+ Post New Thread
MIS Systems Thread, Pastoral Structure - Roles in Technical; Hi everyone I'm fairly new to this forum (And SIMS) and need help with amending the pastoral structure for my ...

Thank Post

Pastoral Structure - Roles

Hi everyone

I'm fairly new to this forum (And SIMS) and need help with amending the pastoral structure for my school in SIMS. The school want the pastoral roles to reflect the roles of "Key Stage Leader", "Year Group Leader", etc. but the only choices available are "Supervisor" and "Pastoral Leader". The SIMS manual tells me to navigate to Focus -School - Pastoral Structure - Group Roles to create new roles but I have no such option available. I've tried giving myself different access rights and SIMS roles (As detailed in the manual) but none of this makes a difference to the available menus. Can anyone help?

I'm probably being incredibly dense here but I'm willing to risk appearing stupid if it gets me the answer I need.

Any help would be greatly appreciated
    Last edited by mikeTP; 21st August 2009 at 03:48 AM. Reason: Typing error

Thank Post
    In the Pastoral Structure page, for the correct Year, right click the Pastoral Structure heading and then add New School Tier - name it KS3. Repeat for KS4. You can then assign the Head of each Stage.
    Move your Year Groups (with Reg Groups) into these Tiers. Assign the Head of Year as appropriate again using right click.

We have exactly this setting that you require.

I am not so sure I would want to make these changes so close to the new school year, however. Ensure you have an up-to-date backup that works! And be careful you do not lose some of your data as you move it - years and classes in particular!
    Last edited by Sivadam; 21st August 2009 at 08:58 AM.

3. Thanks to Sivadam from:

mikeTP (21st August 2009)

Thank Post
    Thanks for that - I've got a test server so I'll try it out on there first. Does this automatically create new role names associated with the new tiers?

Thank Post
    Whatever you type in as the Tier gives you the Role.
    Our Pastoral Structure says KS4 Manager (rather than just KS4).
    However, there is no such default role in System Manager though you could create your own, maybe by cloning the Pastoral Manager Role and then editing accordingly.
    It does give these staff access to all AM7 Data etc associated with any pupil in that Group (KS or Year etc.)

6. Thanks to Sivadam from:

mikeTP (21st August 2009)

Thank Post
    That is exactly the info I needed - Many thanks once again

Thank Post
    No probs.
    Are you a member of Capita SupportNet? There are very many expert users of SIMS on there.
    Some contributors here have a very negative view of SIMS.
    I think this is partly because some do not really understand how you can mould SIMS to suit the needs of the establishment you are working in.
    Last edited by Sivadam; 21st August 2009 at 10:00 AM.

Thank Post
    Yes - I've got a Capita subscription but its a difficult site to navigate or find information on. As you say there are a lot of good people on there though. I've not had time to become positive or negative about SIMS yet. I just need to make it work!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeTP View Post
    ... I've got a Capita subscription but its a difficult site to navigate or find information on ...
    You may recognise my Avatar on SupportNet in the Forums! Use them when you have a problem as well as looking at Web Support, Solution Search. If you had posted there first I would have picked up your query earlier.

I only joined these forums as a contributor to try and change the opinion of those users with negative attitudes. I had been reading these Forums for quite a while before I started my 'crusade' and could not believe some of the comments I was reading, many of which were blatantly untrue.

Good luck with the setup - and with your time with SIMS.
    SIMS is an excellent system but the person in charge of it really does need to have a comprehensive knowledge of all parts, to enable the school to utilise it to it's full potential.
    Last edited by Sivadam; 21st August 2009 at 10:09 AM.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Sivadam View Post
    No probs.
    Are you a member of Capita SupportNet. There are very many expert users of SIMS on there.
    Some contributors here have a negative view of SIMS.
    I think this is partly because some do not really understand how you can mould SIMS to suit the needs of the establishment you are working in.
    Yes there are some negative views but plenty of positive views.

Capita will always have negative view from some people just as RM and Microsoft do. That is an issue that companies that have a major share in a market area have to deal with to be honest they do not care that's life.

As for SupportNet and peoples views on it well of course official forum will be less critical than an independent forum . The same as RM Communities is more positive to RM as it is their official community. This is very much case with Capita due to some heavy handed techniques used in past.

Then again it maybe said certain people on support net have a negative view of EduGeek.net on SupportNet

There is place for EduGeek.net and SupportNet people will go for support to where they feel is best place to go it is not one or the other. We all live together in harmony

To be honest there is no one good MIS system they all have their faults Capita have some positives and Sims.net lot better than old stuff the old stuff wasn't bad it just grew to quick for them to keep up and in rush to get stuff out made some bad choices and brought number of bugs in. Capita are well aware of the issues they have and they seem to be working on it.

As for people not knowing how to use it I agree but 99.9% of schools do not. In fact I would say large % of LSU do not have good grasp of best practice of the usage of Sims.net.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by russdev View Post
    As for people not knowing how to use it I agree but 99.9% of schools do not. In fact I would say large % of LSU do not have good grasp of best practice of the usage of Sims.net.
    You see - I can agree with some posts!

Maybe 99.9% is a little exaggerated though!

Thank Post
    Are you sure it's as low as 99.9% ;-)

Thank Post
    I didn't say which way it was exaggerated tho' .....
    Last edited by Sivadam; 21st August 2009 at 12:39 PM.

Thank Post
    I thought about putting key stage supervisors into sims, but there is the issue of responsibility for students on ks4 courses whilst in year 9 -I treat these as ks4 for marksheets but they are in ks3 tutor groups...

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread