+ Post New Thread
MIS Systems Thread, Parental consent section in Sims in Technical; We’ve been asking parents for their consent to have their childrens photos on the school website. Now, I see in ...
    Thank Post

Parental consent section in Sims

We’ve been asking parents for their consent to have their childrens photos on the school website.

Now, I see in Sims when I bring up a pupils details, there is a parental consent section and in there, there are 6 check boxes, copyright, internet access, photograph, sex education, data exchange and school visit. I wonder if this might be a good place to register when a parent has given their consent?

However, try as I might I can see no way to run a report to check which pupils have the boxes checked.

Is there a better way?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Jobos View Post
    We’ve been asking parents for their consent to have their childrens photos on the school website.

Now, I see in Sims when I bring up a pupils details, there is a parental consent section and in there, there are 6 check boxes, copyright, internet access, photograph, sex education, data exchange and school visit. I wonder if this might be a good place to register when a parent has given their consent?

However, try as I might I can see no way to run a report to check which pupils have the boxes checked.

Is there a better way?
    You should be able to run a report using the UDF field. I have just checked and this will give a true/false report when run

Thank Post
    You can report on parental consent, it is however, picky.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,381 Times in 1,143 Posts
    when designing a report on the student focus there's a section for parental consent, you could choose from where consent is given or where not, which is odd. rather than choose each consent individually, it's set up in a strange fashion to just be true case or false case.

so the output to a table or excel is such that you get a list of the different categories of consent given.

you'd have to do some post report manual processing to get a list of say every student where the photograph consent is given, by searching for the keyword in the field. sucks

i feel a change request coming on.....

who wants to volunteer...?

Thank Post
    Might be needed as a core function anyway as a result of things like partner xchange...

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by vikpaw View Post
    i feel a change request coming on.....

who wants to volunteer...?

It's possible to do it now, just picky. I think it's an issue with the reporting engine rather then the data fields, so just a question of waiting for the new [reporting] engine.

If it isn't changed in the new version I think there will be a lot of unhappy people.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,381 Times in 1,143 Posts
    my bad,
    was being silly because it looks odd.

the first parental consent just shows the consents given

the second one listed with the little blue table lets you run a sub-query with prompt at run time tick box selection. when you add that field, it usually gives you a count, when you go to make a subquery the next screen looks like it has no fields but the very top one 'parental consent' which looked to me like a title is a field. add that, so that you can untick the 'display all records with no such' box and you can add a filter for where parental consent is one of .... check box like usual. the only available checkboxes in the drop down were boxes where i've had a tick, so presumably if there was a student with the remaining boxes ticked they would become active too.

i hope that makes sense...

is that what you meant by 'picky'? it looks just like a regular sub-queried report now, just a bit confusing to look at.

i'd show a screen dump but can't find a print screen key on this mac, and i'm remote desktopping at the mo'.
    Last edited by vikpaw; 28th July 2009 at 10:14 AM.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread