+ Post New Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
MIS Systems Thread, SIMS and Windows 7 in Technical; This doesnt really change the fact that the OS is not even at general release yet, i dont even think ...

Thank Post
    This doesnt really change the fact that the OS is not even at general release yet, i dont even think the major software titles like CS4 officially support windows 7 yet. Everyone is getting a little ahead of themselves i think, this suddern rush by a number of sites to start deploying it isnt something Capita was likely to expect given that it probably wont be croping up in business's for little a while yet.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Gatt View Post
    Works here...
    what works? FMS? System Manager 6?

Thank Post
    Dont suppose anyone has FMS, System manager etc working yet within Windows 7 32bit without using the virtual XP mode?

Thank Post
    It... isn't... supported... don't... waste... your... time... wait!

From the dev's own mouth:
    Alex Cutler (SIMSdev) on Twitter

2:58 AM Aug 7th
    Full release of Window 7.0 now out. There are problems with SIMS on it (particularly with FMS). Working on it now!

12:35 AM Aug 10th
    Still progressing with early release of Windows 7.0; huge improvement on Vista - but some problems in SIMS that we must fix, doing now!

Thank Post
    Matt - just as I suggested agood few posts ago.
    It seems some of 'em don't listen!
    (or read!)

Many don't use SupportNet or Twitter or LinkedIn, so is it any wonder that such posts appear here ........?
    Strange .....!

Thank Post
    To sit there saying "We don't listen or read" is incredibly condescending and rude. We know it's not supported and we DO read supportnet. But not supported doesn't = Not working at all, nor does it mean we can't discuss workarounds for simple issues.

I only use Sims for basic tasks on my workstation, so it's fine for me. Of course we're not going to deploy windows 7 with Sims installed network wide until it's supported officially
    Last edited by DrCheese; 19th August 2009 at 03:01 PM.

Thank Post
    This is a public forum. Saying you got it working makes some people think it works, which makes them thing they can deploy it on a live system. Ok, some bits work, but there are a lot of bugs. You can't be 100% sure where the bugs are either. So if you mess up your schools system, I'm sure they won't be happy with Capita saying your unsupported and that it's chargable.

Yes you may read SupportNet, but not everyone does. I really, really, can't see the point of trying SIMS on Windows 7. It isn't support, Capita have said they know there are bugs. People on here have said to use the XP virtual mode, which I really can't see the point of doing. If you really want to play with Windos 7, fine, make yourself a virtual image of XP and have SIMS in, or use another machine. Don't waste the tax payers money trying something that isn't going to work.

[RANT OVER]

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Gibbo View Post

Lets say that Capita did test SIMs on a Beta Windows 7 and they found a bug, which was reported to Microsoft. Who then makes the fix - Capita or MS? What if they both make changes and then when the official release of Windos 7 comes out it doesn't work?
    If the bug was in SIMS, Capita would fix it. If the bug was in Windows 7, Microsoft would fix it. It is the fundamental changes in the operating system which would most likely affect how software would work on that OS, and they would be present in a beta and subsequently tweaked or removed in a later beta or release candidate. These are ideal times to test the software, as by the time it hits RTM there is very little time to test further before the OS is made available to the public. RTM is probably a good time to validate the changes made ready to provide a compatible version when the OS is released.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by scebe427 View Post
    If the bug was in SIMS, Capita would fix it. If the bug was in Windows 7, Microsoft would fix it. It is the fundamental changes in the operating system which would most likely affect how software would work on that OS, and they would be present in a beta and subsequently tweaked or removed in a later beta or release candidate. These are ideal times to test the software, as by the time it hits RTM there is very little time to test further before the OS is made available to the public. RTM is probably a good time to validate the changes made ready to provide a compatible version when the OS is released.
    You need to address this to Capita if you feel they should change how they develop. It still doesn't change my point. SIMS isn't Win7 ready.

Thank Post
    Yes you tell Capita they should be spending there time vailidating SIM's for an operating system that only just out the door so all those techys with Win 7 love can run it on there desktops and leave the bug fixes for the next release

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,859 Times in 1,153 Posts
    Blog Entries
    When doing testing it is good practice for only one product to be beta at any time.
    If the application is an existing app then it always falls one level below that of the OS, even if it is a tried and tested app.
    If the OS is beta then the application is alpha, when the OS is RTM then the application is beta. RC is still a beta / test version ... just a very nearly finished version.

Thank Post
    This doesnt really change the fact that the OS is not even at general release yet
    Nope it doesn't, but as a serious long-term dev I recall going to PDCs specifically to collect betas of 2K (devs were pretty much first in line for obvious reasons), using early versions of VMWare to test code against a collection of OSs & environments including OS betas. And when RTMs of anything came around you already knew everything worked fine on it's predecessors and following timely QA on the RTM, for there was rarely anything much that needed tweaking for userland client-server code.

The difference here I suppose is a long period of relative stability with XP/2K3 where devs could get quite complacent, and of course the smaller risk of people moving to someone else's product that does work (and is supported) on the latest platform.

-28° 31' 48.89", +28° 25' 37.42" ... if only.
    Thank Post
    SimsDev on Twitter says "Still progressing with early release of Windows 7.0; huge improvement on Vista - but some problems in SIMS that we must fix, doing now!"

Which would strongly suggest Capita are well into working on W7

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by creese View Post
    .... Which would strongly suggest Capita are well into working on W7
    Exactly .........

Thank Post
    2:58 AM Aug 7th
    Full release of Window 7.0 now out. There are problems with SIMS on it (particularly with FMS). Working on it now!

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast