+ Post New Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
MIS Systems Thread, The future of SIMS in Technical; We are a Bromcom v3 school, which means we utilise the whole MIS system that Bromcom offer. All in all, ...

Thank Post
    We are a Bromcom v3 school, which means we utilise the whole MIS system that Bromcom offer.

All in all, we have been very impressed with the service that is provided by the system, and their tech support team whenever we encounter any issues.

If you would like any info on Bromcom, ask me some questions, and I'll try to answer them!

Thank Post
    I have seen a few comments about Bromcom MIS which we have been using here for some months now. We chose it over Serco or Sims due to it being a new product, from a relatively small company, that was willing to develop it further in partnership with us and apart from a few problems at the start importing data from Phoenix Gold, it has worked very well.

The data is all held on our server in school and updates are carried out remotely by Bromcom as required. No changes are needed to staff laptops or workstations which link to the server via the web interface.

Support has been second to none and I have lost count of the number of on-site training days we have had. Staff are very pleased with it and a lot of time is now being saved, especially with student reports, which will automatically link into the parents portal MyChildAtSchool, as will the other modules we use such as attendance, behaviour,etc.

U/N and passwords are now encrypted and no longer viewable in Notepad!

Even if you still use Sims I would recommend getting a demo of the MyChildAtSchool.com
    web portal which is so simple for parents to use.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by misquote View Post
    I have seen a few comments about Bromcom MIS which we have been using here for some months now. We chose it over Serco or Sims due to it being a new product, from a relatively small company, that was willing to develop it further in partnership with us and apart from a few problems at the start importing data from Phoenix Gold, it has worked very well.

The data is all held on our server in school and updates are carried out remotely by Bromcom as required. No changes are needed to staff laptops or workstations which link to the server via the web interface.

Support has been second to none and I have lost count of the number of on-site training days we have had. Staff are very pleased with it and a lot of time is now being saved, especially with student reports, which will automatically link into the parents portal MyChildAtSchool, as will the other modules we use such as attendance, behaviour,etc.

U/N and passwords are now encrypted and no longer viewable in Notepad!

Even if you still use Sims I would recommend getting a demo of the MyChildAtSchool.com
    web portal which is so simple for parents to use.

How have you found MCAS? We are awaiting our LEA to open up the ports to allow access to our server, so we haven't been able to test it out yet!

Thank Post

Red face

To be honest we havent started to use it yet but are just about to trial it. However, since all our data is already in the Bromcom MIS we would not expect too many issues!

Thank Post
    ah ok! Same as us then!!

Thank Post
    I have seen a few comments about Bromcom MIS which we have been using here for some months now. We chose it over Serco or Sims due to it being a new product, from a relatively small company, that was willing to develop it further in partnership with us
    I wouldn't say Bromcom was small!! Alot of schools got Bromcom with the grey pads to mark the registers which links into SIMS. I've see a bit of the "new" web based system, we moved away when it was just starting with the web based bits. We move from the grey pads to the windows application, which you had to manually upgrade all the clients. Still at least you wasn't forced to apply the upgrades other then by the staff who wants the new shinny bits.

We had a server which Bromcom maintain, support was alright, you phoned them up, they dialed-in (yes, over a 56k modem), if they couldn't fix it (hardware) they visited. Only problem we had was it was all too new, you expected to see the "under construction" page, but that hadn't even been created lol!

Overall it was alright, I believe it's leveled out alot now, so support better, and the products alot more mature. Still no where as complete as SIMS tho.

Thank Post
    manually upgrade?! no no no! Speak nicely and they can provide an MSI for such occasions.

We recently did it with the latest version of eMarkbook (the reporting software) and it worked a treat over GPO.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Pumaedition View Post
    manually upgrade?! no no no! Speak nicely and they can provide an MSI for such occasions.

We recently did it with the latest version of eMarkbook (the reporting software) and it worked a treat over GPO.
    This was a wee bit before they started doing that, this was pre-sims .net era

Thank Post

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by matt40k View Post
    I wouldn't say Bromcom was small!! Alot of schools got Bromcom with the grey pads to mark the registers which links into SIMS. I've see a bit of the "new" web based system, we moved away when it was just starting with the web based bits. We move from the grey pads to the windows application, which you had to manually upgrade all the clients. Still at least you wasn't forced to apply the upgrades other then by the staff who wants the new shinny bits.

We had a server which Bromcom maintain, support was alright, you phoned them up, they dialed-in (yes, over a 56k modem), if they couldn't fix it (hardware) they visited. Only problem we had was it was all too new, you expected to see the "under construction" page, but that hadn't even been created lol!

Overall it was alright, I believe it's leveled out alot now, so support better, and the products alot more mature. Still no where as complete as SIMS tho.
    When I said relatively small I was referring to the overall corporate structures of Serco and Capita that have interests in lots of outsourcing projects from TV licensing to rubbish collection.

Having had a demo of SIMS we fail to see where we are missing out; quite the contrary!

Thank Post
    Having had a demo of SIMS we fail to see where we are missing out; quite the contrary!
    The problem with SIMS is some stuff is hidden away or is in the pre .net. If you make a list of all the things SIMS can do etc, all the options it copes with, then you do the same for Bromcom (or such), your SIMS list will be a far bit bigger.

I believe Claire Ashton been promoting SIMS, might be worth asking for a demo. This is the lady who sold DigitalBrain, so you know she must be good Still you're prob "locked" into Bromcom, so it's prob not best to start looking at other MIS.

If you think that SIMS runs on 22,000 schools, which are primarys, secondarys, middles, post16, nursays, special, independ, blah blah blah, 1-2 week timetables, public\private and all that lovely stuff. Then the killing blow is ONE (formally EMS), which allows the LA access to all that lovely data in SIMS, of course for a "small" fee.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by synaesthesia View Post
    however rather like the Junior Librarian .Net atrocity I'm also having to deal with, I don't like the idea of having a reliance on a wide area networking technology so intermittent by it's very nature.
    can you tell me more about the problems with Junior Librarian as it's a product we were considering purchasing next term ?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,045 Times in 802 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Tonyoung View Post
    can you tell me more about the problems with Junior Librarian as it's a product we were considering purchasing next term ?
    Just started a thread with some of the issues over at the Educational Software forum. On top of the posted issues, the fact it runs on Silverlight, is slower than Lewis Hamilton's current car and of course should you lose internet connection, you've got no hope. I very much dislike it, which is a shame as MLS's support for JL3 was rather very good indeed.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234