+ Post New Thread
MIS Systems Thread, Relocate SIMS to a new server in Technical; Is there more to creating a new SIMS server than just attaching the databases on to the new SQL instance. ...
    Thank Post

Relocate SIMS to a new server

Is there more to creating a new SIMS server than just attaching the databases on to the new SQL instance. There probably is, but does someone have an idiots guide to the best solution?

Many thanks

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,383 Times in 1,145 Posts
    Try this thread if not, i do have a word document that a colleague gave me that gave full instructions:

new sims server setup

3. Thanks to vikpaw from:

KWestos (13th July 2009)

Thank Post
    Take a backup before you start. Contact your local SIMS support team for a guide\help, reason I say this is most guides I've seen around here miss off B2B, which would nark your LA off. FMS has a habit of "losing" your FMS users' passwords, there is a command you can run on the old server which ensures there intergrated from the MASTERS into the actual DB. The other method is to deattach, reattach, deattach the db, before moving it.

Alot of debat over which is better, using the raw .mdf\.ldf, or using the .bak, I like the .bak, one file, nice and easy.

One really key thing that again, no one around here seems to do is to make sure you have a clean, up-to-date setups directory. It's worth doing a dry run, setup a VM on your workstation.

One really really key thing is make sure you know all your paths, we in Suffolk use two partitions\drives, we then install everything (minus the SIMS client) to the second drive, even MS SQL, something most people forget about until they run out of disc space and Windows won't boot, or worst still, the hard drive goes and they didn't backup the C drive. Also we install it to the root of S, so the path is S:\mssql.1\... rather the S:\program files\microsoft sql server\mssql.1\...

Simple little thing, but he helps in the long run, you have no idea how much of a pain it is typing in C:\program files\... is when you have SMT breaking down your neck.

5. Thanks to matt40k from:

KWestos (13th July 2009)

Thank Post
    Also forgot to say about scheduled tasks, if you run Lesson monitor you'll want to schedule a regular archive (OK yearly), also dbattach backup, it's suppose to truncate the SQL logs

Thank Post
    @ Matt40k

How do you get a clean setups folder, I have just copied the rather full one from my current server. I pulled the June .iso down but it only contains updates, no SIMSInst file. Is it a case of deleting all of the update files and just using the file I currently have?

LA support are saying this is a chargeable service and refusing to provide any help.

Skunk

Thank Post
    You need to ask for the latest installable SIMS and FMS iso, as well as the latest SIMS\FMS .iso.

The installable has simsinst and fmsinst. Generally I just use 7zip to extract the files. I'll write a little guide when I get a chance if you want.

9. Thanks to matt40k from:

skunk (23rd July 2009)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,383 Times in 1,145 Posts
    @skunk
    here's the doc' couldn't attach it to message.

it was provided to me by someone i met at a sims conference, i had a few errors on attaching the database. i lost all logins and had to go back to default, so, i couldn't use it live without resetting the password for all users. it was okay for testing though.

at the moment i've never risked anything on the live server, just playing with virtual machines. i'd suggest you do the same.

i'm currently trying to add FMS to my virtual sims server but am having problems too!

if you need any help just get in touch again. i've just secured the lastest fmsinst from a very helpful member
    haven't got it to work yet though!

vik
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by vikpaw; 23rd July 2009 at 01:19 PM.

11. Thanks to vikpaw from:

skunk (23rd July 2009)

Thank Post
    CD arrived from Capita and have now installed on Win 2k8, which has been someting of a learning experience.

I have a question about permissions on the SIMS share. Should this be full control for the necessary users (as some of the software allows you to write back, nova, exams, plasc, etc) or should I try to hide the contents from users view. Or should I utilise some more complex set of permissions.

Thank Post
    We just finished putting a new SIMS on a 64bit system and as SIMS is still 32bit the following may help.

run the lines below if you get cscript error as it fixed ours

%SYSTEMDRIVE%\inetpub\adminscripts\adsutil.vbs SET W3SVC/AppPools/Enable32bitAppOnWin64 1

and

%SYSTEMDRIVE%\inetpub\adminscripts\adsutil.vbs SET W3SVC/AppPools/Enable32bitAppOnWin64 0

14. Thanks to smadison from:

skunk (30th July 2009)

Thank Post
    Now that would have been good to know, but we only have a 32bit install of SQL2005 which seemed to cause problems.

Will attack 2K8 64 bit (again) tomorrow with your instructions and see how we get on.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread