+ Post New Thread
MIS Systems Thread, SIMS Installer in Technical; Q. Is anyone still using the old SIMSinst (SIMS installer)? (See pick below) Yes? Why? There has been a new ...

Thank Post

SIMS Installer

Q. Is anyone still using the old SIMSinst (SIMS installer)?

(See pick below) Yes? Why? There has been a new version out for over a year now! I say this as I was asking for some new features in the next version, which is part of the SIMS .net March installable.

If you are using the old version, ask your LEA to send you the new version, the current version is able to be downloaded via SOLUS, ok it's big, but hey, it includes everything you need for SIMS and you just run in a single exe.

Next question, how many of you know there is a FMSinst? Again, you run this and it installs everything you need, end of. I'm still moaning at Capita about getting this on SOLUS, so until then, you'll need to get the FMS 6.112 installable CD and rip the .exe from the CD, or ask your LEA nicely to send you just the exe and the updated SIMS infrastructure package. (hint 7zip opens both the zip and the iso )

For anyone who has trouble with the SQL Native Client, yes, it's in the SIMS infrastructure along with all the .NET Frameworks you'll need.

2. 2 Thanks to matt40k:

Gatt (25th March 2009), vikpaw (22nd July 2009)

Thank Post
    What is the filename of the new installer? What is the benefit over the SIMSinst pictured?

AFAIK Capita are still working on their deployment system which should remove the need for a manual install. I gather it's looking pretty good.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,028 Times in 729 Posts
    @matt40k:

I am on version 6.9 FMS here and used the FMS installer over a year ago just update finance via Solus and the workstations update from the server, I thought everyone was aware of this.
    Initially Solus was developed to take pressure off local authorities and when BSF takes over the whole country the government strategy is to have data centres linked to a centralised database so the records of every child plus staff will be under one roof to link access to other outside agencies such as police, hospitals, social workers, careers groups etc etc.
    This is my theory albeit a conspiracy one but hey it might happen!!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by sahmeepee View Post
    What is the filename of the new installer? What is the benefit over the SIMSinst pictured?

AFAIK Capita are still working on their deployment system which should remove the need for a manual install. I gather it's looking pretty good.
    Same name, pretty much the same, just new Capita logos and it's more of the Capita blue.

SOLUS3 is on the way, however you're looking at "for everyone in early 2010".

@bossman
    I think you miss understand me, fms upgrades are going over SOLUS, however the FMS infrastructure isn't. Two totally different things. You'll see the benefits when you try to install FMS on a new client.

Also your FMS is really out of date if your on 6.91, we're on 6.112 in Suffolk - Nov '08. Latest is the March '09 release.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by bossman View Post
    the government strategy is to have data centres linked to a centralised database so the records of every child plus staff will be under one roof to link access to other outside agencies such as police, hospitals, social workers, careers groups etc etc.
    Its called Contact Point.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylv3r View Post
    Its called Contact Point.
    Hate ContactPoint and it hasn't even started. I believe, Suffolk at least, is pulling most of the data from the School Census. Therefore it hasn't got anything to do with SIMS.

I don't think they are going to pull anything from ONE\EMS which pulls the data (via B2B) from the schools SIMS system. I could be wrong.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread