+ Post New Thread
MIS Systems Thread, Lesson Monitor - Since December 08 Release in Technical; HI.. First post here.. so here goes. Since the November Release (Dec 08) for updating SIMS in school from our ...
    Thank Post

Lesson Monitor - Since December 08 Release

HI..

First post here.. so here goes.

Since the November Release (Dec 08) for updating SIMS in school from our LEA, we have had emence problems using Lesson Monitor under .NET.

Prior to this upgrade.. we are happily using Lesson Monitor with 60+ clients for registration 5 times a day.

The problem we have now is Lesson Monitor times out with an error of "The database query timed out : SIMS.Entities.DatabaseExceptionTimeout""

This happens at random times across the whole site either when loading the register or when saving the register.

Before this upgrade we made no changes to infrastructure within the network and had no issues.

We have no problems or timeouts in SIMS, the problem only exists within Lesson Monitor v6.56

Under our LEA's advice, we have;

1. Doubled the the amount of RAM in the server.
    2. Modified the connect.ini file with a timeoutcommand of 150000 secs - This i disagreed with as im sure this is only for connecting to the main SIMS.NET Gui, and we dont have an issue here.
    3. We have relocated the SIMS server within our network and changed its connection from 100Mb to 1000MB with a new switch (HP Procurve 2510G)
    4. Our LEA installed a patch from Capita that was suppose to deal with the problem, but made no ounce of difference.

Last contact from Capita, said they were working on better memory management for LM but it gave no time scale.

Our LEA are saying the problem is our network, but we have no issues anywhere else on the network. And SIMS itself is fine just not LM.

Anybody else have problems with timeouts in Lesson Monitor?

Or can suggest things for me to check?

Mr_P

Thank Post
    We have over 1600 schools using Lesson Monitor and I am absolutely confident that the issue you have doesn't reside within our software. Please identify yourself to me and I will ensure you get the necessary assistance.

Thank Post
    Hi.

Thanks for your reply..

You should be able to look us up.

Capita Case: 0902-474328, Lesson Monitor 7 [Your ref: 969871 / 4143]

We have followed instruction in article KB84404 about speed issues and performance in LM7 etc.

I also was passed an email from Dan Smith at Capita which suggested there is a problem with memory usage.

Just for info.. we have upgraded to V7 of LM tonight which was included in our LEA's March Release (December 08)

Rgds

Mr P

Thank Post
    Thanks - I will ensure this is followed up tomorrow.

Thank Post
    We have closer to 80 people registering 7 times a day and we have no problems mate; sounds like something's going a bit screwy on your end

Thank Post
    Glad its ok for you. Yeah we had close to that prior.

My issue is.. prior to the upgrade the problem didnt exist, so I want to determine wether it is equipment failure my end or its a software problem.

I understand it could be coinicidence.. so I need be able to make sure im doing everything my end I can.

If you could give me some info back on your setup that would be good. Server spec.etc

IM also interested to know what if any Windows Updates you have installed.

Like we have said , we have relocated the server into a different building with new switching and have isolated an area of the lan to see if its a networking issue.
    We even introduced new switching but still the problem exists.

Rgds

Mr_P

Thank Post
    I've heard most schools have used dual (bonded) gigabit, which resolves any issues with timeouts and sims. As for lesson monitor, why the hell are you only using v6? V7 is far easy, better etc.

I assume your sims is 7.114 (Dec 08 release)?

Thank Post
    Hi.

we are now using V7.. but still have the issue.

We were using V6. Prior to the December Release, which our LEA released to us this month.

Thank Post
    I've had a message back from your support desk to say that they haven't been able to get hold of you. We have requested your data as we haven't been permitted to Lan desk in. If you contact them it would be helpful. Thanks.

Thank Post
    Hi

Very strange this.. After you posted they rang me the following morning, stating you "Capita" had requested my data.
    This was provided to the LEA, as they remoted in to collect it the following day.. I was a bit miffed to watch them change our file permissions across our sims server while they tried to unzip the backup file they copied.
    Anway im sure it was last wednesday, but they have a copy of our data which I assume they are passing on to your guys.
    Ive spoken with them on all occasions they have rang..

Thanks for what your are doing here.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread