+ Post New Thread
MIS Systems Thread, SQL license query for CMIS in Technical; I am upgrading SQL server 2000 to 2005. We only use it for CMIS. We run CMIS from a networked ...

Thank Post

SQL license query for CMIS

I am upgrading SQL server 2000 to 2005.
    We only use it for CMIS. We run CMIS from a networked drive mapped on the server. Can anybody please clarify if I need client licenses for the computers. Thank You

Thank Post
    Hi, yes, you need a client license for every user simultaneously accessing it. That includes ePortal users.
    e.g ten office staff with only 8 accessing it simultaneously, and 100 teaching staff, with 70 accessing it simultaneously would need 78 licenses. Don't forget aobut students and contacts.
    As an alternative you could purchase a processor license, which goes on physical processors, not cores. I.E. 1 quad core processor = 1 SQL license, 2x dual core processors, 2 x processor licenses.

Hope this helps.
    Mic in tech @ serco

3. Thanks to michael2k6 from:

tmcd35 (16th July 2009)

Thank Post
    Thanks for the reply.

The server has got 2 quad core xeon processors.

Do I only need to buy 2 processor licences. Are there no client licenses needed when you buy processor licenses.

Thank Post
    No CALs required when buying processor licenses.Really the only way to go with an MIS if having external access for parents etc.

Thank Post
    Just spoken to Ramesys, according to them as there is no installation required on the client side to run CMIS. There is no need for CALs. We dont have parent access and it is only used within school.

I have copied below Per Processor model from Microsoft, it doesnt mention anything about CALs
    Can anybody please point to more information as different suppliers are saying different things.

TERMS SPECIFIC TO THE PER PROCESSOR LICENSE MODEL.
    a. Licensing a Server. Before you run instances of the server software on a server, you must determine the required
    number of software licenses and assign those licenses to that server as described below.
    i. Determining the Number of Licenses Required. You must first determine the number of software licenses
    you need. The total number of software licenses required for a server equals the sum of the software licenses
    required under (A) and (B) below.
    A. To run instances of the server software in the physical operating system environment on a server, you need
    a software license for each physical processor that the physical operating system environment uses.
    B. To run instances of the server software in virtual operating system environments on a server, you need a
    software license for each virtual processor that each of those virtual operating system environments uses.
    If a virtual operating system environment uses a fraction of a virtual processor, the fraction counts as a
    full virtual processor.
    b. Assigning the Required Number of Licenses to the Server.
    i. After you determine the number of software licenses you need for a server, you must assign that number
    of software licenses to that server. That server is the licensed server for all of those licenses. You may not
    assign the same license to more than one server. A hardware partition or blade is considered to be a
    separate server.
    ii. You may reassign the software license, but not within 90 days of the last assignment. You may reassign a
    software license sooner if you retire the licensed server due to permanent hardware failure. If you reassign a
    license, the server to which you reassign the license becomes the new licensed server for that license.
    c. Running Instances of the Server Software. For each server to which you have assigned the required number
    of software licenses, you may run, at any one time, any number of instances of the server software in physical and
    virtual operating system environments on the licensed server. However, the total number of physical and virtual
    processors used by those operating system environments cannot exceed the number of software licenses assigned
    to that server.
    d. Running Instances of the Additional Software. You may run or otherwise use any number of instances of
    additional software listed below on any number of devices. You may use additional software only with the server
    software directly, or indirectly through other additional software.
    Analysis Services Shared Tools
    Business Intelligence Development Studio
    SQL Server 2005 Books Online
    Connectivity Components
    Legacy Components
    Management Tools
    Notification Services Client Components
    Reporting Services Report Manager
    Reporting Services Shared Tools
    SQL Server 2005 Shared Tools
    Software Development Kit
    SQLXML Client Features
    SQL Server Mobile Server Tools
    e. Creating and Storing Instances on Your Servers or Storage Media. You have the additional rights below for
    each software license you acquire.
    You may create any number of instances of the server software and additional software.
    You may store instances of the server software and additional software on any of your servers or storage
    media.
    You may create and store instances of the server software and additional software solely to exercise your right
    to run instances of the server software under any of your software licenses as described above (e.g., you may
    not distribute instances to third parties).
    f. Included Microsoft Programs. The Software contains other Microsoft programs. The license terms with those
    programs apply to your use of them.

Thank Post
    CMIS doesn't require a client-side installation - but you do run the client program on the station so need EITHER a CAL for EVERY station that will access CMIS or ePortal, OR a license for each processor on the SQL server.

http://www.microsoft.com/sqlserver/2...aspx#licensing

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
    Thanks for the reply.

The server has got 2 quad core xeon processors.

Do I only need to buy 2 processor licences. Are there no client licenses needed when you buy processor licenses.
    Indeed, The options are

SQL Server License + CAL for each user/device

or

SQL Server CPU License for each CPU in the SQL server

Thank Post
    Whether the application is installed locally or on the server is irrelevant.
    Think of it in this sense - if that was the case you wouldn't need any licensing to run it with web based applications such as ePortal.
    Each user connected to ePortal needs their own CAL as it is classed as 'multiplexing' software (not 5 CALS, as the dataserver creates 5 connections to the db by default).

If you go with processor licensing it's expandable to an unlimited amount, and yes for 2 quad cores you'd need 2 proc licenses.

Everything said by DMcCoy and Diello.

If you would like to discuss it further PM me and i'll send you my mobile number. I'd also be interested to know who you spoke to at Ramesys so i can give them a ring and discuss it - the less people get the wrong information with regards to SQL Licensing when running Facility / ePortal the better. Of course, as Serco do not resell SQL and can only advise on licensing, it would not be Serco's responsibility to adhere to the licensing rules - but i'd still rather people got the correct information. If you're willing to give me the name of the person at Ramesys and maybe a phone number, please PM me it rather than posting it public.

As Diello said, think about expantion and strongly consider proc licensing. Please also note that getting an educational license is about half the cost of a commercial license so make sure you're getting the right one. Though Ramesys should by default sell you this.

Mic @ Serco

N.B: The contents of this post are my personal opinion and unrelated to my employer or any organisations asscocisted with my employer.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread