+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
MIS Systems Thread, School to Academy with new Dfes number in Technical; Our school is soon to become and Academy school. The new academy will have a new Dfes number. Our local ...
    Thank Post

School to Academy with new Dfes number

Our school is soon to become and Academy school.
    The new academy will have a new Dfes number. Our local SIMS support have suggested that we will need to start from day 1 with a new empty database, and import the current students into it.
    Could be great in one respect as it will get rid of lots of old rubbish / on longer needed data .
    If we start afresh what about the historical data. I know this could held on a second SIMS server but how will staff access this data? Would they need to, I assume they would at some point? What about when the census is run?
    Anyone been through this before?

Cheers

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ozydave View Post
    Our school is soon to become and Academy school.
    The new academy will have a new Dfes number. Our local SIMS support have suggested that we will need to start from day 1 with a new empty database, and import the current students into it.
    Could be great in one respect as it will get rid of lots of old rubbish / on longer needed data .
    If we start afresh what about the historical data. I know this could held on a second SIMS server but how will staff access this data? Would they need to, I assume they would at some point? What about when the census is run?
    Anyone been through this before?

Cheers
    Yes, we went through that here, although it was before I started so I wasn't actually responsible for the change, but I can tell you how we manage both databases now.

What happens here is there are two different database instances on the same server. The connect.ini file for all staff connects only to the new database, but there are a few admin people in the school that have a modified connect.ini file which prompts SIMS to put a drop down box on the login screen, so they can select which database to log into, it's quite a simple solution really.

The only times access to this data is needed is when someone requests information that's held within it, which happens ocassionally, or they need to reference something that wasn't transfered over to the new database.

Mike.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,781 Times in 1,105 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Most of the historical information (previous KS results, SEN, contact details and contact people) can be pulled over. Other historical information (attendance, behaviour, etc) tends not to be taken across as the Academy is a chance to start from scratch.

Thank Post
    What about the assessment manager results, aspects, templates and reports ; profiles; linked documents; etc

What happens to them?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Most of these can be exported and moved across but the Academy may choose not to as they relate to a different school. I know it sounds silly but often they just want a statement of what level the student is now, where they should be now and what level they have to get to.

Things like Profiles are the same ... it can all start again.

It does vary from academy to academy but most things can be take out and imported into a new system, but don't stress about it too much.

Thank Post
    Maniac, any chance you could post the connect.ini here?

Thank Post
    Was it like this?

[SIMSConnection]
    ServerName=127.0.0.1\training
    DatabaseName=simssec
    DatabaseMode=OnLine
    Connectiontype=trusted
    CommandTimeOut=100000

[SIMSDatabases]
    friendlyname0=SIMSSEC
    Server0=127.0.0.1\training
    Databasename0=SIMSSEC
    DatabaseMode0=online

friendlyname1=SIMSPRI
    Server1=127.0.0.1\training
    Databasename1=SIMSPRI
    Databasemode1=online
    I wasn't even aware of this!
    Last edited by Steve_T; 14th May 2009 at 11:28 AM. Reason: Coding

Thank Post

new beginning

I have a similar issue with some work I'm doing. The new DCSF number means that the academy is a new school . A new MIS has to be set up.( ideal opportunity to start afresh). Historical data from the predecessor school should go to the Local Authority as its theirs. In reality they would probably want the new academy to have it so as to answer any queries.

New DCSF number, new MIS and new server. New start.

I would always recommend you start afresh. I would not even bother with data transfer but get temporary support to do data input. If you have to do data transfer limit it but even then you need to do validation.

Also get a new server.

The big issue is where is the money coming from initially? Your PM's and ICT consultants should sort that out. Getting the base data correct and ready for Septemebr is an issue.

-28 31' 48.89", +28 25' 37.42" ... if only.
    Thank Post
    Our understanding and practice is that it is a new school. The new school is not entitled to the old school data, other than that transferred by CTF.

We at the LA keep the old school data and any requests from people such as potential employers come to us and we are responsible for passing on that information.

This comes from our Data Protection people.

Thank Post

Thanks

Creese thats what I thought but a DCSF advisor had never come across this. I think some new academies have kept the data but they should not have. They are not the data owner.

I have asked the question of a local authority but yet no reply. What about staff details ?

Thank Post
    Staff details would be the same and of course there is no CTF to transfer any details across.

The Academies should also be aware of Capita's Academy licensing costs.

Thank Post
    Yes Sims Academy prices are a bit more!!!. I'm surprised especially as its an ideal time to review an MIS as part of the whole academy process. I thought they would have gone the other way.

Thank Post
    We have pointed out the potential loss of revenue to them but nothing has moved so far. We have had several schools go to Academy status. What happens when the Tories allow primaries to go to Academy

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I've checked some things internally within our LA as a similar issue has come up.

A data arrangement needs to be signed between the original school (or LA if it is an LA school rather than foundation / trust) and the management (or board) of the new school. This is published to the parents and community and all relevant agencies are informed. The data that can be transferred is that which would be in a pupil record (the paper ones .... in yellow folders around here). The old database is securely disposed of.

As an interim information can be shared between the old and new schools but only enough to get the new MIS set up and configured. The final transfer is to be done via CTF at the end of year as a school move.

If you are becoming an academy then you will usually have some level of project management interface with Becta / DCSF and they have minimum guidance as to what can and can't be done. Your LA may put additional restrictions or exceptions on these. If in don't ask your LA.

HTH

15. Thanks to GrumbleDook from:

NewOrder (20th May 2009)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by GrumbleDook View Post
    The old database is securely disposed of.

HTH
    Is that not as worrying as it seems? What about the requirement to keep Attendance data?

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast