+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
MIS Systems Thread, SIMS - beginner advice in Technical; I don't think the files =254 is needed where a machine is solely going to access SIMS .net. It was ...
    Thank Post
    I don't think the files =254 is needed where a machine is solely going to access SIMS .net. It was for old DBF-based SIMS modules.

Thank Post
    Their using Sims .net and FMS 6.112

Thank Post

Old commands

There were a number of commands for the dbf version of sIMS which used Launcher as its front end including the FILES= statement and also giving every workstation a LANID number( SET LANID=01)
    None of them are needed now unless you still have some data in old style SIMS that did not come across and you need to access it. for example when sims.net started the information in the old STAR archive was made inaccessible (incomprhensible to do this) so we keep it going on one workstation for as long as we can in case we need it. Typically it gets used twice a year and one day..................................

4. Thanks to Jeremy69 from:

Jobos (18th March 2009)

Thank Post
    I'm new to the Sims package as well and could do with some questions answering or advise!

My first thing to achieve with Sims is to remove the Admin Domain where Sims is installed and then join the server into Academic Domain as a member server where we have the Teacher user accounts so that everyone can use Sims. Has anyone gone through this process? Have read a few posts on edugeek about people having this done but have not found any posts about the same sort of migration, rather moving Sims to new server hardware.

Planning on keeping the Server name the same as I think changing it will cause even more problems!
    The advice from Sims was that once the server had AD removed and was a member server in the new Domain that SQL would have to be reinstalled and then the databases mounted. We will also need to change the Mapped Network Drive that Sims runs on as we already have that Drive letter in use on the Academic network. - I know that if Capita are coming into do the job I should not be thinking about how itís done, but I am nevertheless!

The other questions I have are -

1) Are all the user account details for Sims held in the Sims database? Iím almost sure they are not the same as the AD account details.

2) Does FMS work in the same way for the user accounts and groups as there are some AD groups on the Admin Domain with accountancy terms for the group name.

thanks in advance for any answers or advise with this

Thank Post
    You can choose whether to have your sims ids in the simes database (traditional method) or tie them up with AD.
    FMS has a separate set of user ids and passwords. Don't think these can yet be same as AD but someone will correct if I've got it wrong.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,441 Times in 1,194 Posts
    Hi drewp

I've never done the migration, but it was done at my last school before i arrived.

It shouldn't be a problem, but definitely get Capita to come in and do it as there are always little complexities that crop up and it's best if they are there to resolve them.

Reinstalling SQL and then adding your database also is fairly trivial. Just make sure you have good backups.

Changing the mapped drive shouldn't be a problem at all. Just need to give access to the existing users to the new drive and also change their local connect.ini file to point to it.

All user account details are held in the SIMS database (well i think it's between sims and master database actually) but if properly backed up and reattached they should all stay the same. It's unlikely that you have single sign-on setup which would mean that the sims accounts are silently linked to the domain accounts. If that is the case you'll need to reset those passwords with system manager.

FMS should be the same, as it should also now be an SQL database, however as Jeremy69 said, they are completely separate to the sims accounts.

Thank Post
    Thanks for help so far,

The users we have already using SIMS all say that it is slow, not used SIMS as I donít have a logon (and itís on the other network ) but is this a normal user comment?

We are using Sophos AV and I have configured it not to scan remote files, and excluded the c:\program files\SIMS\ directory to see if it is the AV that is causing the slowness but not had any feedback just yet. Users canít really give me a specific time of day when it is slow, but some days are worse than others.

Is there anything else I could look at, or is this something that I should talk to Capita about?

Thank Post
    Sophos definitely has an impact on SIMS when upgrades are done so it is worth excluding the setups directory on the server from being scanned. Excluding the directories that you have is also likely to have a positive impact. I think you need to get users to define when it is slow because there are some fixes, for example an addition you can make to the connect.ini file if sims times out doing certain jobs.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12