+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
MIS Systems Thread, Importing Email Addresses into Sims.NET in Technical; Originally Posted by localzuk export and use your own software to do what you want. Or use someone else's - ...

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by localzuk View Post
    export and use your own software to do what you want.
    Or use someone else's - both me and Penfold_99 seem to be writing the same kind of system, although his seems rather better thought out and somewhat further along than mine.

--
    David Hicks

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by dhicks View Post
    Spare dedicated workstation dedicated to running SIMS tucked away in your server room somewhere running an AutoIt script to fake mouse moves and keyboard entries to enter data.
    Thanks for that, OK so it's a horrible solution but it worked. I gradually built my way up from AutoIt entering a couple of kids to doing whole tutor groups, tomorrow I'll try in year group sized lumps.

Export kids from SIMs in default order, look up via script (Python in my case) their email address from the network, dump this to a file (this then matches when hitting "Next (ctrl >)" on entry page). Get Focus-Student on first student, AutoIT reads email addresses and does all the presses to enter one address then skip to the next.

The only little problem (apart from playing so that things weren't positioned right) was that SIMs tends to die now and then when entering lots of data, apparently a know problem without a solution!

Oh what fun....

tim

Thank Post
    Or use someone else's - both me and Penfold_99 seem to be writing the same kind of system, although his seems rather better thought out and somewhat further along than mine.
    Yes, thanks, I noticed that, was going to visit when I need to do something complicated - our old system would email students their timetables, so it would be nice to do so with SIMS - but as we don't yet have a timetable in our SIMS then I'll have to wait !

Plus, someone is going to say can we get it to talk to moodle at some point !

tim

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by TimH View Post
    our old system would email students their timetables, so it would be nice to do so with SIMS - but as we don't yet have a timetable in our SIMS then I'll have to wait!
    Hey, we just have to figure out timetable creation and you don't have to store timetables in SIMS in the first place.

--
    David Hicks

Thank Post
    Hey, we just have to figure out timetable creation and you don't have to store timetables in SIMS in the first place.

--
    David Hicks
    Linking the timetable to this MIS has all sorts of advantages though. See http://opensourceschools.org.uk/houg...-platform.html

We also link behaviour and reporting to the timetable.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,049 Times in 971 Posts
    Saw this mentioned elsewhere so not sure if its useful or not but just thought I would post this and you lot can post back with feedback etc but what about ecopy ?

SIMS.net Connector for eCopy Desktopô

not sure if any of the other ecopy products / solutions are any good. On that note .....

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mac_shinobi View Post
    what about ecopy?
    I think it was their scan-to-SIMS product we saw last week at Sharp's showroom. It integrates a scanner with SIMS - you use a small LCD panel attached to a photocopier/scanner to pick a student and enter some details ("note from home", etc) then scan in a document that is attached to that student's SIMS record. Nice, and it looked like it worked well, but it did strke me that you could make a system like that very easily. Just get a list of students from SIMS, make each one a folder on a computer somewhere, then hook up a scanner to a dedicated PC with a small touch-screen panel attached and write a program that asks for a student name and drops scanned documents into the appropriate folder.

--
    David Hicks

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,446 Times in 1,894 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I think it was their scan-to-SIMS product we saw last week at Sharp's showroom. It integrates a scanner with SIMS - you use a small LCD panel attached to a photocopier/scanner to pick a student and enter some details ("note from home", etc) then scan in a document that is attached to that student's SIMS record. Nice, and it looked like it worked well, but it did strke me that you could make a system like that very easily. Just get a list of students from SIMS, make each one a folder on a computer somewhere, then hook up a scanner to a dedicated PC with a small touch-screen panel attached and write a program that asks for a student name and drops scanned documents into the appropriate folder.

--
    David Hicks
    The data is then in yet another location, and not attached to a student record in SIMS.

We use another product to do that - called Managed Scan (we get it from Portrayal). Not quite as functional as eCopy in the whole (it is smaller, cheaper and aimed purely at SIMS.net and not extra other document management systems too).

The idea is that everything about a student should be in one place, to remove the cases where someone forgets to check 1 location or other for information.

Thank Post
    I'm running up against a few limitations in SIMS (can you say "plot assessment results against attendance" anybody?) and am considering the roll-your-own method; really, though, it's frustrating because I'd much rather do it all within SIMS. After all, if it's worked in the main system everything's a lot more integrated and simpler, especially if they have a major re-working that breaks external software...

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by MattMitchell View Post
    I'm running up against a few limitations in SIMS (can you say "plot assessment results against attendance" anybody?) and am considering the roll-your-own method
    I'm now writing some charting software to take exam results and spew out pie charts and so on, if that's any help.

--
    David Hicks

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I'm now writing some charting software to take exam results and spew out pie charts and so on, if that's any help.

--
    David Hicks
    If you did it as a webpart for sharepoint, you'd be very popular!

Thank Post
    If you did it as a webpart for sharepoint, you'd be very popular!
    We don't have a sharepoint server, so I don't have the faintest idea about how to go about writing a webpart. I simply have a Python script that chugs through a bunch of CSV files and writes PNG and PDF documents out, all indexed by an HTML file or two. No reason you couldn't simply set the script to output somewhere where your web server will be ablke to serve the files. What is it a webpart does?

--
    David Hicks

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    We don't have a sharepoint server, so I don't have the faintest idea about how to go about writing a webpart. I simply have a Python script that chugs through a bunch of CSV files and writes PNG and PDF documents out, all indexed by an HTML file or two. No reason you couldn't simply set the script to output somewhere where your web server will be ablke to serve the files. What is it a webpart does?

--
    David Hicks
    A webpart is just a compartmentalised web application that runs within sharepoint.

But it has to be in a .net language, and be built in a certain way. Python etc... won't work.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

--
    David Hicks
    *Ask for a student number

due to you wanting it to be unique and to be put in the correct folder in cases of multiple students.

You would also want to run the scan in though a automated system that ads a white area at the bottom to stamp the date, time and staff member id (of the person that scanned it in) for extra protection.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    A webpart is just a compartmentalised web application that runs within sharepoint.

But it has to be in a .net language, and be built in a certain way. Python etc... won't work.
    However, you could use an image web part and just overwrite the file each time you generated a new one.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast