+ Post New Thread
MIS Systems Thread, E-Mailing Parents From Serco in Technical; Hi, We have been asked to allow admin staff to contact parents from Serco Facility/ePortal as the need arises [lateness, ...

Can't talk now: The mother-ship is calling!
    Thank Post
    Thanked 1,319 Times in 904 Posts
    Blog Entries

E-Mailing Parents From Serco

Hi,

We have been asked to allow admin staff to contact parents from Serco Facility/ePortal as the need arises [lateness, truancy etc]

We have already been told that ParentMail is not an option and we have been asked to provide an in hous answer. We have successfully tested sending messages to individual E-Mail addresses [great!] However we find that sending to mail lists where there can be anything upto 15 addresses will fail more than 70% of the time.

We found that our Exchange server simply refuses to handle the requests. However we found that we could bounce the messages off our Grid mail server. Serco say that because the individual test works it is not a problem with their software and we should talk to our ISP. Our Grid helpdesk say that they do not support this and we should talk to our software provider [Serco]

Does anyone have this working or have an idea how to get this working?

Many thanks.

Thank Post
    What version of Exchange are you running?
    Do you have any gateway or mail scanning software that could be doing int?

Probably the silliest question you'll get asked today... but you are sure these 15 addresses are correct aren't you?

Could you post (or PM me) a copy of the bounced back email + the headers? I'll see if I can track something down if I get a minute this afternoon!

Thank Post
    Hi,

From what i have read you are trying to use Eportal to send emails to parents using the email feature built in.

I am assuming that you cannot send any emails through your exchange server but it works when you use your local grid server.

You should be able to use your inhouse exchange server to relay the messages from eportal to the parents. You might want to check you exchange config to allow relay access from your eportal server.

You can test the relay access by loging onto your eportal server open command prompt and type:

telnet myexchangeserver 25
    helo
    Mail from: myaddress@orcsweb.com
    Rcpt to: youraddress@orcsweb.com

After you connect to the telnet session you should see your email headers.
    If this fails to send fro the telnet session let me know what version of exchange you are running and i can send you the help to allow relay access.

I have loads of customers using our exchange in this way.

Hope this helps

Mark

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by maf_001 View Post
    From what i have read you are trying to use Eportal to send emails to parents using the email feature built in. ...

....After you connect to the telnet session you should see your email headers.
    If this fails to send fro the telnet session let me know what version of exchange you are running and i can send you the help to allow relay access.

I have loads of customers using our exchange in this way.
    The OP said they were sending emails to mailing lists, so I assumed this was Exchanged based (or at least Outlook client based!).

I'm curious about you advising relay access be used though. Surely that isn't best practice? Allowing relay communication might be useful but it leaves a huge possibility for misuse / unauthenticated use of an Exchange server?

Thank Post
    You can configure exchange to only allow relay access for set ip addresses, e.g. internal ip's like backup servers and eportal servers.

Some software does not authenticate to mail servers so the only way you can get mail sent by them is to allow relay access from that servers IP

Can't talk now: The mother-ship is calling!
    Thank Post
    Thanked 1,319 Times in 904 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mb2k01 View Post
    What version of Exchange are you running?
    Exchange 2007 running on Server 2003 64 Bit.

Do you have any gateway or mail scanning software that could be doing it?
    No software that I know of [Not my Exchange server!]

Probably the silliest question you'll get asked today... but you are sure these 15 addresses are correct aren't you?
    Yes they are correct: Been checked several times.

Thank Post
    I think i know the answer to this, a colleague came across it a while ago. I'll email him and ask him to either check out this thread or let me know the answer so i can post back. I can't make any promises though, i might be wrong. (The reason support won't be able to help you is this is an exchange setting, i believe, that we have come across at random).

Mic@Serco (in a non-serco context).

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread