+ Post New Thread
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast
MIS Systems Thread, SIMS ZIS Agent in Technical; Originally Posted by LawrenceRoyston I would argue that using open source in this type of situation could compromise security. Use ...
    Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by LawrenceRoyston View Post
    I would argue that using open source in this type of situation could compromise security. Use of commercial products, when they are sensibly priced is surely the way to go.
    How could open source compromise security? I would be interested to know how you can substantiate that remark?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,784 Times in 1,107 Posts
    Blog Entries
    @LawrenceRoyston

Common discussions about the use of open source systems when dealing with high-risk data connections is that due to the nature of the open code it can be more vulnerable to specific targets rather than the random (but often concerted) attempts to break proprietary systems.

Six of one ... half a dozen of another. BIND is an open system, yet it suffers from no more problems really that DNS based on AD (in fact the AD based system gets attacked via other means) in proportion to the usage.

If there is an open source ZIS out there that meets all the criteria, is pulled down and check summed from a validated location, only allows connections from validated and certified SIF Agents ... then what is the issue? If we are going to be fussy then we could say that we don't want to have a windows based ZIS as it is at greater risk of viruses as Windows is targeted more than any other system!

I am all for the marketplace saying that something is a good option but slamming open source as a solution due to 'security' ... are we delving back to FUD again? I'm happy to pay for SIF Agents as that is something I would expect to do to connect to particular solutions to and from the ZIS, but from ZIS to Moodle ... if someone develops it and it is certifiable then what is the issue?

OFS

Thank Post
    Hi,

All these issues with data access are generally down to topology. There are no insurmountable flaws with the SIF specification as it stands.

Security issues with open source software is an already well debated topic. Everyday security often comes down to software being well written, well maintained and regularly and swiftly updated.

If you are after a ZIS that conforms to the standards you could look at the open-source OFSZIS OFSZIS.co.uk which supports the full UK & US SIF specification (With both push and pull support).
    OFSZIS also has added security that is transparent to the agents.
    It is still in 'Beta' and requires more testing and a little more work on the logging features but we are not far from having a finished ZIS that should pass the certification. I would like OFSZIS certified as soon a possible but the charges for certification are quite heigh.

I may post some topology examples on the OFSZIS wiki with diagrams soon as this is indeed a rather confusing area.

Matt - OFSZIS Developer
    Last edited by OFS; 29th July 2009 at 05:42 PM. Reason: Chance URL to link.

4. Thanks to OFS from:

Ian_ICTDS (29th July 2009)

Thank Post
    I have got a reply back from SIF UK.

The main point of the email to them what do see if there was any discount available for open source products and the short answer is no.

Anyone who develops a SIF Agent or ZIS Server will need to be a SIF UK member so they can have unlimited access to the test suite, this starts at £1250 a year.

To get a product certified you need to pay a certification fee of ~£1400 plus a renewal fee of £335 if no re-testing is needed but if re-testing is needed the renewal fee is~£600, if you update the product you will need to pay ~£600.

There is cheaper membership available for

Government / RBC = £1500
    University = £1000
    LEA = £500
    Colleges = 600
    Schools £235/335 (non voting/voting)

@OFS (matt) i might be able to offer some sponsorship to help the certification cost (PM Me). After the certification process is completed would you be able to develop a open source Moodle ZIS agent?

Thank Post
    Penfold, how much did Capita charge you for there Business Objects?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by matt40k View Post
    Penfold, how much did Capita charge you for there Business Objects?
    As I was asking on behalf of a school nothing but they didn't release the full documentation, apparently there is 10gb of documentation but i have yet to see this exists.

The furtherest i got was logging in through the business objects but that's where the documentation stopped, i couldn't work out how to get at the pupils records without an documentation.

If i wanted to be a capita partner it would be £5000 and bound by a restricted NDA that's not compatible with open source.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian_ICTDS View Post
    Back to OpenZIS, I’ve just been reading up on it. Looks like it is designed to only pull data from agents and not push it back. Might be useful for an authority that wants to collect a load of data from schools but not much use for real interoperability.
    Real interoperability is not based on your agents ability to do PULL or PUSH capability. What PUSH can do for you is that it limits the polling of a ZIS for messages. Your Interoperability is not effected.

9. Thanks to openZIS from:

Ian_ICTDS (7th August 2009)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by openZIS View Post
    Real interoperability is not based on your agents ability to do PULL or PUSH capability. What PUSH can do for you is that it limits the polling of a ZIS for messages. Your Interoperability is not effected.
    Hi,

Thanks for the clarification. By the way, do you have any experience of OpenZIS been used in the UK?

Ian.

Thank Post

SIF UK

Ian - We have had many people contact us in regards to OpenZIS UK - but I don't know of any production sites currently in the UK. - OpenZIS

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by openZIS View Post
    Push facilitates more than just limiting polling of data, is allows for tighter integration.
    Tasks can be reactive to data change instead of scheduled allowing for real time data viewing.

Thank Post
    Not so!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by PhilNeal View Post
    Not so!
    Care to expand?

If a ZIS only supported Pull and you have the possibility of 10 Agents per school polling every 10 seconds and over 150+ schools, the load the ZIS will be under will be huge, but if the ZIS supported Push the load on the ZIS will be reduced as messages would only be created when data changed.

Thank Post
    Sorry I was far too cryptic. We wouldn’t poll for changes that frequently as we’d be worried about overloading the servers. PX polls every 2 minutes or so which is fine for many uses but it isn’t real-time.

I’m concerned that some people think they can drive a parental web site using SIF. As SIF is asynchronous performance cannot be guaranteed and screens could take 4 minutes to display. You then have to keep a duplicate data store which is refreshed periodically.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by PhilNeal View Post
    Sorry I was far too cryptic. We wouldn’t poll for changes that frequently as we’d be worried about overloading the servers. PX polls every 2 minutes or so which is fine for many uses but it isn’t real-time.

I’m concerned that some people think they can drive a parental web site using SIF. As SIF is asynchronous performance cannot be guaranteed and screens could take 4 minutes to display. You then have to keep a duplicate data store which is refreshed periodically.
    So i could be possible for PX to be waiting for a request for 4 minutes while trying to poll again after 2 minutes of waiting?

Thank Post

push and pull

I wrote an article about this at SIFPlace.com and what happens especially when you start sharing applications between schools at the LA and RBC level. (It's the one on SIF scalability)

The short of it is that if you had (if I remember correctly) 10 shared "pull mode" applications (in a multi-zone environment) at the RBC level and they polled once a minute, you would have something like 3,000,000 messages an hour going back and forth on your network before you transfer any data.

Not as much of a big deal when everything is local to a school, but becomes significant when two or more schools start sharing things...

have a good one

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast