+ Post New Thread
MIS Systems Thread, SIMS Launcher giving "Windows error (ID=5)" in Technical; I am trying to move a SIMS setup onto a new server. I have done SIMS.net moves a few times ...
    Tom

Thank Post

SIMS Launcher giving "Windows error (ID=5)"

I am trying to move a SIMS setup onto a new server.

I have done SIMS.net moves a few times - and this is all now working on the new server. I can get on SIMS.net and do everything properly.

however - they still want to use the old DOS personnel program from the old sims launcher.

It has been a while since i last did anything with the DOS modules.

I have added lines into config.nt, set a LANID environment variable (using the same ID as the old server), and i can now run the launcher and log in.

However, when i click on personnel i get an error:
    "windows error (id=5) attempting to run personnel" error

I get the same one for most other modules.

Can anybody advise me of what step i have missed out? or what this error ID means?

Thank Post
    You should not be using personnel 5 anymore - you need to get it migrated to P7

Tom

Thank Post
    Unfortunately that aint gonna happen and i need to get the old one back up.

I'm sure i used to have a list of sims error codes from back in the old DOS days, but its long since gone.

Any ideas?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    @Tom

Out of interest can I ask why?

The Problem going to find is that sims.net will start to need info from p7 and if no there then going to have lots of issues I suspect?

Russ

Thank Post
    P5 is dead, it's long dead too. You have no support, end off.

If you're using SIMS .net, P5 won't link into it, so your using the old DB.

The old sims launcher\LANID fall into the, it's dead bit.

If you're really using\wanting to use the old version on a live system, your living in a dream world. The only reason I can see is you don't pay licensing\support. In which case buy it. I think you'll have trouble finding a company other then capita willing to help your migrate the data.

The only non-.net-dos stuff, is exams, novat, options, I suppose I better include system and dinner money (7 on way)

Tom

Thank Post
    It's in a site that has moved over to cmis, and personnel is the only bit left in sims.
    Unfortunately the sims server is very flakey and unreliable so I was hoping to move it over to a different server which was spare.

It has been pointed out many times that they should stop using personnel but were determined to carry on

I think I will point out that unless they want to pay for some capita support they are going to have to take their chances with the old server and push the migration more urgently

Thank Post
    It's unreasonable to support P5. No one else does or even would.

I would try getting it back on the old server and just export everything. I believe, from what little I can remember, you can just open the ruddy db in notepad!! You might be lucky enough to find a ex-capita employee that would help move it over or at least someone who knows about the db type... can't even remember what it's called, i believe it's a flat-file based db... i think, I can't remember names, just type.. i think.

You're going to have to bit the bullet and say no, unsupported, it's gone, if you want support, you're going to have to pay though the nose... it's going to in the thounsands I can guess.

Thank Post
    Try deleting local.mem and the .ntx files in the sims folder then go into Sysman dos and say yes, enter the location of the sims folder then go to <H> and check the path for personnel is correct
    Last edited by Greg; 6th February 2009 at 03:11 PM. Reason: missing word

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom View Post
    However, when i click on personnel i get an error:
    "windows error (id=5) attempting to run personnel" error
    I don't know anything about SIMS but error 5 normally means "access denied"

Do the users have NTFS and share permissions to write to the files/folder? if not, can you try changing that?

I'm pretty sure that the old version of SIMS used dBase files (extension will be .dbf) - if so, you should be able to read the data with Excel or Access if it's just a case of recovering old data.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by srochford View Post

Do the users have NTFS and share permissions to write to the files/folder? if not, can you try changing that?

I'm pretty sure that the old version of SIMS used dBase files (extension will be .dbf) - if so, you should be able to read the data with Excel or Access if it's just a case of recovering old data.

I wouldn't open them in excel. You want fox. Excel will just corrupt it. I would use a win98 box for it personally, less problems. Still I wouldn't try and run P5

Tom

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by srochford View Post

Its looking like you are closest! I have found that i can run launcher and personell from the local drive letter on the server but not from the mapped S: drive.

ive given everyone permission on the share and the file permissions are obviously right as i can do it locally. I've obviously missed something else!

Tom

Thank Post
    OK - Its all working now!

It was as simple as reseting all the file permissions and share permissions, and reconnecting to the sims share.
    also ensuring that all the files in sims\system\station.10 (10 is my server) were correct.

It now works from the server and from additional workstations once i map the S: drive, give them a LANID and run the old WSSETUP on them.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread