+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
MIS Systems Thread, Force Sims Log Off in Technical; Anyon know how to force sims users to log off? I know that when you apply a patch or restore ...
    Thank Post

Force Sims Log Off

Anyon know how to force sims users to log off? I know that when you apply a patch or restore the database you have the option to force but just force users off?

Thank Post

Re: Force Sims Log Off

IIRC restarting the database services boots them out sufficiently well... it isn't a clean way of doing it though.

Thank Post

we find that waiting until they're all out of school, locking the doors and then guarding those doors with a shotgun is the only sure way to ensure people don't "just pop into SIMS for a minute" or "I could get in, so you'd finished working on SIMS hadn't you?"

Thank Post

Unshare the sims folder? Thats all we do that and the shotgun thing suggested above.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,028 Times in 729 Posts

Sims server>right click>manage>shared folders> open files>select which files>right click>close files or you can right click the open files folder and disconect all open files. before you do this though netsend to all those machines a message to log out of Sims first then if they are still logged in with files open you revert to the above.

Thank Post

Thanks for the replies.. if you not the time of my post its well outside working hour and most definately no chance of anyone on sims at that time However sims sql database seems to think there are users still logged in, probably logged out of sims failed so flag was left behind.

I will check out IIRC, just thought there might be a sims command that would do it.

Thank Post

Man I'm really having a hard time with this stupid upgrade... first it says there are users logged on when they are not.. then this morning we had no internet so cant download... then it only did a partial upgrade so i have to try and download and install again but guess what... download is stupid slow. Its funny that solus 2 was developed to ultimately makes things easier for us but its taking me several hours thus far to do what should have been a 20min job.. This ofcourse has a knock on effect on other departments so more time wasted... GRRR

Suppose this post should go in FFS really.

Thank Post

Just find SQL anywhere on Sims Server ours is here D:\ITSSMIS\SIMS\SQLANY50\WIN32\DBSVMN50.EXE then look at example below: You can stop and start SQL anytime you want to this will really p*** admin users off if they don't conform to your wishes. Don't forget who is in charge "YOU ARE" so they better take notice OK
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thank Post

apeo:
    You may find that the partial downloaded files may stop the downloading of the rest of the files as Solus 2 only looks into the download folder of Sims for file signatures this can be annoying but if you delete these files then start the download again it should start from the beginning and then get the full upgrade. I had to do the July upgrade twice because two days after i did the first upgrade there was another upgrade to the first upgrade which was an enhanced upgrade due to the fact that the first upgrade was defective. There got that out but everything ok now. Took me ten minutes first upgrade and then 5mins for second, mind you we have 100Mb broadband connection.
    Good luck

Thank Post

SQL anywhere does not affect solus upgrades afaik. I have had the same issue with users aparently being logged in. Do you have bromcom at all? I always shut ours down due to its constant comunication with with sims.

There is some issue with solus2. I am almost certain that it attempts to upgrade the database before it has finished unlocking it from the backup. This leaves me with the unfinalised setups folder, which causes errors in further update attempts - it has a nice long name of numbers and characters, and is only renamed if the db upgrade is sucessful.

Solus 1 was painful enough. Solus 2 has become a 3 hour long sims nightmare for patching.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

You could use a remote process killer (like my own RPKiller :P) and close PULSAR.EXE on workstations...

Thank Post

Its not just that. I've had it fail with just the user running solus logged in!

Thank Post

Not talking about Solus upgrade per-se but the fact the users are logged in when we are doing upgrades via solus. so to deter these users after we have asked them kindly to log out of the Sims I shutdown the SQL server so that they are disconected to any sessions that they have in Sims. Then when i am sure that i have their undivided attention i send them a messege to their screens to let them know that the upgrade is in process and that they will not be allowed access to the Sims. I then give them 5 mins to try their luck after which they will be fed up and then i start the SQL server again and run the Solus upgrade. To date i have had no problems so far.

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by bossman
    apeo:
    You may find that the partial downloaded files may stop the downloading of the rest of the files as Solus 2 only looks into the download folder of Sims for file signatures this can be annoying but if you delete these files then start the download again it should start from the beginning and then get the full upgrade. I had to do the July upgrade twice because two days after i did the first upgrade there was another upgrade to the first upgrade which was an enhanced upgrade due to the fact that the first upgrade was defective. There got that out but everything ok now. Took me ten minutes first upgrade and then 5mins for second, mind you we have 100Mb broadband connection.
    Good luck
    Yeah thats what i was doing just.. by removing the package and redownloading.. this is the 3-4 time.. so annoying. Our sims is ms sql 2000 and yes i have restarted it with no luck..

Contacted capita about how to kick users off and i was advised to run dbupgrade, only thing is i have nothing to upgrade (ie the upgrade files are in the temp folder solus creates and capita didnt want me to use dbupgrade from there) so i was told to run a patch (this one was 5685) and install it. At that point i have to option to kick users off.. kinda odd solution but i was told this patch can be run anytime.

Thank Post

@Bossman: You've shown shutting down SQL Anywhere server which is only for the Finance package - FMS. To shut down the full SQL server via the SQL Server Service Manager - right click icon in notification area.

To kick out users from the SQL server I have heard about running a patch that will not alter your data - where you'd get one of these though is another question.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast