+ Post New Thread
MIS Systems Thread, System Manager access in SIMS.net in Technical; I was just wondering how many people within your environments have access into SIMS.net with the System Manager level of ...

Thank Post

System Manager access in SIMS.net

I was just wondering how many people within your environments have access into SIMS.net with the System Manager level of access and what their role is within the school.

Where I work I am the only IT technical support member of staff and have recently been told that I shouldn't have this level of access - something I discovered when I could no longer see anything in SIMS.net at all. I have now had most of my privileges returned, but not the System Manager access. I'm also wondering if there is anything else that I won't be able to do within SIMS.net except for the database upgrades and working with user accounts.

Thanks in advance for your replies.

Thank Post
    When I took over at my previous place several people had this access but mostly because there was a lack of understanding on how to issue permissions properly.

Once we sorted that out, only my team had this access and our LA support team.

If they've removed this access from you, you can't perform your job when it comes to working with SIMS accounts which a lot of people would be glad for! Personally, I'd be upset at this decision being made without discussion / clarification of your job description.

Thank Post
    System Manager roles really only gives you permissions to add users, administer the system, etc. Doesn't give you access to confidential data AFAIK.

If they don't want to give you access, that's fine, but make sure they sign a document releasing you from responsibility for all SIMS related work.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Diello View Post
    System Manager roles ... Doesn't give you access to confidential data AFAIK.
    But it does give you the rights to add youself to those groups that can.

HBJB

Thank Post
    ...and Domain Admins gives you the power to read the Head's email, look at the Bursar's list of staff salaries, fake an email to personell giving yourself a 200% payrise... Does that mean no one should have Domain Admins either?

IT has always been a "trust" job.

Thank Post
    Thank you for all the replies so far.

I have spoken to the head this morning about this and been told he will look into it over the next couple of days. I plan to make a list of all the problems I have with this change being made and will keep you informed of how things go on.

Thanks again, and please add more comments - they are, as always, insightful.

Thank Post
    It all depends on whose responsibilty it is to administer SIMS - and I don't mean from a technical point of view.
    Here - I am System Manager as I understand more than others re. how the software works and which Staff should have which access rights.
    Our ICT Services Manager is the Technical guru. He also has System7 access but does not use it for sorting Permissions etc. It is more of a backup procedure in case I am suddenly not around anymore.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,443 Times in 1,891 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Only 2 people here have that access - me and the Bursar. I have it simply because I am the network administrator, so hold all administrator passwords to all software, as it is my responsibility to fix such things, and update them.

The bursar is the one who deals with actually handing out usernames for SIMS.net and the like.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread