+ Post New Thread
MIS Systems Thread, Server re-set during SIMS (December) update. in Technical; Anyone ever had their SIMS server restart during an update of SIMS? I was applying the December update, it started ...

Thank Post

Server re-set during SIMS (December) update.

Anyone ever had their SIMS server restart during an update of SIMS? I was applying the December update, it started creating the backup, I looked away whist that ran, I turned back a little while later and the machine was restarting.

DB Version is OK, Software version is OK, Data seems accessable, workstation upgrades run. Nothing obvious in Event Manager and according to the information I got from Capita when I ran a couple of checks there were no problems.

I however don't like random server restarts and I was wondering if anyone had had that happen to them.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    A windows update maybe? Otherwise I'd suspect a hardware issue.

Thank Post
    No updates to apply - I tend to do them manually over the holidays.
    Possibly the hardware though this is the first time it's ever "randomly" re-set itself.

Just seemd a suspicious time to do it.

Thank Post
    It happened to me and it’s very annoying when you only have one server that runs everything and it restarts in the middle of lessons... but that's SIMS for you

Thank Post
    I do not beleive that this is a SIMS issue. I have 60 schools each with 1 server to deliver the network and SIMs and I have never had a problem with rebooting caused by SIMS.

Equally is there a reason why you are doing SIMS upgrades during the day. With scripted use of Solus you can allow any sims upgrades to run overnight when there is nobody in the school

Thank Post
    Have to agree with Mcshammer_dj. Sounds like it crashed during the backup, this is pretty resource heavy, could be your hardware can't cope

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Mcshammer_dj View Post
    I do not beleive that this is a SIMS issue. I have 60 schools each with 1 server to deliver the network and SIMs and I have never had a problem with rebooting caused by SIMS.

Equally is there a reason why you are doing SIMS upgrades during the day. With scripted use of Solus you can allow any sims upgrades to run overnight when there is nobody in the school
    All our SIMS support comes from our LA with instructions to run the upgrades during office hours in case of problems.

Thank Post
    @ Mcshammer_dj - Because I didn't know you could script the Running of Solus. Wouldn't W2K3 Servers tendency to to ask me if I am absolutely definately sure I want to run that exe file when it runs all the upgrade files be a problem?

@ matt40k - Doubt it. It ran the backup I manually created 5 minutes before hand fine. Plus it's a Quad Core XEON with 4Gb Ram and about 65GB of spare disk space. Not betting on a lack or resources.

Might just have to keep an eye on it and run a full disk scan over the half term...

It's just a bit irritating.

Thank Post
    We have the ask for .exe files turn off on the servers. Only my team are able to access the servers.

The advantage of running overnight means that that any issue regarding server use are addressed.

Regarding problems with Upgrades I used to have similar feelings but with Solus 2 we have seen an increased level of stability where the upgrades are concerned.

I still am a bit worried about the way some releases have been pulled returned or even changed but in general we have been pleased with Solus 2 and we are now eagerly awaiting solus 3 which should make our lives even easier

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    How big is your database file?

If its around 4GB then when it runs the backup with dbupgrade it'll be trying to zip it, and there are limits on the .zip format. At that sort of size it becomes very resource intensive and can cause a crash.

Best way around it is to do the manual backup using DBAttach so there's no attempt to compress it, then run dbupgrade with the /nobackup switch.

I don't know if the .zip problem would cause a full restart or not, but its a possibility.

Thank Post
    Currently dbupgrade is using Dynazip which is 32bit only, it's no longer supported as the company has gone bye bye. There is a patch to remove it (uncompressed backups), which will mean more disc space is required and you'll need to keep an eye on this.

I believe a new zipping tool is included in March.

As for the spec of the server. Are you using full SQL? What else is running on the server? How many students do you have? What OS do you have?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by matt40k View Post
    As for the spec of the server. Are you using full SQL? What else is running on the server? How many students do you have? What OS do you have?
    SQL 2005, Win 2K3, 420 students and the only other thing currently on the server is the AV Sfotware.

(Sorry it's brief meeting to get to)

Thank Post
    I would run a memory test - Try: Memtest86+ - Advanced Memory Diagnostic Tool

Thank Post
    Thinking back I remember seeing the server shutting down in a controlled manner so I searched the event log for the day in question and found this. At the time I thought it was normal for a restart when upgrading SIMS.

Event Type: Information
    Event Source: USER32
    Event Category: None
    Event ID: 1074
    Date: 01/12/2008
    Time: 09:29:13
    User: XXXXXX\Administrator
    Computer: GA
    Description:
    The process GLBE92.tmp has initiated the restart of computer GA on behalf of user XXXXXX\Administrator for the following reason: No title for this reason could be found
    Reason Code: 0x0
    Shutdown Type: restart
    Comment:

For more information, see Help and Support Center at Events and Errors Message Center: Basic Search.
    Data:
    0000: 00 00 00 00 ....

Thank Post
    No. SIMS shouldn't restart. Looks more like someone shut it down manually, still someone else might know more.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread