+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
MIS Systems Thread, SIMS Learning Gateway in Technical; Originally Posted by GrumbleDook Having had a look at TASC's software again recently (unfortunately didn't get a decent chance to ...
    Home: Telford Office: Wolverhampton Work Travel: all over UK!
    Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by GrumbleDook View Post
    Having had a look at TASC's software again recently (unfortunately didn't get a decent chance to catch up with them at BETT) then it could be what you need.

I would also look at other possibilities if you only want 'read' access (ie you just want to present the relevant SIMS information rather than make it two-way) then Twynham College could help too. Richard at SalamanderSoft would be a good person to chat with too.

SLG is the complete package to have read/write access (where possible) to SIMS, but not everyone needs it to start with and you might want to explore your options.

Google search TASC INSIGHT and contact office for a free trial.... TRUE realtime read SIMS. As soon as register taken and saved in SIMS, data available for parents to see - as with behaviour, reporting, notices.... and following other comments on forum, you dont need Sharepoint just an IS - and an IP address. Hosted from school so no worries about external company and Data Protection Act 1996! Nice GUI too

Home: Telford Office: Wolverhampton Work Travel: all over UK!
    Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by alumwell View Post
    Its a load of crap slow and keeps breaking.
    Careful... make sure you say who you are talking about! Gosh! Insight BETA version and not released till we get all our schools testing feedback. Looks like release due Mid Feb

Thank Post

learning gateway and uniservity?

ok be kind to a newbie!!!

if I buy LG then will it link dynamically with Uniservity? what I want is to be able to have 2 way traffic on basic pupil data which Uniservity (CRAP) can do now but will LG let me transfer data from the markbook straight into assessment manager? Me thinks not but I have to find a solution as our LA forced Uniservity onto us and this bit just don;t work and I belive it nver will as Capita won't give them the code... what a surprise.
    any ideas out there to solve this?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,305 Times in 1,088 Posts
    I'm no expert on this, we are just looking at the LG route ourselves.

However, Uniservity is listed as a Capita - Technical Partner with at least read access to the data. So they should surely be working together to solve any issues.

LG definitely lets you access marksheets and enter data live into the SIMS system, so with everything in a sharepoint shell i would imagine you can do what you want.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by alexbear1 View Post

if I buy LG then will it link dynamically with Uniservity? what I want is to be able to have 2 way traffic on basic pupil data which Uniservity (CRAP) can do now but will LG let me transfer data from the markbook straight into assessment manager? Me thinks not but I have to find a solution as our LA forced Uniservity onto us and this bit just don;t work and I belive it nver will as Capita won't give them the code... what a surprise.
    Firstly welcome to this house of madness. Secondly newbies have a habit of asking the most difficult questions and I think the transfer of VLE data to SIMS AM is one of them. Some more questions for you 1) what data do you have in the ClC markbook ? 2) have you already created the marksheets, aspects and templates in AM to accept your clc markbook data ?
    Once the data is in AM then the Learning Gateway can expose it to all and secondly UniServity could choose to embed a clc web part into your learning gateway.

Out of interest what do your authority believe they bought and what code is needed ?

Thank Post

Online parent reporting - www.MyChildAtSchool.Com

www.MyChildAtSchool.com

Started a new thread.
    Last edited by MsFrench; 9th February 2009 at 10:11 PM.

Thank Post
    Hi

The decision was made above my head to go for the full blown SLG. I went for the full MOSS 2007 and am thrilled that we now have the full sharepoint for other uses too. I insisted on a hosted solution for the same reason we host our own website and moodle. The thing keeps going internally so your lessons and access to these systems is a lot more reliable.

I'm not sure if this is the right place to ask this but I am struggling with the external connection via our county firewall. The SLG engineers created our sharepoint in the format http://ourserver:38040/SLG/default aspx for example. Since we need an SSL connection I have obtained a certificate from ipsCA (FREE) and installed it. I had to add an https connection to the SLG website and bound it to port 443 to allow it through the county firewall. Apparently once the end user logs in it drops back to an http connection which means data over the internet is vunerable.

Has anyone out then been through this or is it just me?
    Last edited by Dantech; 13th July 2009 at 11:13 AM. Reason: Spelling typo

Thank Post
    @Dantech
    Just an idea, can you remove HTTP from IIS, just leaving HTTPS. Failing that, ask the LA to only reverse proxy HTTPS traffic. Other then that, no idea.

Quote Originally Posted by alexbear1 View Post

You can rip the sourcecode if you really wanted to, I agree, I doube Capita will release the source code any time soon. However they do provide a really nice business object to read\write to and from SIMS. Uniservity could, if they wanted to, do anything SLG2 can do.

9. Thanks to matt40k from:

Dantech (13th July 2009)

Thank Post
    matt40k - Please can you clarify what you mean by reverse proxy? I thought about removing the http only and this was suggested by Mouchel (who support Lincolnshire). Not sure if this will work or if I will totally kill the SLG. I have logged a support call with SIMS on this and will see what they say.

Thank Post
    Basically your LA prob won't the HTTP port, they setup a reverse proxy, basically incoming traffic is sent via a proxy server rather then going direct, same as normal proxy, just in reverse.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    If you're using SIMS Webparts the pictures will also want to come back via http not https which was very annoying a way round this as suggested is to use an ISA box to publish the sharepoint site however what I would do would be to leave the sharepoint site accepting everything on http and the ISA box making the transition from https (externally) to http (internally) everything in Sharepoint will look as if it's working on port 443 outside but after it's gone through the ISA box its all port 80.

Wes

13. Thanks to wesleyw from:

Dantech (13th July 2009)

Thank Post
    Thank you for the explanation matt40K and wesleyw. That is most helpful. Sharepoint is huge and as usual nobody will pay for training, so I'm learning this as I go along! I do not want to have to install an ISA box but maybe I will have to.

Thank Post
    Hi Everyone

Further to my recent posts you may be interested to know that SIMS will not help me in resolving port addressing issues without paying an additional sum! Which is rich when you consider that without this knowledge the whole of ALG becomes pointless!

Just a warning to others that if, like me, they have never addresses these things before then be prepared for this. If I were to do this again I would insist that the remote access information is sorted before you sign off the contract.

In SIMS favour (and the guy there is very helpful) they have posted me a link to the microsoft site which deals with the issue. Take a look at Plan alternate access mappings (Office SharePoint Server)

Mark

Thank Post
    We strongly recommend that SLG is hosted either by an LA or us because we cannot provide the detailed level of support for SharePoint or routers that is needed if you are hosting it yourself. Hosting it yourself does give you significant advanatges in terms of what you can achieve so I can understand why some schools choose to do so. If we can't resolve a SharePoint issue we have to get assistance from MS and this incurs significant cost.

Now given that Sharepoint hosts our SIMS Learning Gateway, we have invested in quite a bit of expertise, but the product is immensely powerful, and highly configurable, making issues (particularly network issues) very time-consuming to resolve. We therefore would ask that where it is a Sharepoint-specific issue that it is first considered to log a call with the provider who is providing you the specific Sharepoint expertise.

If you have done this and drawn a blank, then please escalate with us, consider speaking either to your account manager. It is most important to us that you are both Live on our software and happy with our software.

Thank Post

Alternatives to SLG?

We use SIMS.net in school and want both remote access for teachers to write into Assessment Manager and parental online reporting. We are looking at SLG but I would like to know what other (reasonably priced) options we have?

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast