+ Post New Thread
MIS Systems Thread, SLG2 location location location in Technical; It is looking likely we may be heading down the Sims learning gateway route. I'm just looking at the technical ...
    Thank Post

SLG2 location location location

It is looking likely we may be heading down the Sims learning gateway route. I'm just looking at the technical specs for the single site option and it says "SIMS Learning Gateway 2 must not be installed on the same server as SIMS."

Unfortunately we do not have any additional hardware just to run SLG on and no virtualisation until the end of this year which means we would be looking to install it on the SIMS server anyway.

Is anyone sucessfully running SLG and SIMS on the same box? If so do you get much objection from Capita?

sjl
    Thank Post
    Sims learning gateway is basically SharePoint configured with the SIMS webparts. We have a Share Point VLE and will be looking to purchase the SIMS Web Parts soon.

We have one frontend SP2007 server that will have the SIMS Webparts and one SQL 2005 backend database to store all that SharePoint 2007 data. The SIMS APP is on one server and the SIMS database is on another although we are looking at virtualising SIMS in the next few weeks.

To run a Sharepoint 2007 server, SQL Server and SIMS on the one machine would be a lot of services on the one server.

Capita do a hosted service which might be a better option.

3. Thanks to sjl from:

Oops_my_bad (18th June 2009)

Thank Post
    Pretty sure you can't, and Capita won't support it even if you can.

SIMS, Sharepoint, ADP, SQL DBs for SIMS, Sharepoint, ADP, all on one box?! You shouldn't even really have both the SharePoint DB and website on the same server, let alone all on one with SIMS!

If the SLT want to go down the SIMS route, then they need to provide the funding for the necessary hardware.

5. Thanks to Diello from:

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    we dont host our SIMS Webparts internally they are hosted elsehwere. the LA brought them for all schools in sandwell i believe so they sort all that out.

Instead of us hosting them internally we just link to there learning gateway, when i get round to adding my masterpage on their servers (if they let me) it will then look the same as our learning platform so the staff wont see any difference.

Good thing is that they do have to authenticate again using a completely different username and password. which from a security point of view is very good.

As for all the services hosted on 1 box it is a big NO NO! Sharepoint should never be setup as a Standalone in a school.

Sharepoint and DB should really be seperate to get the best possible performance. obviously the bigger the school the more you spread the load.

James.

7. Thanks to EduTech from:

Thank Post
    Capita will ask you a number of questions before they come to install. Well they should and a separate server should be one.

If you do it right and get MOSS installed you can then build SLG to be a learning environment as well. You can add SLK, Course manager, Moodle, Hunterstone content zone. I was going to say Studywiz but as they have not returned my call today I cannot recommend it!!

Even if you have Sims provisioning I would look at Salamander and some of their tools.

You could do it another way create a SharePoint MLG and then add webparts from Twynham, Kraal or Charlton. Then use Salamander provisioning.

Whatever way you do,it costs.

9. Thanks to NewOrder from:

Thank Post
    Ours is setup on two seperate boxes and I would advise as others have to go down the capita hosted route or try and find the cash for an additonal server. The hosted route will probably be more cost effective as well as you won't have to worry about installing the updates etc.

11. Thanks to Sylv3r from:

Thank Post
    Thanks for all the replies. Not sure what I was thinking even querying this as obviously you dont want to effectively whack your SIMS server onto t'interweb

Looks like a seperate box will be the way to go or another VM.

Thank Post
    Is it possible to provision SLG on site? Capita wants about 5k just to (seemingly) setup sharepoint and a few other bits. If we can do it ourselves then I can free up the money to spend on the actual box itself.

Hosted solution for us is not an option due to the shoddy LEA internet connection. It would be up and down all the time and the last thing we want right now is staff to be put off using it because of this

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    You could install it yourself but Capita won't support it then. It's a 2 or 3 day install at around 1000 a day plus the SLG itself and any extra webparts you want such as profiles.

Wes

15. Thanks to wesleyw from:

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Oops_my_bad View Post
    Is it possible to provision SLG on site? Capita wants about 5k just to (seemingly) setup sharepoint and a few other bits. If we can do it ourselves then I can free up the money to spend on the actual box itself.

Hosted solution for us is not an option due to the shoddy LEA internet connection. It would be up and down all the time and the last thing we want right now is staff to be put off using it because of this
    You could do it yourself but probably would spend a lot longer than anticipated. Get Capita to do it. Then build your extra sites. I'm still trying to get my planner working on a non sims site.

17. Thanks to NewOrder from:

Thank Post
    Thanks,

Ive checked on supportnet but there doesnt appear to be any documentation relating to how to actually provision SLG.

I would rather do it myself as I have seen many "installs" done by Capita which, er, would not be worthy of such a princely sum lets say...

Thank Post
    There is documentation but in my view its lacking

20. Thanks to NewOrder from:

Oops_my_bad (19th June 2009)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,781 Times in 1,105 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Have a chat with wagnerk actually ... he hosts locally but I am not too sure how much he did himself.

22. Thanks to GrumbleDook from:

Oops_my_bad (19th June 2009)

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread