+ Post New Thread
MIS Systems Thread, Sims.net: Generate a Admin Number Once Accepted but before they are admitted. in Technical; As title says so that we can get usernames on our portal (that needs a admin number for the student). ...

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Sims.net: Generate a Admin Number Once Accepted but before they are admitted.

As title says so that we can get usernames on our portal (that needs a admin number for the student). We need sims.net to generate a admin Number once we have accepted a student but before they are admitted on first day of term.

I am told this can be done as setting change in Sims.net but can't see it.

Any ideas..

Russ

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,438 Times in 1,191 Posts
    Try Tools | Admissions | Defaults

Theres a check box for 'Enter Defaults on Admit', on mine it's ticked. perhaps unticking will apply the settings earlier....?

My admissions module isn't working at the moment so can't test, sorry. I tried unchecking the box but on the new applicant screen admission number is still greyed out, but as my problem is i can't save new applicants i can't test accepting one yet....

Let me know how you get on, as this year we are changing our usernames to match the admission number so it would be useful in the future.

At the moment we are just adding students directly onto the students area with a future date of admission!

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Ticked on mine so if untick it won;t admit them early will it ...

Russ

Thank Post
    no i just think it means it will apply defaults sooner....?
    don't you have a test setup?
    as i said i cant test for you as my db has a flaw with the admissions part

Thank Post
    Russ could you raise a case please. My memory is letting me down but there is a legal issue around when the AdNo can be issued. Also you might also be breaking DP rules by using this field as a link to another system but again I'm not an expert. (bit of a useless post really - sorry)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Well won't be a issue in the fact it using in RMs KLP and we have agreement to share that data (over secure https connection etc).

I know there is legal issue admitting them early as all to do with attendance but it is if sims sees a user with admin number as admitted or not.

Will have to raise the case with local support team etc

Russ

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by PhilNeal View Post
    ....... My memory is letting me down but there is a legal issue around when the AdNo can be issued. Also you might also be breaking DP rules by using this field as a link to another system but again I'm not an expert. (bit of a useless post really - sorry)
    Where do i stand if i want the admission number to be the network username?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,828 Times in 1,135 Posts
    Blog Entries
    This is one of the things we used to do over at Brooke Weston. Each year you specify the start number for that intake (based on the year of entry eg 97 for 1997) and each student that is accepted was allocated an admission number. This did result in some gaps were accepted students did not become admitted (a rare occurrence).

It also allowed for manual creation of admission numbers too, so that should a new student join in year 9 then they could have the same starting identifier on their admission number (eg when they started in year 7 they were 97xx ... the last one being 97180 ... so the student joining in year 9 could be 97181).

As long as each admission number is unique there is not a problem.

The exceptions were sixth formers ...

I honestly can't remember how we got the accepted students with firm admission numbers but you have to accept that you will have non-sequential numbering due to some students not being admitted.

Thank Post
    Our plan is to use just the admission number and nothing else. The full admission number; most now have a prefix of A, and usually a leading zero, so it's not hard to remember. A typical one would be A04567 the unique part being the last 4 digits.

It's fairly easy after a while for the kids to remember. If they forget, we use Lesson Monitor and show a column that has the admission number. Also we are using it as the library barcode in Oliver, so they have it printed and stuck into their planners as labels, it's also on the back of their ID cards as a barcode.

So much easier to use the same code for everything and by using it as is, there's no need to mess around editing it, adding prefixes of years or anything.

We'll add them all to containers in AD as groups, and on creation add notes and descriptions so we know what year and reg group the students are in. Which we can change in bulk by script later if we want.

The only issue would have been that teachers have access to the students' files and used to go in via explorer and browse by name, i'm replacing that to be on the intranet with a webpage for access (bit of a pain for the MACs!) so even the teachers can't complain as i'll map the real name to the folder name.

Thank Post
    VikPaw, as far as you are concerned there won't be an issue with UK law. I'm still fairly sure you can't use something like an admission number to link systems together as a number issued for one purpose shouldn't be used for another.

Thank Post
    Thanks Phil.

I guess i am linking systems together using that number in one sense because i'm using the unique number that SIMS generates and forcing all my other systems to use that as well for their unique ID numbers.

So the admission number is like one global primary key for all of our systems. I can't see why that would be a problem though. It's all for internal use anyway.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by PhilNeal View Post
    VikPaw, as far as you are concerned there won't be an issue with UK law. I'm still fairly sure you can't use something like an admission number to link systems together as a number issued for one purpose shouldn't be used for another.
    I probably should make something clear the admin number is used to identify a record not used as login. RM KLP uses UPN and Admin numbers to make sure that only got one record per student. It then generates a username (not using the upn or admin number).

Russ

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,828 Times in 1,135 Posts
    Blog Entries
    A a catch-all you could specify that you will use AdNo as an identifier to exchange with others you have data exchange agreements where the use of UPN can be assisted by the use of the AdNo.

To be honest, if you are using the UPN then there is no need to use the AdNo as the UPN is *the* unique reference for students. Remember that Becta have checked with the ICO about the use of UPNs within the platforms provided by those on the Becta Learning Platform Framework. Although not explicitly mentioning other providers of platforms / VLEs the same rules do apply.

Thank Post

Admission numbers

We find we need admission numbers for several purposes before the new Year 7 are admitted. Examples include cashless catering cards, identifier for school photographers, identifier for school computer access. We could not wait until September to sort all this out without causing significant inconvenience to lots of people.
    To achieve this we admit the students once the list is as final as possible (early July) but make sure the date of admission is set to the start of the new term. Then if you produce a report and set the correct date as a parameter all is well.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread