+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
MIS Systems Thread, The future of SIMS in Technical; But it also means that you are totally screwed if the connection goes down for any reason! I would not ...
    Thank Post
    But it also means that you are totally screwed if the connection goes down for any reason! I would not like to have to rely totally on a web-based system!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by EduTech View Post
    Think POSITIVE thoughts PowdarrMonkey

/me had a very long and trying day of meetings...

If they can pull it off, then great, but I haven't forgotten the move to .Net in the first place. Look at the error reporting: "Reason 0". And it's disappointing that there's a very good chance it'll be obscurely proprietary, instead of more standardised, plain old web+ajax interface. So I'm sceptical with good reason.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,774 Times in 1,101 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Presentations from the recent roadshows should be up on SupportNet soon (the last one was today at Franklin Gardens - Home of Northampton Saints)

A good afternoon (A tad heaving on the sales pitches but a lot of good info including the road maps) and yes, there was mention about more stuff being done via web-front ends. This is already there under SLG but more work needs to be done on it ... and there will still be a need for a client for doing things like building marksheets, etc

To be honest, it almost reminds me of the model of ePortal and CMIS. Web section for most things that most people need and a client for the heavy users.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Sivadam View Post
    I would not like to have to rely totally on a web-based system!
    No, your SIMS server would still be running locally on your site, it's just that your client machines would be accessing it via a web browser.

--
    David Hicks

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,665 Times in 1,450 Posts
    Blog Entries
    But it also means that you are totally screwed if the connection goes down for any reason! I would not like to have to rely totally on a web-based system!
    Your server is in house so it will work the same as it dos now. If your server goes down you cant run sims from the workstations...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,049 Times in 918 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GrumbleDook View Post
    To be honest, it almost reminds me of the model of ePortal and CMIS. Web section for most things that most people need and a client for the heavy users.
    Was just about to say it sounds like someone's making a Serco clone in a way as that's how Serco has been for about 5+ years now.

We let teachers all use E-Portal that gives them everything they need, Management tend to use that now as well, and more and more can be done in it, you can do Exams and Cover stuff in E-Portal now so its very powerful. So when its upgrade time, I upgrade the Server and that's it done, not got 100 Staff Laptops to recall 1 upgrade to the server and I'm all working. In our school I think the main Facility Admin is installed on about 10 PCs everyone else uses E-Portal. Its on key admin staff, Data and Exams Managers, Timetablers and then mine and my technicians PC thats about it

In terms of what if it goes down as its "web based" the server is in my rack in my place so either the whole thing is down or its up really. If the Internet is down no parental access or staff accessing from home that's about it really.

The other program its sounding like is the new version of RM Integris, Integris G2 (how originally named G2 for the 2nd Generation of it!) that's all web based as its designed for your LEA to host one mahooosive database and you just login to that. Just think, as today was Summer Census day, how much easier Census would be just check your data and let the LEA do it all for you

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by powdarrmonkey View Post
    Boy, that idea scares me... it's bad enough as it is, without them trying to port it to a new platform as well. It'll be worse than the CC4 transition, mark my words!
    Maybe RM will feature it on their ICT horrors then?

Oh wait... CC4 didn't even appear on their ICT horrors can't be too truthful then.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by dhicks View Post
    No, your SIMS server would still be running locally on your site, it's just that your client machines would be accessing it via a web browser.

--
    David Hicks

Exactly!
    That is why we could never go to using a web-based system exclusively.
    This summer two years ago we had no web access here for a number of days due to the summer flooding. That would be an impossible situation to manage!

Thank Post
    [QUOTE=john;334300]Was just about to say it sounds like someone's making a Serco clone in a way as that's how Serco has been for about 5+ years now.]

That is the last thing we want!!

And the days of visiting every machine to update SIMS ended a very long time ago! All workstations have been updating automatically for a avery long time!
    Last edited by Sivadam; 22nd May 2009 at 07:24 AM.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    The Citrix hosted version of SIMS seems to be doing very well however I still wonder what happens when connections go down. As for silverlight - mm, anyone tried Junior Librarian.net yet? Takes an age to load. In the days of decent and quick computers, people often get used to double clicking a program and watching it open next to instantly.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,412 Times in 1,866 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by steve View Post
    Given the number of modules still to be ported to .net this would be a long, long way off.
    What modules remain now? I can think of System Manager, Nova T4/T6, 'Examinations', and FMS. Are there others?

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,412 Times in 1,866 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Exactly!
    That is why we could never go to using a web-based system exclusively.
    This summer two years ago we had no web access here for a number of days due to the summer flooding. That would be an impossible situation to manage!
    Huh? So, you have a single server running the SIMS server, that people open in their browser instead of opening a client. How is this so bad?? Web access has no relevance to it at all!

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,640 Times in 1,097 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by User3204 View Post
    It would mean you could change your desktops to Linux (or whatever), as Silverlight has an open source sibling, called moonlight.
    Can't really see this being a viable option to be honest. Moonlight isn't a complete replacement for Silverlight as there is still a lot of work to be done. The nature of this type of project (open source replicating proprietary apps) means that Moonlight will always be behind the curve and with mission critical apps such as an MIS system you just can't afford that. For example Silverlight 2 was announced before the port of Silverlight 1 was very advanced.

Plus as webman says:

Quote Originally Posted by webman View Post
    You can virtually guarantee Capita's version of Silverlight SIMS will be just obscure enough not to work under the open-source Moonlight.

Thank Post
    This summer two years ago we had no web access here for a number of days due to the summer flooding.
    You mean your school had no Internet access for a couple of days, therefore no-one could either access external web sites (or other servers) from inside the school and/or no-one from outside could reach any web (or otherwise) servers inside your school? If you want to avoid this issue you need an internal and external server, with decent mirroring of some kind between the two. How the application presents a user interface (Windows-based GUI, web page, whatever) makes no difference to the reliability of the connection to your server, it's just that a web-based interface is going to be easier to connect clients to (i.e. you point a web browser at a server instead of installing a Windows client).

--
    David Hicks

Thank Post
    I wonder how many platforms SIMS can be running on at the same time, DOS, .net, Silver light... hmmm
    At the moment it's a massive sprawl. They seem to be getting better compared to the old days, when you had to fiddle with ini files and alter the amount of buffer memory

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast