+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
MIS Systems Thread, Exams Organiser errors after every upgrade in Technical; Yep happened again with the June Release. Whilst it's a PITA - at least it's just the Exams Module which ...

Thank Post
    Yep happened again with the June Release. Whilst it's a PITA - at least it's just the Exams Module which is only really used by one person!

Thank Post
    If you have a case number I will look into it.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,069 Times in 760 Posts
    Have had Automation error on a couple of occasions but not for exams module only Nova-T4.............Strange............Uninstall of Sims then clean re-install via SIMSINST.exe as Gatt has done. It cannot be the windows updates as all the other workstations are all fine after the Sims workstation upgrade and it has only happened on a few occasions.

Thank Post
    No case number Phil - not formally reported it (mainly because I get bounced between LA and Capita each time) and with it only affecting 1 member of staff, it's managable at present - but does get annoying around results time!

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,069 Times in 760 Posts
    @Phil:

Why is it that the august upgrade is always so close to the exam results day, could it not be released slightly earlier so people can get over the shock and get little anomalies sorted instead of a couple of days before the exam results.
    Am I right in presuming this has something to do with the exam boards and their data formats?

Thank Post
    if the user who triggers the workstation upgrade doesn't have power user rights or above (or haven’t had simsperm.bat, in the sims\setups dir, run to grant the exact rights required) then this will cause these automation errors. When you reinstall the workstation I'm guessing you're doing it as an admin, which therefore fixes the problem... until an unprivileged user runs the next upgrade... then we repeat the process

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by scebe427 View Post
    if the user who triggers the workstation upgrade doesn't have power user rights or above (or havenít had simsperm.bat, in the sims\setups dir, run to grant the exact rights required) then this will cause these automation errors. When you reinstall the workstation I'm guessing you're doing it as an admin, which therefore fixes the problem... until an unprivileged user runs the next upgrade... then we repeat the process
    Except that using the default simsperm.bat doesn't fix the permissions correctly for exams organiser. Tweaking a couple of permissions regarding COM registration (as Matt pointed out above) does fix it.

Thank Post
    Happens here every time too.

Network manager came & fixed it for me yesterday (it was the first time I'd tried to use exams since the upgrade, so he's not a slacker). He knew what the problem was, fixed it & has assured me it won't happen in August. He didn't explain what was going on but I know he lurks here too, so it's either wait for him to pop up and say what the issue was or/and I owe one of you guys thanks by proxy ...

Thank Post
    Bossman yes the problem with the whole exams area is that information is released very late. DCSF define the points allocations by June. We review them and often have to go back to DCSF which often results in finements. When schools get the results there are usually qualifications that were unknown and we have to go back to DCSF for clarification. This can result in a re-release.

This year JCQ altered the entry formats about 2 weeks ago. That has to be put into the August release too.

10. 2 Thanks to PhilNeal:

bossman (16th July 2009), Gatt (16th July 2009)

Thank Post
    Phil, are there any major changes for the Augusy release or will it be purely a results update?

Thank Post
    There are changes to exam entry formats that JCQ issued two weeks ago. These will be in the August release. You need to be on August or later before starting your next season of entries.

Thank Post
    The August Release also allows you to input Data for Qualifications with no basedata so that it can be included in the PI Data report.
    If you have time that is!

One wonders why there are complaints re errors on Exams Organiser if Cases are not raised with SupportNet .......
    Strange ...........
    Last edited by Sivadam; 17th July 2009 at 12:12 PM.

Thank Post
    We have also got the same issue, and if I remember correctly it only started for us this year. Our two exams machines have all MS updates, plus dotNet etc. Again, only work round is to reinstall. Lucky itís only two machines.

Thank Post
    As has been pointed out, we get this here and its deffintly a permissions thing. The exam officer gets the error message, an administrator logs in and the exams organiser works fine. The administrator logs off and when the exam officer logs back on everything is fine.

Thank Post
    Same problem here on Exams PC after summer upgrade...

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast