+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
MIS Systems Thread, Moving from SQL Server 2005 to 2008 in Technical; Originally Posted by matt40k @ArchersIT You seem to be forgetting that Capita are using Visual Studio and good support is ...
    Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by matt40k View Post
    @ArchersIT
    You seem to be forgetting that Capita are using Visual Studio and good support is only 5 years.

I can't see why people moan, we're in the education sector, we get great discounts, guarantee money each year so we can have a rolling replacement cycle. If we can't keep up-to-date, who can!
    I dont think I am forgetting anything. SQL 2005 will not stop working in April 2011. Microsoft will still support it if you ring them - however they will not make any more changes to it. If Capita have found a problem in SQL 2005 that required Microsoft to make changes I would be very surprised. We are still running applications with the database hosted on SQL 2000 and when I ring Microsoft for support they are still happy that the database is hosted on SQL 2000 and will provide me with support - so I would not expect Capita to have any problems with an application hosted on SQL 2005.

If they are wanting us to migrate to SQL 2008 for other reasons (features etc) then that is fine - just dont blame Microsoft. I also think it is a bit of a cheek to wait for a year after SQL 2008 is release to start supporting it and yet insist that everyone else jumps at the same time.

However, my point was also that they are focussing on SQL 2005-2008 when they will have exactly the same support scenario with Server 2003-2008 and are not mentioning this.

On a separate note, while I agree with the "great discounts" part of your paragraph we do not all get guaranteed money each year and so we do not all have a rolling replacment cycle.

Jonathan

Thank Post
    But when you get the DCSF etc going, here is an new file, you're forced to use new technology, which the old Microsoft technology doesn't support your forced to upgrade. Windows 7 is fast coming, 32bit support will be dropped soon, a fair while later 64bit will drop off the face of the earth. It's best to keep up-to-date then have the troubles later on, I'm thinking FMS moving to .net... that's going to be fun. Total re-write.

I was under the impression that schools got funded per student etc and that a certain percentage was forced to be used on ICT. So I think this would leave independent and special schools with a unknown number of regular students that would have a problem, have I missed anyone?

Thank Post
    I agree with you (at least I agree with what I think you are saying) in that upgrades have to be done because technology is moving on and there are ofteb features that you wish to use. I also agree in that it is best to keep up to date if possible.

My point is that Capita are being inconsistent.
    1. They want us to upgrade but will not support new platforms (i.e. SQL 2008) for a year after launch. ISTR that vista support also took a long time - does anyone have any information on the support for Windows 7?
    2. They want to move us to SQL 2008 and are using Microsoft's support cycle as justification. However, they are not mentioning Server 2003 -2008 which has the same support cycle and justifications.

As to funding - you are correct in that the schools get money per student with a certain percentage earmarked for ICT - but it is not ringfenced which means it is down to the head/governing body how much is actually allocated to ICT.

Jonathan

Thank Post
    I would wait till 2010 Specky.

And tell your admin staff you'll do it for £200 per day.

Butuz

5. Thanks to Butuz from:

speckytecky (9th July 2009)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ArchersIT View Post
    I agree with you (at least I agree with what I think you are saying) in that upgrades have to be done because technology is moving on and there are ofteb features that you wish to use. I also agree in that it is best to keep up to date if possible.

My point is that Capita are being inconsistent.
    1. They want us to upgrade but will not support new platforms (i.e. SQL 2008) for a year after launch. ISTR that vista support also took a long time - does anyone have any information on the support for Windows 7?
    2. They want to move us to SQL 2008 and are using Microsoft's support cycle as justification. However, they are not mentioning Server 2003 -2008 which has the same support cycle and justifications.

As to funding - you are correct in that the schools get money per student with a certain percentage earmarked for ICT - but it is not ringfenced which means it is down to the head/governing body how much is actually allocated to ICT.

Jonathan
    I was under the impression that there was a mark that not even the head\governing body could affect. Anyway, I digress...

Capita likes to wait to test. I believe Windows 7 is support 6 months after the inital release. Which isn't that bad, so you can roll out Windows 7 over the next summer holidays without any major issues.

7. Thanks to matt40k from:

ArchersIT (10th July 2009)

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12