+ Post New Thread
MIS Systems Thread, Parent Online Reporting: www.MyChildAtSchool.com in Technical; Parent Online Reporting: www.MyChildAtSchool.com I am sure I heard the orginal launch of this portal some years back. It appeared ...

Thank Post

Parent Online Reporting: www.MyChildAtSchool.com

Parent Online Reporting: www.MyChildAtSchool.com

I am sure I heard the orginal launch of this portal some years back. It appeared at BETT 2009. It looked very cool and price lower than any other I have come across. Searching on web I see a good feedback for it in a Leicetershire school. It works directly on SIMS and others.

Parents go online to check on pupils

Any other schools with experience with it to share with us?

Thank Post
    It doesn't mention SIMs or others in the literature and what are the costs like?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,305 Times in 1,088 Posts

Well, it's a Bromcom product so i'm sure it can exchange data with SIMS (read/write). Never heard of Bromcom being used with any other MIS, but they are so good i'm sure it wouldn't be a problem for them.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by vikpaw View Post
    Well, it's a Bromcom product so i'm sure it can exchange data with SIMS (read/write). Never heard of Bromcom being used with any other MIS, but they are so good i'm sure it wouldn't be a problem for them.
    Have used Bromcom system yourself?

How about MyChildAtSchool -are you planning to us it? I heard that it best looking piece of software of its type. I tried the demo - it appears as good as I heard. We are planning a trial soon.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,305 Times in 1,088 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Tiger View Post
    Have used Bromcom system yourself?

How about MyChildAtSchool -are you planning to us it? I heard that it best looking piece of software of its type. I tried the demo - it appears as good as I heard. We are planning a trial soon.
    I used Bromcom at my old school, couldn't fault it. The team are great, the support is great and the product worked really well. Even considered getting the whole MIS system as it was so intuitive and quick to use, from a brower interface.

Never used MyChildAtSchool, and now in a SIMS only school, so will be sticking to that. But i'd definitely recommend you test out the system.

Thank Post
    It was my understanding that these were view only products ? The only data that Bromcom write back is statutory attendance and I don't think they write back lesson or behaviour data. Happy for a Bromcom spokesperson to prove me wrong.

Thank Post

Bromcom access to SIMS Data and Capita's on Voluntary Assurance

Quote Originally Posted by Tonyoung View Post
    It was my understanding that these were view only products ? The only data that Bromcom write back is statutory attendance and I don't think they write back lesson or behaviour data. Happy for a Bromcom spokesperson to prove me wrong.
    Interesting what you said - we had the same reservation and questioned Bromcom on it.

Bromcom says OFT's arrangement with Capita on Voluntary Assurance, guarantees read/write access to all Capita database and data access objects and gave us URL for OFT decision - www.bromcom.com/News/press/pdf/020503_Press.pdf

It appears that Bromcom has done their homework here well! I will leave it to Bromcom spokeperson to fill in if I got anything wrong.

Our trial is based on SIMS Data being displayed on MyChilAtSchool parent portal for lesson by lesson Attendance, Assessment Manager Data and Conduct Log for behaviour.

By the way at this point we will be using Bromcom parent portal for parents viewing student data - hence writing back to SIMS does not come into it.

Trial starts after half-term.

I will keep the forum informed.

8. Thanks to Tiger from:

vikpaw (14th February 2009)

Thank Post

Bromcom read/write access

Quote Originally Posted by Tonyoung View Post
    Hi Tony; thanks for your post and invitation for Bromcom to comment!

As the Commercial Affairs Coordinator at Bromcom, I would be happy to clear up any uncertainty in relation to our products; many schools often ask about how the Bromcom system interfaces with third party software, such as Capita, Serco, Pearson and RM etc...

With regard to your specific query; the Bromcom system does enable complete read and write access to the SIMS database.

Tiger is spot on. In 2003, the Office of Fair Trading made the finding that in order for a competitive market to be maintained, Capita would need to provide us with access to their database. In turn, Capita gave the Office of Fair Trading a Voluntary Assurance that they would guarantee this access. This means that Capita are obliged to give us read and write access to the SIMS database as long as we require it. Indeed the decision can be found on the link: www.bromcom.com/News/press/pdf/020503_Press.pdf

We also have a long-standing relationship with Capita, and we are in fact technical partners; this agreement provides a commercial framework and ensures us access to work with their developers if the need arises. This relationship is displayed on Capita’s website: SQL Technical Partners - Capita Children's Services

With regard to the MyChildAtSchool.com parent portal, the users generally only have read access; however, this is because the users are parents, and as such, we do not give them write access to the student database. However, parents do have the option to submit a request to the school to update their contact details through the portal.

Conversely, our products such as e-Registration, m-Register, and e-Behaviour do enable both read and write access to the SIMS database; this is because these are intended for teachers and not parental use.

I hope this clears up any confusion. If anyone has any further queries, please do not hesitate to ask further questions.

Kind regards,

Sidika Ulker
    Bromcom Commercial Affairs Coordinator

10. 2 Thanks to Sidika_Ulker:

Tiger (21st February 2009), vikpaw (21st February 2009)

Thank Post

MCAS

We use both SIMs and Bromcom, with attendance and behaviour collected via Bromcom. We have just had MyChildAtSchool installed over the Easter holidays and will be rolling out to our Y7&8 parents in the next week or so, with a full roll out scheduled for Sep 09. I will let you know how we go on!

Thank Post

Smile

Have seen Bromcom's My Child at School, and can only say wow! It's easy to use and looks fantastic. It was demo'd at the Bett show this year. Have also heard that Bromcom listen to it's user's and if you make a good suggestion they will include it in the next release, how many other software providers do that? Most just supply it and that's how it comes, thank goodness there are people out there who listen.

Thank Post
    We've been using it for a couple of months or so and its been well received by parents. Cheap to set up and run (we already use Bromcom for attendance on top of SIMS). As Bromcom have done most of the work for us I don't know quite how difficult it has been to set up, but they had it operational within about 48 hours.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Tester2001 View Post
    Have seen Bromcom's My Child at School, and can only say wow! It's easy to use and looks fantastic. It was demo'd at the Bett show this year. Have also heard that Bromcom listen to it's user's and if you make a good suggestion they will include it in the next release, how many other software providers do that? Most just supply it and that's how it comes, thank goodness there are people out there who listen.
    I believe that Frog have that philosophy (I have no connection with them).

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread