+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 29
MIS Systems Thread, Sims2ad integration. in Technical; Hi all, I am currently in the process of re-writing the sims2ad vb script and changing it to a moodle ...
  1. #1
    penfold_99's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    East Sussex
    Posts
    1,003
    Thank Post
    60
    Thanked 167 Times in 119 Posts
    Rep Power
    69

    Sims2ad integration.

    Hi all,

    I am currently in the process of re-writing the sims2ad vb script and changing it to a moodle block.

    The question i have could people supply the format of their usernames ie

    [Intake Year][Initial First Name][Initial Middle Name][Surname]

    i would like to include as many formats as possible.

  2. #2

    Gatt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    6,820
    Thank Post
    883
    Thanked 685 Times in 454 Posts
    Rep Power
    505
    [First Initial][Middle Initial][Surname]
    Though not all kids/staff have a middle initial!

  3. #3
    penfold_99's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    East Sussex
    Posts
    1,003
    Thank Post
    60
    Thanked 167 Times in 119 Posts
    Rep Power
    69
    @Gatt,

    Thanks

    Another question to add.

    Does you ad structure mirror the following structure?

    OU=[School Name]
    +=Year [Intake Year]

    ie

    OU=School
    += Year 07
    += Year 08
    etc

  4. #4

    Gatt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    6,820
    Thank Post
    883
    Thanked 685 Times in 454 Posts
    Rep Power
    505
    OU=School
    +=Users
    ++=Pupils
    +++=Year 07
    +++=Year 08
    etc

  5. #5
    penfold_99's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    East Sussex
    Posts
    1,003
    Thank Post
    60
    Thanked 167 Times in 119 Posts
    Rep Power
    69
    Quote Originally Posted by Gatt View Post
    [First Initial][Middle Initial][Surname]
    Though not all kids/staff have a middle initial!
    What happen if you have two people with the same name?

  6. #6

    Gatt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    6,820
    Thank Post
    883
    Thanked 685 Times in 454 Posts
    Rep Power
    505
    we add an incremental number at the end

    jbloggs
    jbloggs1
    jbloggs2
    etc

  7. #7
    Diello's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Kent, England
    Posts
    1,067
    Thank Post
    118
    Thanked 228 Times in 128 Posts
    Rep Power
    75
    [2-digit-YoE]+[Surname]+[FirstInitial] e.g. 08BloggsJ - if there is say a John & a Jane, then 08BloggsJo & 08BloggsJa

    OU=School
    +=Users
    +=Students
    +=?? Intake (?? being YoE)

  8. #8

    webman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    North East England
    Posts
    8,422
    Thank Post
    645
    Thanked 967 Times in 667 Posts
    Blog Entries
    2
    Rep Power
    328
    Staff and students: (firstname).(lastname)[i]

    joe.bloggs
    joe.bloggs1

  9. #9

    Hightower's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Cloud 9
    Posts
    4,920
    Thank Post
    494
    Thanked 690 Times in 444 Posts
    Rep Power
    242
    [Entry Year][Surname][Initial]

    08BloggsK
    08BloggsK1

    Staff are either [Initial][Surname] or [Surname][Initial] (Mix of both for some reason).

    CC3 network for AD Structure

  10. #10
    User3204's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Wirral
    Posts
    769
    Thank Post
    55
    Thanked 66 Times in 62 Posts
    Rep Power
    35
    You know that Capita to a AD provisioning plug in for SIMS ? And I think it lets you use some sort of regular expressions to assign usernames (it certainly let me do this for our SLG users).

    Staff: First 4 letters of firstname, first four letters of surname, so GordBrow, this is what we use for SIMS.net and AD domains.
    I was talking to a new member of staff who'd had logging on issues, due to the fact at his previous school they use first three of the forename and first 3 of the surname.

    For students it is just [surename][forename initial][as many middle name initials as I can get][numeric counter if more than one]

    (so how I managed to get SmithC5 is because, I have 6 students with no middle names, but the forenames start with a C).


    We have students in AD as [ /students/2009Entry/{username} ]


    If you want to confuse matters, we also store the users home folder in [ d:\users\09\{form}\{username} ] which we share out to the user as [ \\servername\{username} ]
    whereas staff are in [ d:\users\staff\{teachers or support}\{username} ].

  11. #11
    penfold_99's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    East Sussex
    Posts
    1,003
    Thank Post
    60
    Thanked 167 Times in 119 Posts
    Rep Power
    69
    Quote Originally Posted by User3204 View Post
    You know that Capita to a AD provisioning plug in for SIMS ? And I think it lets you use some sort of regular expressions to assign usernames (it certainly let me do this for our SLG users).

    Staff: First 4 letters of firstname, first four letters of surname, so GordBrow, this is what we use for SIMS.net and AD domains.
    I was talking to a new member of staff who'd had logging on issues, due to the fact at his previous school they use first three of the forename and first 3 of the surname.

    For students it is just [surename][forename initial][as many middle name initials as I can get][numeric counter if more than one]

    (so how I managed to get SmithC5 is because, I have 6 students with no middle names, but the forenames start with a C).


    We have students in AD as [ /students/2009Entry/{username} ]


    If you want to confuse matters, we also store the users home folder in [ d:\users\09\{form}\{username} ] which we share out to the user as [ \\servername\{username} ]
    whereas staff are in [ d:\users\staff\{teachers or support}\{username} ].
    Hi ,

    Yes I am aware of the AD provisioning with SLG.

    Our LA is looking at hosting our SLG so the we will have to hand over control of our ad domain to allow single sign on.

    We prefer to use as little MS software as possible, save the continual upgrade cost.

    I will add your username format to the list, i will look into the folder creation part later on, we currently use a samba server to host out home folders as it creates the home directories on first logon.

  12. #12
    Oops_my_bad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Man chest hair
    Posts
    1,738
    Thank Post
    438
    Thanked 53 Times in 50 Posts
    Rep Power
    31
    students: 4 digit admission number (but changing these to 6 next year)
    staff: staff code in SIMS

  13. #13


    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Surrey
    Posts
    2,317
    Thank Post
    131
    Thanked 355 Times in 293 Posts
    Blog Entries
    4
    Rep Power
    142
    Quote Originally Posted by penfold_99 View Post
    Our LA is looking at hosting our SLG so the we will have to hand over control of our ad domain to allow single sign on.
    SLG accounts can be consolidated against different AD domains, so technically there's no reason that the LA shouldn't be able to provision to a domain of their own, then consolidate those accounts against your own internal domain for single sign-on.

    This does require trusts to be set up correctly.

  14. #14
    penfold_99's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    East Sussex
    Posts
    1,003
    Thank Post
    60
    Thanked 167 Times in 119 Posts
    Rep Power
    69
    Quote Originally Posted by Hightower View Post
    CC3 network for AD Structure
    @Hightower,

    Could you expand? as i have never seen a CC3 network

  15. #15
    Oops_my_bad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Man chest hair
    Posts
    1,738
    Thank Post
    438
    Thanked 53 Times in 50 Posts
    Rep Power
    31
    Hi Penfold,

    Could you tell me how I could modify this script so I could use pupil admission numbers for their logins/home drives?

    Currently, I have setup the view in SQL which I've slightly modified to also select student admission number and strip out the leading zeros. It then puts these in another column, Expr1.

    Thanks chap



SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. New OD-AD integration paper.
    By HodgeHi in forum Mac
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 16th May 2011, 11:09 AM
  2. Cachepilot and AD integration
    By GoldenWonder in forum Wireless Networks
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 8th May 2009, 01:50 AM
  3. Macs integration-where to next?
    By HodgeHi in forum Mac
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 19th November 2007, 01:49 PM
  4. Lanview AD integration
    By Andi in forum Network and Classroom Management
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 15th June 2007, 03:30 PM
  5. SIMS AD Integration
    By mark in forum MIS Systems
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 11th November 2006, 01:24 PM

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •