+ Post New Thread
MIS Systems Thread, Sims.net Publishing weekly cover lists to an internal web page in Technical; Hi all, Just after a bit of advice. I'm trying to publish the weekly cover list onto an internal webpage ...

Thank Post

Sims.net Publishing weekly cover lists to an internal web page

Hi all,

Just after a bit of advice.

I'm trying to publish the weekly cover list onto an internal webpage so that staff can access it through the intranet without having to pop down to the staffroom and checking the printed out copy.

I can publish the page each day, but then obviously my link on the intranet site doesn't work and it means someone in the main office has to faff around in order to get it to work.

I think part of the problem is that my internal webpage isn't set up correctly.

We've just moved to cover 7.

Any hep anyone can provide would be gratefully received.

Cheers

Iain

Thank Post
    What would be good is if the list could be bulk emailed! How about it Capita?

Thank Post
    this should be fairly easy to accomplish via scheduled reports in either xml or csv format along with an asp/php page to display the data.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Iain.Faulkner View Post
    Hi all,

Just after a bit of advice.

I'm trying to publish the weekly cover list onto an internal webpage so that staff can access it through the intranet without having to pop down to the staffroom and checking the printed out copy.

I can publish the page each day, but then obviously my link on the intranet site doesn't work and it means someone in the main office has to faff around in order to get it to work.

I think part of the problem is that my internal webpage isn't set up correctly.

We've just moved to cover 7.

Any hep anyone can provide would be gratefully received.

Cheers

Iain
    We have been able to integrate sims and moodle.

If a teacher logs into moodle, their timetable is avaliable and any cover lessons they have for the week.

Thank Post

Publish Cover

We publish from cover 7 to our intranet. Provided it is set up to publish to COVER7_NS.HTM from Cover 7 all should be well. Our users click a link on the front page of the Intranet and get a weekly page so they can select the day or another day. This page also has a back and forward button to take it to other weeks.

6. Thanks to Jeremy69 from:

Iain.Faulkner (2nd April 2009)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,469 Times in 1,220 Posts
    We also have a setup whereby Cover is published daily, but also sent weekly as well if future cover is known.

I use the full scripted one and it's fine. On my Intranet server there is a folder that i've shared specifically for the cover pages and the cover supervisor has permissions to write to it.

She can just send from SIMS and it overwrites whats in that folder.

Users access that page from a link on the intranet - works a treat. The only slight problem we had was that the 'next week' and 'previous week' buttons wouldn't work, something to do with the target / framing, but if the user holds down the Ctrl button while clicking then it just opens a new page with the correct info on.

It works suprisingly well considering our week is Sat - Wed, so we have to spill over into two weeks.

I'm not sure why you are saying your link on the intranet site doesn't work... it should always point to the same page. In my case its 'cover7.htm'. The page even shows our school logo.

8. Thanks to vikpaw from:

Thank Post
    Excellent, Cheers for that. I think we're getting somewhere with this now.

I'm now able to publish the weekly cover, and staff can access each individual day etc. Just a couple of broken images (top let hand corner), and an issue with moving from week to week. But at least functionality is getting there and it's a big improvement on the paper version we currently use!

Thank Post
    The broken image is probably the logo, check the html for what it's looking for.
    In my case we put a copy of our logo in the folder and named it "school_logo.jpeg".

As for moving week to week, try the holding down the Control button, it worked for us. We're on IE7 by the way, and use the scripted version. We had different problems with IE6 I think you had to press Shift so you got a whole new window.

I'm tending now to tell people to look at their homepage for cover requirements as on the timeline in the middle it goes BLUE on a period they are used for cover.

The intranet page is so they can check future planned cover arrangements.

11. Thanks to vikpaw from:

Thank Post
    Hello Peeps, sorry if this is an old thread but how do you set up cover to publish to an internal webpage as when i press HTML i get " the folder to publish the html file does not exist please check the global setting" new to cover 7 any help would be gratefully received!!

Thank Post
    Hi @DaveCoop , it's pretty much how it says, click on Tools menu, then Cover | Global Settings.

Section 3 allows you to choose the location. I have a folder on the intranet called cover and it's shared to all for read, and the cover supervisor for write. i enter it in the form: \\server1\cover and tick the box 'include reason for assignment' .

The intranet then has a link to the cover folder followed by \cover7.htm (we use the scripted browser version)

Try it out for you initially, the only fiddly thing will be the permissions of the person that needs to do the export normally.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread