+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
MIS Systems Thread, Moving to Lesson Monitor from Bromcom - Process in Technical; Right guys, i think this is just to satisfy myself. Am in the process of migrating a school from Bromcom ...
    Thank Post

Question Moving to Lesson Monitor from Bromcom - Process

Right guys, i think this is just to satisfy myself.

Am in the process of migrating a school from Bromcom to Lesson Monitor. They wanted to use the two systems side by side for a while, with a couple of tutors using LM and the rest staying with BC.

The problems i foresaw was that Bromcom would overwrite the AM/PM marks with nulls (for those reg groups taken via LM) as the ALL the statutory marks are copied back via Bromis.

Thus, we are suggesting that couple of people run with BOTH systems for a period to make sure settings and process is working.

Is there a way to only send back a portion of the statutory marks to sims?

Is this how you guys have managed to roll it out?

Any tips greatly appreciated as i'm popping into the school friday and i want to be sure of the best process in my head.

steve

Thank Post
    Are you using Bromcom's grey pads?

Thank Post
    Is that Winfolder? I don't work at the school we are a support unit, but i don't support BromCom.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,408 Times in 1,166 Posts
    I don't think you can stop BRODIS from sending all the data back.
    Give Bromcom a ring, if you support the school, then you can log a request on their behalf, and though they will no doubt be gutted the school is leaving, they have great tech support and will possibly be able to code some exceptions for the school. I guess you could just eliminate a whole year group from the send...
    Bromcom is a very flexible system and school based modifications are often possible and damned handy.

5. Thanks to vikpaw from:

SteveB (17th June 2009)

Thank Post
    Great advice. I will suggest this on Friday

Steve

Thank Post
    Basically it went grey folder, winfolder - windows application rather then a grey folder (basic pda), then web application.

As far as I remember, Bromcoms interface with SIMS - BRODIS, goes straight into SQL, so it'll override the marks. I would say talk to Bromcom, say what's happening, they might, yer it'll be fine, personally, I would do a SIMS backup before BRODIS starts.

I think I remeber someone saying, we'll stop them sync'ing then Bromcom will do a final import once Bromcom was dropped and the poor attendance lady would have to have basically, add them together (fun) whilst they "co-run". Personally, drop Bromcom and run to SIMS.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by matt40k View Post
    Basically it went grey folder, winfolder - windows application rather then a grey folder (basic pda), then web application.

As far as I remember, Bromcoms interface with SIMS - BRODIS, goes straight into SQL, so it'll override the marks. I would say talk to Bromcom, say what's happening, they might, yer it'll be fine, personally, I would do a SIMS backup before BRODIS starts.

I think I remeber someone saying, we'll stop them sync'ing then Bromcom will do a final import once Bromcom was dropped and the poor attendance lady would have to have basically, add them together (fun) whilst they "co-run". Personally, drop Bromcom and run to SIMS.
    erm, Matt, i think you have the wrong end of the stick. School currently uses Bromcom and are moving to SIMS LM.

Still, cheers for the input. Always handy having opinions on other pieces of software.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveB View Post
    erm, Matt, i think you have the wrong end of the stick. School currently uses Bromcom and are moving to SIMS LM.

Still, cheers for the input. Always handy having opinions on other pieces of software.
    My understand was that you wanted to run both together for a while.

Basically , I think, the LM marks will be overwritten by bromcoms blank marks, I base this on the fact Bromcom goes straight to SQL rather then though Capita's Business Objects. Therefore either don't let them "sync" anymore, or backup SIMS before doing so.

Hope that makes more sense.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,408 Times in 1,166 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveB View Post
    Great advice. I will suggest this on Friday
    Steve
    Steve, there are a few Bromcom staff who are members of the forum so perhaps you could get in touch with them or just ring them up direct so you've already got a Head's Up of whats possible on friday.
    JohnCondon is one member i don't know the names of the others but perhaps he can help.

020 8695 8090 for customer care, i think our support number in the south was 020 8695 8055 but what is south and north is debatable. i think north is the same with 8077 on the end.

Thank Post
    Hi Steve,
    Sorry that the school are shifting over but happy to help.
    The proposed "Side by side" trial you've suggested should work fine.
    As long as the school doesn't continue to enter attendance into the classes that are to be taken by the trial users it won't overwrite anything.
    Essentially the logic works that if theres no mark to transfer then it won't transfer a mark.

The untaken register will remain in its default state on the eSchool database and the attendance transfer process won't detect any changed marks so won't transfer anything.

Hope that helps.

12. Thanks to JohnCondon from:

SteveB (18th June 2009)

Thank Post
    Basically , I think, the LM marks will be overwritten by bromcoms blank marks, I base this on the fact Bromcom goes straight to SQL rather then though Capita's Business Objects.
    Wrong Matt
    We have to use Capita's business Objects the same as everyone else. We don't go straight to SQL (as much as I sometimes wish we could!).

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnCondon View Post
    Wrong Matt
    We have to use Capita's business Objects the same as everyone else. We don't go straight to SQL (as much as I sometimes wish we could!).
    Should how often I use Bromcom! When did you move over? I assume BRODIS auto-updates?

(I still remember getting the latest version of WinFolder on CD and having to manually upgrade the workstations - pre-MSI and pre-Web based)

Thank Post
    Should how often I use Bromcom! When did you move over? I assume BRODIS auto-updates?

(I still remember getting the latest version of WinFolder on CD and having to manually upgrade the workstations - pre-MSI and pre-Web based)
    BroDIS from its earliest incarnations has had to communicate with SIMS SQL via the Business Objects.
    The last one that was able to write back to the databases direct would be going back to SIMS DBF!

Ah the good old days :P

Thank Post
    The last one that was able to write back to the databases direct would be going back to SIMS DBF!

Ah the good old days :P
    Mmm... Half with you.

Plus
    no .net errors, low hardware requirements, nice DOS System Manager, nice "flat" db, can use that cool 9" green screen

minus
    An arse to use, lanid, old hat, "flat" db, floppy disc upgrades, can't use that shinny new 64bit server

Thank Post
    Hi Steve,
    Sorry that the school are shifting over but happy to help.
    The proposed "Side by side" trial you've suggested should work fine.
    As long as the school doesn't continue to enter attendance into the classes that are to be taken by the trial users it won't overwrite anything.
    Essentially the logic works that if theres no mark to transfer then it won't transfer a mark.

The untaken register will remain in its default state on the eSchool database and the attendance transfer process won't detect any changed marks so won't transfer anything.

Hope that helps.
    Hi John

Thanks for your input. So in laymans, the trial Tutors do Registration and Lesson Marks in SIMS and the rest of the school use Bromcom. as there is no Registration Mark for the Reg groups in Bromcom for these trial Registrations, is should not overwrite them with blanks / No attendance.

Do i understand correctly?

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast