+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
MIS Systems Thread, SIMS June 2009 Main Release - Delay in Technical; From SupportNet: Dear Colleagues We have decided to delay the SIMS 2009 Main Release for between 5 and 10 working ...

Thank Post

SIMS June 2009 Main Release - Delay

From SupportNet:
    Dear Colleagues

We have decided to delay the SIMS 2009 Main Release for between 5 and 10 working days.

We are doing this in order to investigate and resolve an upgrade issue that some customers are reporting when applying patches to their SIMS system. Our initial investigations have shown that this problem could also affect upgrades to the June Main Release and therefore we need to address this problem now. The revised release date will be published on Supportnet as soon as possible.

We apologise for the inconvenience that this may cause.

Regards,
    Jonathan Wood
    SIMS Product Manager (Technical and Releases)

Thank Post
    I'm glad they are trying to fix this before the release!!

Thank Post
    Me too.

The application of patch and upgrades issues arose as a by product of the new SIMS Homepage in March. Staff not logging off SIMS 'legally' are still logged in as ghosts the following day. I think the fact that their panels were still trying to address the database when their account was 'closed' has something to do with the problem.
    I don't want to keep having to convert to single user mode just to apply a patch and then have to convert back again to multi-user after applying the patch or upgrade!

Graham, I hope you get it sorted quickly!

Thank Post
    If you disable tcpip in the sql configuration that works too instead of locking to single user

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by sarah09 View Post
    If you disable tcpip in the sql configuration that works too instead of locking to single user
    yeah thats what i did to get round it, our SMIS team gave us this little app that disabled all of the users except our admin login. problem was it then did not give us the option to enable this. i think it was down to us not using the sa account. but hey

I just disabled the network card when i did the update! as then no bugger could connect hehe.

--- another option might be to stop the services for SQL, but i dont know weather the update requires these services.

James.

Thank Post
    What was the problem?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Edu-IT View Post
    What was the problem?
    If you mean the problem users are getting when installing new patch's etc.

Basically when applying any new updates/patches it attempts to lock the database, but if you have users still logged into sims this fails. (you used to be able to just end any sessions, but that dont do anything anymore as the sql account is still active)

So the only way of stopping this error from happening is doing any of options above. so you can then successfully update sims.

james

-- So the error you were recieving latley when updating about the database being locked, ^^ that is why.

Thank Post
    Could be wrong but the last I heard removing the network cable during the upgrade wasn't supported because the server wasn't in it's normal environment. (Something about the network needing to be present and the S:\ mapped etc on the server even after solus had downloaded the packages).

Not sure whether this was just best practice or enforced for some other reason.

I used to struggle getting staff of of the system so we opted for 7am upgrades rather than fight for access.

Thank Post
    I am SO glad that they are sorting out the applying patches issue!

I usually do it at 5pm and send a global email round saying the update will be done at that time, please be off SIMS.

My back is covered, then!

Thank Post
    Yeah applying patch problem was annoying. SMIS told me how to get round it by locking it down to 1 admin user i.e. -m switch for MS SQL 2005 service.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by kmount View Post
    Could be wrong but the last I heard removing the network cable during the upgrade wasn't supported because the server wasn't in it's normal environment. (Something about the network needing to be present and the S:\ mapped etc on the server even after solus had downloaded the packages).
    The "S drive" shouldn't be a network drive on the server, it should be a physical path so you have the correct access etc. I believe mr Edwards (Capita) recommend disabling TCP\IP which would kick off all the remote users, as EduTech etc said, Matt Griffin (SMIS) creating a tool that disables all the SIMS SQL accounts appart from the one user your applying the update as.

I believe the issue is Capita uses the standard Microsoft command to lock the database into single user mode, ofcourse this doesn't appear to work (thanks Microsoft), so the new dbupgrade will disable all the users minus the current user. I think it's down to not being able to run SOLUS as the SA user. I tend to find download only via SOLUS then manually upgrade via dbupgrade with the SA works. Still looooads more hassle. Bit strange as you can use the SA user for FMS but not SIMS?! Go figure!!

Thank Post
    Matt,
    I posted the KB for this on SupportNet.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Sivadam View Post
    Matt,
    I posted the KB for this on SupportNet.
    What? :confussed:

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    @EduTech: You'll need the SQL Server Instance running otherwise it won't be able to apply to changes to the database that runs inside the instance.

A few years back removing the network cable actually stopped the upgrade from performing (Strangely you could plug it into a switch that wasn't conencted to anything else so the network would look like it's there but without anyone being able to access it!)

Wes

Thank Post
    Sorry Matt - it's me that's confused!
    I actually gave the KB to our Technical Staff. I didn't post it on SupportNet. I just explained the issue above.
    It's senility setting in!

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast