+ Post New Thread
MIS Systems Thread, Other Telephone numbers in SIMS in Technical; Contact Telephone Type (Amended 16/01/2009) The DCSF have now responded to my email about "Other" as a Telephone Type (Telephone ...
    Thank Post

Other Telephone numbers in SIMS

Contact Telephone Type (Amended 16/01/2009)
    The DCSF have now responded to my email about "Other" as a Telephone Type (Telephone Location) and have informed me that they cannot accept Return Files with "O" as Telephone Type. However, they also tell me that it is a straightforward matter for those uploading to COLLECT to make the change at that point. I doubt if there are many schools that have made use of "Other" as a Telephone Location.

This will almost certainly lead to an amount of extra work for school staff, which was not supposed to be the case. Equally I am told that other MIS suppliers were aware of this and made changes to avaoid this happening

Thank Post
    Quick follow on from this.

Where I mention other MIS supplier I do not mean all. I have found over the weekend on supportnet that several other supplier are also able to allow the "o" code onto the return.

Thank Post
    Didn't COLLECT update this and isn't there a Capita patch (12728) ?

Thank Post
    This is a collect issue as They are stating that the other code fails their validation. This follows early assurances that any contact data would not be subjected to validation.

The patch mentioned was delivered for those schools or LA's who wanted to ensure that the STD code was listed against phone numbers.

Thank Post
    Does anyone know if the telephone type can be customised to add others such as Mother Mobile, Father Mobile, Father work, Mother work, etc?

This would be for SIMS Independant.

Cheers guys!

Tom

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,487 Times in 1,234 Posts
    I don't think so, but you shouldn't need to categories 'mother mobile' just add a 'mobile' number to the mother's record. Each contact can have a work, home, mobile etc.
    There are some caveats in terms of how they are reported on and linked to other systems, but otherwise it works fine. Plus you can mark them as Main or Primary.

Thank Post
    You create a contact for the pupil, define the relationship, mother\father\etc, then add the type - landline, mobile, fax, then add location - home, work

EDIT: Damm you Vipaw for being so fast!
    Last edited by matt40k; 6th November 2013 at 12:54 PM.

Thank Post
    Forgive me, as a non-SIMS user, I didn't know each parent had the ability to have their own numbers like this - which of course makes sense now I read that!

So basically there would be mobile, work, home and other for mother and mobile, work, home and other for father, too?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,487 Times in 1,234 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by matt40k View Post
    You create a contact for the pupil, define the relationship, mother\father\etc, then add the type - landline, mobile, fax, then add location - home, work

EDIT: Damm you Vipaw for being so fast!
    It's not always an advantage - Anyhoo how do you equate 76 mins as fast - you're getting old

Quote Originally Posted by tben2505 View Post
    Forgive me, as a non-SIMS user, I didn't know each parent had the ability to have their own numbers like this - which of course makes sense now I read that!

So basically there would be mobile, work, home and other for mother and mobile, work, home and other for father, too?
    Yes. You really need to get yourself a demo if you're considering upgrading from your 10 year old version. Get down to a local school for a look.
    You can have numbers for the students themselves and then any number of contacts all of whom can have multiple numbers. It doesn't have to be just one mobile either for example, they could have two!

10. Thanks to vikpaw from:

matt40k (6th November 2013)

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread