+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
MIS Systems Thread, Roll over of SIM's early in Technical; The Senior Management here are asking me to look at rolling over to the new years timetable before the summer ...
    Thank Post

Roll over of SIM's early

The Senior Management here are asking me to look at rolling over to the new years timetable before the summer so 7 to 8, 8 to 9 etc one week before the summer holiday. So starting next years timetable before the summer holidays.

I would need to roll over SIM's early I was wondering if anyone here has done this and what problems issues they ran into.

Thank Post
    Do you use use Lesson Monitor to do your attendance? I am not sure how this would work with the students promotion already in place.

What is the reason for promotion early?

Thank Post
    No we use PARS for attendance.

The Senior Management feel the last couple of wweks are a waste of time Particularily for year 9 as they have chossen their options but are still attending lessons that they will not be taking, in their new Academic year.

Thank Post
    At the risk of appearing pedantic or unconstructive, for the sake of a week is it worth the risk?

Opt for paper registers with someone tied to a desk inputting it for the week and save yourself the sanity.

Thank Post
    We have done it for 4 years now - it is possible!

We start the new timetable 6 weeks before the summer; this is just a case of changing the timetable in nova-t and transferring it across to Sims.net.

We only promote in the summer when we suppose to promote; but the class groups just roll over so you don't do it twice!!.

Hope that helps!

6. Thanks to kiran from:

Steven_Cleaver (21st January 2009)

Thank Post

Kmount

Completely agree and have confirmed this myself with Senior Management and may go as you said but I can see issues with this for Admin and other issues. I am writing up two options to give to Senior Management stating what needs to be considered as I don't think they have fully thought it through.

Thank Post

Kiran reply

Thanks for that at least I know it is feasible how does this effect registration, and Census data.Are their any issues you have found or problems to look out for.

Thank Post
    Lots of schools start the new year early - it is a way to ensure that the last few weeks of term are productive. Don't use paper registers or your data will be wrong!!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Steven_Cleaver View Post
    Completely agree and have confirmed this myself with Senior Management and may go as you said but I can see issues with this for Admin and other issues. I am writing up two options to give to Senior Management stating what needs to be considered as I don't think they have fully thought it through.
    I'd like to see a list of pros and cons once you've gone through them.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by PhilNeal View Post
    Lots of schools start the new year early - it is a way to ensure that the last few weeks of term are productive. Don't use paper registers or your data will be wrong!!
    I was implying that for the end user it would be simpler, but that the data should still be entered by someone/admin/etc.

We've all had days where due to a SIMS update we've had no sims for the day (we've actually got a banner.. and we issue paper registers and then have them manually inputted.

For 5 days, I'd have originally said it'd have been easier, but if it's as easy as everyone is saying, it's worth a look at least.

Thank Post
    I think its a good idea if its started early - e.g. our new timetable starts 1 week after the new half term i.e. 9 June. It does bring curriculum benefits and students start there examination courses earlier giving an additional time.

You have to realise that its not fully operational until September when new staff join therefore you will have to continue on using staff that are leaving to start the new academic year courses.

I don't think there's any point in starting a week earlier = its simply not worth it!

Thank Post
    Thanks for that at least I know it is feasible how does this effect registration, and Census data.Are their any issues you have found or problems to look out for.
    The answer is that it doesn't! We don't promote until August I think!! Therefore the year 7's who become year 8 in the summer simply stay as Year 7 on Sims.net!! But we like to change the ethos of kids during the summer to say there now in 'Year 8' rather than 7 [if that makes sense ]!

We simply change the timetable therefore when doing census / registration they are still their old year group.

Issues as I pointed out in my earlier post, are that when new staff join they have to timetabled into the sept version.... not the summer one - and you continue to use the old staff that are leaving to continue to teach the summer timetable.

Let me know if you need further help.... its fairly straightforward but you need to get all 'thinking' right before hand - otherwise you get confused staff!!!

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,099 Times in 781 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by kmount View Post

We've all had days where due to a SIMS update we've had no sims for the day (we've actually got a banner.. and we issue paper registers and then have them manually inputted.
    Never been in that situation myself, plan my updates to the endth degree, backup and test first, then roll it out to clients.
    I must be just lucky i suppose.......

Thank Post
    Sorry to resurrect this thread but what's the outcome? I've just been asked by my Headteacher to find a way to roll SIMs data over as well as the timetable - the issue seems to still be the same as the original OP - staff can't access their new teaching groups in Lesson Monitor or .net - is it simply a matter of changing the start date in .net?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Hi WonderWoman,

As per the replies above, about the most you can do is apply a new timetable to the existing year groups. The actual roll over happens 1st September. If the time tableis applied correctly then teachers should see their teaching groups without any problems. We've just done this for the second year, starting gcse's after last half term. Year 9 are still year 9 but hey now have a timetable applied based on their option choices.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast