+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
MIS Systems Thread, PARS/PARS Connect vs SIMS Lesson Monitor/Attendence in Technical; Originally Posted by Sivadam For some reason these forums genarally give a negative view of SIMS. If you posted query ...
    Home: Telford Office: Wolverhampton Work Travel: all over UK!
    Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Sivadam View Post
    For some reason these forums genarally give a negative view of SIMS. If you posted query on SupportNet then I am sure you would get a different set of opinions.
    I have never used Pars so cannot comment on it. All I can say is it must be very, very good in deed if it is better than SIMS! And, for me, SIMS Support is nothing short of excellent!
    PARS suport is 'very very god indeed' and proud to say it!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Hecate View Post
    I don't want to get into a huge debate on this because there was a lot about PARS we liked but I would like to take issue with Jenny on this one point. When we were using PARS (up to last July) we couldn't get the assessment and behaviour data across into SIMS in a form we could use with our existing report templates etc and we decided we didn't want to junk 18 months work spent in setting up SIMS and redoing it in PARS. If we hadn't had so much already set up we may well have stayed with PARS
    Hiya
    Could do with finding out what school you are in as I ony know of 3x Cumbria Schools with PARS: 1 went to CMIS to which we dont work with, 1 left us and came back and the other left us as they did not have the hardware infrastructure in place and teachers were unabe to log attendance & behaviour so until the hardware had been put in all rooms there was no point continuing until this was sorted; I dont know the school you are in.

In behaviour configurations there is a button allowing data to be written back into SiMS behaviour module. ASM links is a quick click of a few buttons (used to have to import via csv, not anymore) so data can be seen in PARS thus allowing teachers to enter grades from home writing back to ASM (if required)

As mentioned I do not know which school you represent and certainly not aware of any issues with regards to read/writing PARS/SIMS data. If either myself or my support team knew of any issue, we could have directed you into the right place or tick box within PARS allowing you to use as required. Issues like this occur when permissions have not been setup as you require. It will basically be configurations.

If we know of requirements, we will either direct you to the correct place on PARS or add the functionality for you.

I cannot comment on benefits of using PARS on this forum for various reasons and if you are not aware of the full functionailty then we have a team of people who can advise....including moi.

With regards to specific reports, as we write templates for schools with bespoke requirements in XML format, this means that you can have any information .. incuding attendance, behaviour and grading with calculations showing parents are on target if required... We have not yet had a deisgn request which we have been unable to offer. We do not use Word, excel formats; as these are too basic with limited layers of data.

Hope that covers the information you were looking for and if you want to speak to me directly or me to pop to the school then please let me know.

Thanks

Thank Post
    Jenny

I won't get into a huge debate over our specific issues as I don't think this forum is the really place for it. You can probably work out which school we are if you think about it and we did discuss with you (or your colleagues) at the time the issue of data in PARS behaviour being mapped to specific SIMS fields rather than most of it being dumped in the comments field and were told there was no prospect of any changes in the foreseeable future.

On reporting - we like the way we can design our own quite complex reports in SIMS and found it fairly restrictive to have to ask for templates to be designed for us when we wanted something not in the standard set. Also on at least one occasion I was told what we wanted couldn't be done and ended up rekeying data into SIMS to do it from there

I do agree that PARS has some really good features particularly the messaging which SIMS still hasn't caught up with. It just didn't work for us beyond registration

Thank Post
    'Very very god in deed'

Should that not have a capital letter.....??

Thank Post

Hecate reply

Quote Originally Posted by Hecate View Post
    I don't want to get into a huge debate on this because there was a lot about PARS we liked but I would like to take issue with Jenny on this one point. When we were using PARS (up to last July) we couldn't get the assessment and behaviour data across into SIMS in a form we could use with our existing report templates etc and we decided we didn't want to junk 18 months work spent in setting up SIMS and redoing it in PARS. If we hadn't had so much already set up we may well have stayed with PARS
    Sorry for late reply...havent been on here for ages!

The easiest way to disuss this is over the phone really as I dont want to be seen as 'selling' PARS! I will get kicked off by the lovely Edugeek guys if I do (ps...I still wear your Edugeek T-shirt )

Firstly, did you mention to our support or even myself what data you wanted to see? There is one click button in behaviour preferences allowing data in behaviour to be written back into SIMS... merits & demerits. PARS cannot write neutral behaviour logging, referalls inclduing calls to parents, continual incident support logs showing all support based on a students behaviour, detention registers seen in timetables.... as there is no-where in SIMS to write back into. With grading, you can choose was aspects you want to see in PARS. Many schools I have worked with..infact most.. dont want to see ALL the aspects from SIMS in PARS basically as teachers dont need to see them all.. example, you may only want KS levels to be added. PARS Connect (PARS remote access) then allows teachers to enter data from home including ASM data which writes back straight away. text messaging, extra curriculum classes, homework diary, telephone message reporting logged in PARS cannot be seen in SIMS either -- once again as there is no-one to place it.

You certainly dont need to junk information in SIMS... PARS does give many features extra for teachers plus alerts to SLT and pastoral if required - depends how you analyse and what you want to see.

Many users of PARS do not know the full potential of PARS and how powerful it is and how data can easily be obtained without having to endlessly pull off reports... even if you did have to run reports, you can automate them and schedule tem for futures (example % attendance reports sent to HOY every Monday morning)

Data can all be generated in reports including bespoke designed options including colour coding, calculation, logos, pictures, (particulaly great for parents...green on target - red under target etc...) Reports can also be produced for parents showing attendance, behaviour and grading information and it is html format which means it can be sen in VLEs and *Parental Access (*subject tio who you are using!...obviously works in our INSIGHT)

So basically...if information is required to be written back into PARS, the answer is a phone call away.

Hope this answers your question

Jenny

Thank Post

hmmmmm

Quote Originally Posted by Sivadam View Post
    'Very very god in deed'

Should that not have a capital letter.....??
    Good also however they are the answer to peoples prayers sometimes

Thank Post
    One wonders why anybody would want to have an extra piece of software to use in place of SIMS if they are SIMS users anyway.
    There simply is no point when SIMS works so brilliantly in these areas!

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12