+ Post New Thread
MIS Systems Thread, Help! in Technical; This may seem strange but I'm trying to install FMS on a Windows 2003 Server (Member server only with terminal ...
    Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Help!

This may seem strange but I'm trying to install FMS on a Windows 2003 Server (Member server only with terminal services also installed!).

Firstly how do I remove the Security warning everytime I try and run the FMSLOAD.exe app? Secondly it gives an error saying:

Application has generated an exception that could not be handled.

Process ID, Thread ID etcetera.

SIMS .Net works perfectly however!

Also the FMSapplication setup program under setups won't run either?

Wes

Thank Post

Re: Help!

If I'm understanding you right, you've got the FMS client installed on workstations with the DB running on this server, but you don't have the FMS client installed locally. Yes?

If so, you'll need to run FMSSetup.exe from the Spring05 CD to install the client as the FMSApplicationSetup.exe in your setups directory will be a Solus update, and unlike the SIMS installers, the Solus FMS update cannot perform a new install.
    There's also a known problem with the 6.78 FMSSetup.exe in that it overwrites the current (update) FMSApplicationSetup.exe in the setups directory meaning you'll have to rerun Solus (backing up your Setups directory first works just as well [or better if you're on Solus2])

Capita KB 9852 has the full destructions.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Actually I'm installing the client on the server but the server isn't hosting SIMS SQL files it's so that I can look at getting Terminal Services running on it with the FMS module for the admin personnel to run it from clients that aren't up to the task

BUt I'll have to have a look at the FMSSetup do you know what the size of the file and other attribs are for the newest installation prog?

Thanks

Wes

Thank Post

My predecessor had some 'fun' getting SIMS working over Terminal Services when all our clients were Macs, had to admit defeat in the end and give the office staff Windows clients. I'm told Capita now support TS so I wish you better luck than he had ^^

The FMSSetup.exe is 21.6 MB (22,746,112 bytes), file version 1.510.3.0
    CRC: 1580E370
    MD5: a86d7fa9888e4aab25b93b9a3f43718f

Although now I think about it, you can't run FMSSetup directly, you have to use the setup.exe to pass it the proper commandline switches (I've asked our SIMS support for details of the switch options but they couldn't tell me, and Capita don't have any KB articles on them either)

setup.exe: 2.05 MB (2,153,472 bytes)
    CRC: 25BB48F6
    MD5: 6f534fd605330ae78a83db897a9e44d9

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,889 Times in 1,170 Posts
    Blog Entries

Being honest ... i would pop over to icttechnican.com to rack a few more brains on SIMS issues ... Phil Neall from the SIMS team is a lurker and responds to the odd request (and drop EduGeek's name in any PMs to him)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

I did run the FMS app setup on an XP workstation and that has the same problem looks like I need to find an up-to-date FMS installation or at least an uncorrupted one!

Wes

Thank Post

We got FMS and sims.net installed on the Windows Server 2003 SP1 with TS running. To be honest we didn't have many problems installing the client but its was the usage of it that caused the issue, especially FMS.

One thing we encountered was that when a window was open in FMS, it wouldn't allow the user to close the window and complained about unable to write to sims.ini file. This was just the permission issue so just give your TS Users write access to the sims.ini file which is located in C:\windows or C:\windows\system i can't remember exactly where it is.

For the install, yes you need run the setup from the string 2005 CD i believe.

Another issue we are experiencing is the the personnel module is not working very well and crashes often when using it via TS. I think its the NTVDM.exe that is causing the problem but haven't pinpointed the exact problem.

Launcher is installed because our bursar requires access to Personnel module. I hope Capital sorts out the Personnel module and other 16bit and convert them to 32bit and for god sake have everything ins MS SQL server not the sybase crap.!!

Ash.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

The issue I have had with the personnel module is a knackered copy of the persynch utlity ...

A restore of the sims client from pre-march followed by an initial run to patch it up to the latest build fixed it. (We don't keep the clients other than the installers in the setups folder ... it was just that we found an old admin machine that hadn't been turned on and I was able to copy files back across ... originally to get a good copy of persynch ... but it just worked in general ... bloody lucky if you ask me!)

Thank Post

@GrumbleDook Err didn't you have any backups of the S:\SIMS folder tree?

@Ashok I hear what you about getting evrything on SQL. The trouble is when Capita .netify a module the first release doesn't work so well and lots of important functionality gets chucked out with the bathwater because it didn't capture the imiagination of the developers.

Thank Post

@wesleyw: I've got the spring 05 CD sitting on my webserver if you want a copy. It's my home DSL link so it's pretty slow, but you're welcome to grab a copy.
    I'll PM the details if you're interested.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

@itwombat: I should clarify ... the persynch problem is that the file was buggered ... but a working copy of it still did not work due to local files from SIMS.net being from incorrect versions (even though they weren't).

By copying back in an old local SIMS.net folder onto the c drive we could then run an update and it was happy.

Sometimes we fine that after Solus updates can bugger up when being rolled out to workstations ... and it is not SIMS.net that has the issue ... but the legacy sections of SIMS. We still need to access some historical data for exams results (that could never be moved across happily to SIMS.net) and we find this has regularily gone pear-shaped ...

It happens ... we accept it and play the waiting game on Solus updates now. We wait to see if we get emails a few days after the update notification saying "Bugger ... it's b0rken again" or see if anything crops up here, on the Capita forums or other forums.

Thank Post

We had to...

After FMS is installed following the permissions, there are further permissions that need to be set manually. Full permissions are required on the local machine for:

sims directory
    sql directory
    sims.ini file in the windows folder
    pdoxusrs.net in the C: drive

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

@Irazmus Thanks for the offer to download but thankfully I've made several copies of this CD lol! Knowing full well this might be the case. Also our LEA has said I can pickup a Feb 2006 CD with a more upto date installation. Your offer is very much appreciated however.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Okay I've managed to sort out the initial instllation and the FMS program runs properly either directly on the server or through TS as the administrator account sadly my own account doesn't which also has domain admin permissions. The error I get is:

Bad or missing sims_db.ini: Unable to find SIMS database settings in sims_db.ini

I'll try the permissions now and see....

Update: Tried the Permissions suggested still the same error?

Wes

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread

Thread Information