+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
MIS Systems Thread, SIMS.Net - problem importing new reports [SOLVED] in Technical; I posted this to support.capitaes.co.uk a couple of days after posting here, I've had no response at all....
    Thank Post

Re: SIMS.Net - problem importing new reports

I posted this to support.capitaes.co.uk a couple of days after posting here, I've had no response at all.

Thank Post

A few things you might want to try:

From >nslookup odin
    Check the dns record is correct (worth just checking)

Download a packet monitoring program - Smartsniff is OK.
    Run the report import routine and monitor what its doing. Is it contacting your SIMS server?

Try a couple of the sysinternals applications TCPView and TDIMon.

I had a strange network problem the other day - couldn't get an smtp email to our exchange box - the antivirus was blocking port 25! These tools let me identify the packets weren't leaving the workstation.

Thank Post

@ChrisC: I havn't tried uninstalling a client, but I have installed the client on a couple of spare machines that have never had it before, still no joy.

@Steve: nslookup odin gives the expected IP.

TCPView: When running SIMS .Net TCPView shows 6 connections from pulsar.exe (local ports 1324-1329) connecting to the server (port 1171). When opening the Import Report dialog, pulsar is also connecting to port 8080 on the server. Even though the error claims 'the underlying connection was closed', TCPView is displaying all connections as established until SIMS is closed.

Smartsniff shows that the client is definately contacting the server as it's getting a response from the Document Server (specifically HTTP1.1 100 and HTTP1.1 200). It has however shown up a slight oddity, there's a UDP packet being sent to the DNS server on port 53 which is referencing the old SIMS/DC/DNS server that was scrapped back in March. I'm now even more confused as i'm running this on a newly rebuilt machine, with a static IP, using a logon with a local profile. There's no way this machine should even know the old server's name, let alone be trying to contact it.

TDIMon hasn't helped a lot as I've no idea what I'm looking at there ^^;

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by Irazmus

Smartsniff shows that the client is definately contacting the server as it's getting a response from the Document Server (specifically HTTP1.1 100 and HTTP1.1 200). It has however shown up a slight oddity, there's a UDP packet being sent to the DNS server on port 53 which is referencing the old SIMS/DC/DNS server that was scrapped back in March. I'm now even more confused as i'm running this on a newly rebuilt machine, with a static IP, using a logon with a local profile. There's no way this machine should even know the old server's name, let alone be trying to contact it.
    Sorry it's taken a while to get back on this, for reasons best known to people who decided them, I found myself babysitting pupils for school sports days, not impressed by this and had a lot to catch up on because of it.

However back to youy SIMS problem.

Given the above I'd suggest trying a couple of searches ( on server and client )

Seach for files containing text <IP address> and < old server name> . I'm wondering if there's a file that's been transeferred over that references it.

Also worth checking your DNS zone file to see if there's still a reference to a server service being announced that's pointing to the decomissioned server and hasn't been updated/deleted. Though the text search should pick it up if there is. For completeness it's also worth a seach on the old IP address with the quads order reversed eg if it was 192.168.XX.YY search for YY.XX.168.192

Thank Post

OK, so for some reason SIMS is polling your DNS server for the old sims server.

Check the following files - this how they are configured on our system.

C:\Program Files\SIMS\SIMS .net\connect.ini
    [SIMSConnection]
    Redirect=s:\sims
    s:\sims\connect.ini
    [SIMSConnection]
    ServerName=02admin
    DatabaseName=sims
    CommandTimeout=100000
    C:\WINDOWS\Sims.ini
    [Setup]
    SIMSSetupsDirectory=\\02ADMIN\SIMSROOT$\Sims\Setup s
    SIMSDotNetDirectory=C:\Program Files\SIMS\SIMS .net
    SIMSDirectory=S:\SIMS
    FinanceDirectory=C:\Program Files\SIMS\Finance
    OfflineSQLAppsDirectory=
    SIMSSQLAppsDirectory=
    NovaSatellite=C:\Program Files\SIMS\SATS
    [InstallationLogs]
    SIMSInfrastructureSetup.exe=C:\DOCUME~1\{*username *}\LOCALS~1\Temp\SIMSInfrastructureSetup.log
    SIMSApplicationSetup.exe=C:\DOCUME~1\{*username*}\ LOCALS~1\Temp\SIMSApplicationSetup.log
    [Machine]
    Infrastructure=1.00
    [NOVA-MC]
    CurrAcadYear=2006
    PulsarLocation=C:\Program Files\SIMS\SIMS .net
    CurrentTip=2
    RecentFile:0=
    RecentFile:1=
    RecentFile:2=
    RecentFile:3=
    The server name and share will obviously be different, just check if your old server is referenced in them.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,107 Times in 785 Posts

Steve; you just read my mind was gonna say have you checked these files.
    ours are the same. These ini files are a nuisance some times i always carry a spare set on my usb drive for copying over always works a treat.

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by Glensc
    I found myself babysitting pupils for school sports days, not impressed by this and had a lot to catch up on because of it.
    No problem, I've been there before myself. A few weeks back I found myself at a local themepark looking after half of year 8.

I've just run a search for the old server name (pc-server), nothing found on a client, but on the SIMS server (Odin) it appears in some log files from March (during transfer), some logon scripts in the SYSVOL that havn't been touched since 2001, and S:\SIMS\system\STATION.04\SIMSMAN.BAT
    Code:
    @echo off
    SET LANID=2J
    \\
    cd \\PC-SERVER\F$\CAPITA\SIMS
    SIMSMAN.EXE %1 %2
    which is a file I've never noticed before, but I'm guessing (Due to the Set Lanid) it's from when my predecessor was trying to get SIMS working over Terminal Services.
    The same search on the PDC (Thor) has returned log files from 2005 (when I believe Thor was installed) and the same logon scripts in the SYSVOL.
    I trawled the DNS when removing the old server to check it was removed properly, but I've gone to double check and I've spotted a reference in Reverse Lookup Zones/4.163.10.in-addr.arpa where it's listed as a Name Server (Odd as the pc-server wasn't in that subnet). I'll remove the reference and see if it helps. EDIT: Nope, no change.
    I'd search for the IP address too, but I've actually forgotten what it was ^^;

@Steve & Bossman: I've checked the connect.ini and sims.ini files and there's no reference to the old server:
    C:\Program Files\SIMS\SIMS .net\connect.ini
    Code:
    [SIMSConnection]
    Redirect=S:\SIMS
    S:\SIMS\connect.ini
    Code:
    [SIMSConnection]
    ServerName=ODIN\SIMS
    DatabaseName=SIMS
    C:\Windows\Sims.ini
    Code:
    [Setup]
    SIMSSetupsDirectory=\\ODIN\SIMS\Setups
    SIMSDotNetDirectory=C:\Program Files\SIMS\SIMS .net
    SIMSDirectory=S:\SIMS
    FinanceDirectory=C:\Program Files\SIMS\Finance
    OfflineSQLAppsDirectory=
    SIMSSQLAppsDirectory=
    Folder=SIMS Applications
    WorkStation=5.28
    NeedIcons=FALSE
    [InstallationLogs]
    SIMSInfrastructureSetup.exe=C:\Users\{*username*}\AppData\Local\Temp\SIMSInfrastructureSetup.log
    SIMSApplicationSetup.exe=C:\Users\{*username*}\AppData\Local\Temp\SIMSApplicationSetup.log
    [Machine]
    Infrastructure=1.00
    [BDE]
    BDEVersion=2.52
    BDEPath=C:\IDAPI
    BDEConfigPath=C:\IDAPI\IDAPI.CFG
    [Fonts]
    SIMS Attendance Key 8pt (VGA res)=SIMSATT.FON
    SIMS Monospaced 6,8pt (VGA res)=SIMSMONO.FON
    SIMS Field Navigator 8pt (VGA res)=SIMSFNAV.FON
    SIMS Clear 'a' font 8,10,12,14,18,24pt (VGA res)=SIMSCLRA.FON
    [Alerts]
    AlertDirectory=S:\SIMS\ALERTS\

Thank Post

I've just run a search for the old server name (pc-server), nothing found on a client, but on the SIMS server (Odin) it appears in some log files from March (during transfer), some logon scripts in the SYSVOL that havn't been touched since 2001, and S:\SIMS\system\STATION.04\SIMSMAN.BAT
    Code:
    @echo off
    SET LANID=2J
    \\
    SIMSMAN.EXE %1 %2
    If that .BAT file is being run by a client it'll probably account for the unexpected DNS call you are getting, doubt it'll account for the original problem though, maybe if it's being run on more than one machine setting the LANID on both to the same thing might be confusing it, looking at the directory structure it looks like it was designed to run on one particular machine ( Station.04 ) to avoid that, though if it is the cause ( of the DNS query ) and you get that coming from more than one machine that would imply that the .BAT's being run by them both, in which case the LANID being duplicated might break something. I'm not actually sure that SIMS. NET still needs the LANID set, not being particularly involve with SIMS if I can help it though having duplicate LANIDs might still break things in interesting ways.

If your predicessor was trying to follow something like this

http://www.six.somerset.gov.uk/sixv3...d.asp?did=4727 ( probably 3 years old ) you may find they've left a few references to it lying around. seaching for files contain text station.04 and simsman.bat might throw up something interesting. Not being a SIMS expert I'd be tempted to ( at least temporarily ) rename SIMSMAN.BAT to SIMSMAN.BAT.OLD then reboot client, log on and see if things break/fix or it throws up any error info, just because it's a reasonable quick thing to do and change back again.

S:\SIMS\connect.ini
    Code:
    [SIMSConnection]
    ServerName=ODIN\SIMS
    DatabaseName=SIMS
    " ServerName=ODIN\SIMS" Now that looks wrong to me. why set a directory in a server name? Another quick test might be delete the directory part and see if it helps/hinders things.

C:\Windows\Sims.ini
    Code:
    [Setup]
    <snip>
    WorkStation=5.28
    Code:
    Anyone know what this entry is doing?

Infrastructure=1.00
    or this?
    [/quote][/quote]

Thank Post

Good point Glen. Although it is possible to specify an SQL instance. That normally goes with the database name.

The strange thing is though according Irazmus's description everything else works apart from the import of new reports into the DMS.

Thank Post

It's set as
    Code:
    ServerName=ODIN\SIMS
    as the old one was
    Code:
    ServerName=PC-SERVER\SIMS
    Having never even touched SIMS before doing the server replacement, it seemed safest to simply swap out the netbios names.

I don't think the bat is being run by anything (I have no machine named station.04, and I suspect it was meant to be used as a TS logon script to get SIMS working on a Mac), but I'll try renaming it anyway. It could easily have been 3+ years ago as SIMS was running on the old server for 8 years.

@NetworkGeezer: Yep, everything else works perfectly, we can put data in, it's just a pain to get it out again

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,107 Times in 785 Posts

I used to use below script for early Sims system before the .Net framework version.

@echo off
    SET LANID=2J
    \\
    SIMSMAN.EXE %1 %2"
    as sims did not recognise the workstation you had to create a workstation in old dos mode using win95 clients then you had to set the lanid for that particular workstation. You then had to set up a user account for that workstation and set all permissions through this account. Bit long winded but there you go. This should not be affecting your clients but as you say I would rename to old. Hope this helps you further.

Ahhhh the joys of LAN IDs. How I miss SIMS..... NOT

Thank Post

Is the document manager server running properly? Tools -> Setups -> Document manger server. Click the "test server connection" button, you should get a "server ok" response. Have you also tried the database diagnostics? (backup first! ). I suspect it could just be the doucment manager though.

Thank Post

@bossman: OK, so it seems my assumption was a little off. I didn't have the 'pleasure' of pre .Net SIMS. Renamed to .old, no difference.

@DMcCoy: The Document Manager is running, the connection test returns 'OK' when used with the hostname, but fails when using the IP (one of the biggest mysteries thus far)
    Havn't tried the DB diagnostics, and I'll hold off on that until I speak with the LSU again.

We can add to the list of attempted fixes:
    * Uninstall and reinstall the Document Server

Thank Post

@bossman: OK, so it seems my assumption was a little off. I didn't have the 'pleasure' of pre .Net SIMS. Renamed to .old, no difference.

@DMcCoy: The Document Manager is running, the connection test returns 'OK' when used with the hostname, but fails when using the IP (one of the biggest mysteries thus far)
    Havn't tried the DB diagnostics, and I'll hold off on that until I speak with the LSU again.
    Possibility...
    Is document manager using a webserver interface on the server. In which case the conection is probably using HTTP1.1 host headers, ie using the header info to conect to the corect virtual website, using the IP it's not getting that info and failing.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast