+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
MIS Systems Thread, SIMS Performance Reporting Questions in Technical; Hi Matt (and others), my sources advise that the BO inside SIMS is in fact the real deal BO engine ...
    Thank Post

BO in SIMS

Hi Matt (and others), my sources advise that the BO inside SIMS is in fact the real deal BO engine white-labelled.

The chap making this assertion is ex-BO, works as a freelance BO consultant and has worked on BO within SIMS.

I am in no position to argue with him, although he could be wrong, of course ;-)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by DBMan View Post
    Hi Matt (and others), my sources advise that the BO inside SIMS is in fact the real deal BO engine white-labelled.

The chap making this assertion is ex-BO, works as a freelance BO consultant and has worked on BO within SIMS.

I am in no position to argue with him, although he could be wrong, of course ;-)
    Have you got any links to the website for the "real deal BO engine"?

Thank Post
    Is this what you mean:

SAP - SAP BusinessObjects Portfolio: Connecting People, Information, and Businesses

If so, I'm not sure if it will help. BO is famously complex.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by DBMan View Post

Hi DBMan - your source is mistaken. The BOs in SIMS are written by Capita originally in COM and latterly in .net. I am sure Penfold and any SIMS partners will verify this.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by MattMitchell View Post
    The reporting and ouputting of data IS good, it has a good interface and allows setting up reports with year group / subject group / whatever selection by users at runtime.
    Agreed. I've just been revisiting the code for charting exam results that I wrote last year. Data exported from SIMS via the CommandReporter tool comes out as XML, which whilst rather verbose certainly does look comprehensive. I (eventually) figured out how to do an HTTP server as a proper Windows service in Python and got it to return data from running CommandReporter, passing in variables if necessary and returning the XML data in encrypted form for security. I could never get any of the charting libraries in Python to do exactly what we wanted and spent most of my time last year finding that functionality was missing and working around it, so instead I'm simply going to create charts from scratch as bitmap images and be done with it. Hopefully in a couple of days I should have a tool to take exam result data and spew out a bunch of nice charts, both as HTML pages and as PDFs ready for printing.

--
    David Hicks

Thank Post
    Hi David,

Have you looked at the Google Charting API. I've just been using it and it seems pretty comprehensive. http://blog.salamandersoft.co.uk/ind...gle-chart-api/

I can also confirm for David that the Sims Business Objects are custom objects for Sims and not built on the SAP Business Objects. Bit of a shame that a generic computer science term is used as the name of a product/company as that just leads to confusion.

Richard

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by rpwillis View Post
    Have you looked at the Google Charting API.
    I have, thanks. It still doesn't produce exactly what we want, though. Our problem is mostly to do with people expecting charts that look exactly like Excel ones but not being capable of creating them themselves, which makes for rather a lot of fiddling around bludgeoning existing chart libraries to fit how we want them to look. Easier and faster to simply make our own from scratch. I'd also prefer our code to sit on our machines rather than at the other end of an Internet connection for now.

--
    David Hicks

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12