My technical colleague at the school I was working at earlier this week sent me the following message:
Number6 is right. I did create the firewall exception that you mentioned, but that alone wasn’t sufficient so I turned the firewall off completely pending investigation of other port usage (I apologise for not making that clearer on Tuesday).
At some point next week I want to sit down with TCPView
and figure out exactly what SIMS clients are making use of. It’s possible that they’re using randomly-assigned high-range ports, in which case you’d have to create firewall rules on the server that allowed SQL and any other SIMS server-side binaries to accept connections on any port.
I’ll let you know what I find out.
I'll post here again with any further information that comes my way.