+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
MIS Systems Thread, eportal not working after may Census upgrade in Technical; ePortal (last time i checked) doesn't work fine with IE8 which is why it isn't supported yet. I can't remember ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,586 Times in 1,263 Posts
    ePortal (last time i checked) doesn't work fine with IE8 which is why it isn't supported yet.
    I can't remember off the top of my head (and i'm in a hotel so i've got a vanilla rubbish connection and cant check) why it isn't but i know there is a problem with some code in it not working correctly, that does work in IE7. IE 6 is quite old, and MS have said it has security issues, so whilst we do support it i'd say upgrade if you can.
    We also support Firefox 2 and 3.
    Thanks for the reply. It does work OK with IE8 (as far as I can tell) and alternatively users can use the IE7 compatibility mode if it was required. If it didn't work, I am sure users would tell me about it as they use it everyday!

I can explain the rebooting issue.
    When the ePortal services (Facility Data Server and Facility ePortal) start, they need SQL to be successfully started in order to build the login name table and the cache.
    There is no dependancy on the service that requires this. So if Facility Data Server (especially) starts before SQL is up and running they will start but not do anything.
    Restarting the Facility Data server will fix the issue.
    So as I said, it does appear to be a timing issue. Facility services starting before SQL 2005 has fully loaded. I did think about adding a dependancy and you confirmed my suspicions. Generically, couldn't you just specify "MSSQLSERVER" as the dependence?

Not many schools have the problem, though. I think the reason is, obviously it depends how long it takes the service to start.
    I've seen this happen on every installation with SQL 2005, so I think the problem is much wider. I don't think the specification (within reason) should be the issue. Optimising the code would be the logical way forward instead of requiring schools to invest in hugely expensive servers.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    Thanks for the reply. It does work OK with IE8 (as far as I can tell) and alternatively users can use the IE7 compatibility mode if it was required. If it didn't work, I am sure users would tell me about it as they use it everyday!

So as I said, it does appear to be a timing issue. Facility services starting before SQL 2005 has fully loaded. I did think about adding a dependancy and you confirmed my suspicions. Generically, couldn't you just specify "MSSQLSERVER" as the dependence?

I've seen this happen on every installation with SQL 2005, so I think the problem is much wider. I don't think the specification (within reason) should be the issue. Optimising the code would be the logical way forward instead of requiring schools to invest in hugely expensive servers.

Fair enough, i don't know of any schools that are using it so i don't really know. All i know is we've a bug logged with some data not saving correctly, but only in IE8.

You're right about timing, yes, and i don't believe we could say it generically because you have to specifiy the name of the service. That won't always be MSSQLSERVER. I'll look into it further though and see if i can find an answer.
    Just so i can get an idea of how widespread this issue is, how many people on here have had this issue?
    I'd estimate i've personally done around 200 - 300 installs and i've only noticed it on about 20. But, i supose i haven't restarted the server on every occasion. So if it wasn't reported to me after i wouldn't know.

I can understand what you're saying about the code optimisation. We have been optimising the code recently in a few specific parts of the database. It isn't so much the code that's the issue here though it's the size of the db. The more data you've got in it the bigger it gets and so the longer the service is going to take to start. Though, it shouldnt make that much difference.
    If schools have this issue, they need to report it to us so we can be aware of how widespread it is.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by michael2k6 View Post
    Just so i can get an idea of how widespread this issue is, how many people on here have had this issue?
    Every school I've dealt with in Birmingham experiences it. So that's around 400 schools?

Thank Post
    Ok, thanks for that. Even if it just sorts Birmingham out, it will be worth it, i'll look into it.

Thank Post
    We did the upgrade and SSO broke which was majorly annoying along with the bitlets refusing to load.

We have now implemented the username in the web.config "fix" which is just rubbish and what i cant understand is how it can work before and break afterwards or more to the point, take a step backwards.

We had an explination re: NTLM versions etc, which really doesn't matter to me either way, what matters is when we have a system that works fine and then an upgrade breaks it. That is NOT an upgrade, that is a catastophic failure and how these "upgrades" can be released without a mass of testing is beyond me.
    Given the data and importance that is held within any MIS system it really is very very annoying at the very least.

We were also told about the firefox fix for a previous version and again, a suggestion like this from any support team is pathetic. Changing browsers is not a fix.

Thanks
    Matt
    p.s. these are my personal views and do not represent the views of anyone else at all EVER.
    (you would think i wouldn't have to say this but experience tells me i do.)

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12