+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
MIS Systems Thread, Virtualise SIMS in Technical; Originally Posted by Ric_ I'm running SIMS on Citrix XenServer... it works well... very well. Our old SIMS box was ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,441 Times in 1,194 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ric_ View Post
    I'm running SIMS on Citrix XenServer... it works well... very well. Our old SIMS box was rubbish so the new virtualised instance flies in comparison.

I didn't do a P2V conversion because I wanted a nice clean install (and my old box was still ruunning 2000 so an upgrade would have been needed anyway).

@vikpaw: How many HOWTO guides would you like?
    How many Davidoffs would you like? (you have to collect from walton hall though!)

Thanks for the answers lads.

XenServer is expensive and i'm on a budget. Need to do a proof of concept first.

Hyper-V is from Win2k8 server right? I'm not sure we want to go there yet. I'm assuming it's free though..?

I like the idea of just converting what we currently have into ESX and trying out some updates.

@Oggster - not sure i can make it to Dubai, have to beg the SLT for permission. And they even set the date based on when i could make it!

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,355 Times in 828 Posts
    Blog Entries
    You do get P2V for hyper-v also. SCCM can do it as well as converting ESX to hyper-v I believe.
    Yeh Hyper-V is free with server 2008 and so is the clustering stuff (enterprise edition which is what you would want as you get 4 virtual windows server lics included)

Thank Post

Question

Ok so i'm looking at a proof of concept. still trying to find some hardware that can run ESX so in the meantime looking at running VMWare Server.

Have downloaded and installed it and also got the converter.

Can you / are you supposed to do the P2V conversion live, whilst it's running or should we wait until the system is not in use.

Also, the server has two partitions, C for system and E for data, sims folder etc. These i think are done separately via the volume copy option, is that right.. .. .?

Any help or tips would be great.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by vikpaw View Post

Can you / are you supposed to do the P2V conversion live, whilst it's running or should we wait until the system is not in use.

Also, the server has two partitions, C for system and E for data, sims folder etc. These i think are done separately via the volume copy option, is that right.. .. .?
    If you are on a budget, ESXi is also free.... and has features missing from hyper-v (memory overcommit, page file consolodation, native nic teaming). LOTS of hardware can run ESXi, even my old Opteron 275 can run it at home (apart from the 3com network card). Look up both the official HCL and whitebox list.

Get the latest vmconverter, upto version 4 as of this week. Then as oggster said you should stop the sql service on P2V then start it back up afterwards. Pretty simple.
    Last edited by Theblacksheep; 15th February 2009 at 11:56 AM.

Thank Post
    we've got esxi too, but trying vmware server first.
    already failed at first hurdle as it wants sysprep files put in a central location, but wont see them.

Thank Post
    already failed at first hurdle as it wants sysprep files put in a central location, but wont see them.
    This is most common when the sysprep files dont exactly match the OS and service pack level.

Thank Post
    but it's the converter package that complaining before it even gets anywhere.

i ripped the files from the CD. maybe the service pack was wrong

a colleague now has esxi running on an old lenovo, but i'm assuming we'll get similar issues on that too if we want to do a P2V conversion

Thank Post
    but it's the converter package that complaining before it even gets anywhere.
    Are you chosing to customise the VM?

I dont think you need sysprep if you dont customise. If you are just testing, keep the settings the same, just dont put it on the network with the old machine.

Thank Post
    if you don't do it at the beginning i thought you have to at the end anyway as the hardware is different so it needs to be configured and the drivers set up.

Thank Post

Smile

Just to let you know i've done a successfully conversion of my Intranet server.

It took a few reboots post conversion and it looked like it had hanged but it ended up working and going through a psuedo OS install, sorting out the hardware.

Chose to install VMWare Tools after it was up and running, and also, joined domain afterwards too, which is what was hanging part of the setup as the network drivers were not loaded.

Anyway, at last it works, and once i've removed all hard coded references to the old server name it works perfectly as a duplicate.

The other option is to leave it and rename it when the original server fails.
    So, next step, try and do the SIMs server.....

Thank Post
    @vikpaw: Is there any reason that you want to P2V the server other than laziness? I prefer to start from scratch if possible so that the years of cr@p aren't carried across.

A SIMS server is relatively easy to set up - Windows, SQL, copy document server files, do the DBAttach business and jobs a good un.

Thank Post
    i'm waiting on hardware. at the moment the test was done on my desktop PC.

clean server (hard + soft) is the way to go, but not til summer probably.

if i can do a soft copy for now i can test dec upgrade out, though i may as well wait for march, but even then, i cannot have downtime on sims as it puts 10 ppl out of work, no registers, no intake of kids (we have high flux!), no cover! . . .

the virtual wont be in production env' for now.

p.s. pm'ed you something.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I agree SIMS is very easy to setup from scratch, we did it here when we virtulised sim's done it in a day and we had to re-build it from backups! (yes our simsserver died when the aircon failed!)

I'm not saying everyone might find it really easy, but when you have a forum of people to help it's fairly straight forward.

I try and avod P2V if i can help it

PM me if you have any questions

James.

Thank Post
    I assume most people are keeping their SQL data on local hard drives on the virtualisation hosts.

Does anyone have their data on an iSCSI SAN? How does it affect performance with SQL Server dragging data across the iSCSI network for every query?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by coolusername View Post
    I assume most people are keeping their SQL data on local hard drives on the virtualisation hosts.

Does anyone have their data on an iSCSI SAN? How does it affect performance with SQL Server dragging data across the iSCSI network for every query?
    Depends on how much RAM you have, how big the database is, if your using standard or express ed. of MSSQL.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast