+ Post New Thread
MIS Systems Thread, Installing SIMS.net on Windows Server 2008 64bit in Technical; Hi Has anybody got any idea if SIMS.net and FMS work on 2008 64bit. My current setup is windows 2003 ...
    Thank Post

Installing SIMS.net on Windows Server 2008 64bit

Hi

Has anybody got any idea if SIMS.net and FMS work on 2008 64bit. My current setup is windows 2003 R2 32bit but i am looking to upgrade all my servers and i want to upgrade the SIMS server too.

I have been testing the server 2008 64bit setup all the SIMS apps e.g. doc server, manuals,SIMS Applications seam to be working ok and installed without any problems but when i come to restore the database using DBATTACH.exe /RESTOREUI it seams to work but then i get the error message "RegCreateKeyEx() returned error 5, 'Access is denied'
    Configuration option 'show advanced options' changed from 0 to 1. Run the RECONFIGURE statement to install"

If anybody has any ideas how i can fix this i would be most greatful

Regards

Matthew Stevenson

Thank Post
    I may be wrong but I don't think that 64bit is supported for FMS yet??

From Support Net

FMS Installable Release based on the November FMS release (for 64 Bit Server compatibility): This will be made available on request on CD on the 21st January
    Last edited by Mcshammer_dj; 13th January 2009 at 03:00 PM. Reason: Added more info

3. Thanks to Mcshammer_dj from:

Oops_my_bad (27th January 2009)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    SIMS .net doesn't have a problem with 64 bit server 2008, however FMS will not work on a 64 bit operating system currently.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Mcshammer_dj View Post
    I may be wrong but I don't think that 64bit is supported for FMS yet??

From Support Net

FMS Installable Release based on the November FMS release (for 64 Bit Server compatibility): This will be made available on request on CD on the 21st January
    Do you know who I can ask to get this CD or if it can be downloaded.. cant see anything on supportnet??

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,383 Times in 1,145 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Oops_my_bad View Post
    Do you know who I can ask to get this CD or if it can be downloaded.. cant see anything on supportnet??
    surely you can ask your account manager or post on supportnet / log a call. it does say it's available "on request"

Thank Post
    To fix RegCreateKeyEx() returned error 5, 'Access is denied'

Part of the database installation writes registry keys. This is done in the context of the database server, not the user running dbattach.

To resolve give the Sql Server service account permissions to write to the registry. You should be able to remove these once the database is attached.

Richard
    http://www.salamandersoft.co.uk
    http://blog.salamandersoft.co.uk

Thank Post
    I think but am not sure (and there's nobody near me to ask) that FMS will work on a 64bit server because its now SQL Server. The client is a different matter.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mattstevenson2005 View Post
    Hi

Has anybody got any idea if SIMS.net and FMS work on 2008 64bit. My current setup is windows 2003 R2 32bit but i am looking to upgrade all my servers and i want to upgrade the SIMS server too.

I have been testing the server 2008 64bit setup all the SIMS apps e.g. doc server, manuals,SIMS Applications seam to be working ok and installed without any problems but when i come to restore the database using DBATTACH.exe /RESTOREUI it seams to work but then i get the error message "RegCreateKeyEx() returned error 5, 'Access is denied'
    Configuration option 'show advanced options' changed from 0 to 1. Run the RECONFIGURE statement to install"

If anybody has any ideas how i can fix this i would be most greatful

Regards

Matthew Stevenson

Ensure your SQL Server service is not running as a network service, otherwise it won't be able to access the registry.

10. Thanks to scebe427 from:

jinnantonnix (26th February 2009)

Thank Post
    I've given this a go out of curiosity and FMS (client and server) is actually working on 2008 64bit. I did however do it as a full server move. I am trying it with SIMS november release and FMS 6.106.

If anyone's interested I'll put a step-by-step guide on the WIKI, seems as though there's a lack of decent documentation around for this sort of thing anyway

The only unexpected behaviour I've found is on the server, star7 setting point to \program files(x86)\sims\sims.net, however on normal (32bit) workstations this directory obviously does not exist which will give you an error on your workstation, unless there is some way around this?

**EDIT**

It seems the only way around is if you have 32bit FMS clients connecting to a 64bit FMS/SIMS server, you will need to install SIMS in \program files (x86) on your clients (just make the directory). This will allow you to use STAR syncronisation and also receive the auto updates when done on the server before hand
    Last edited by Oops_my_bad; 30th January 2009 at 03:57 PM.

Thank Post
    I'm also looking to do this.

I don't actually run sims on the server. So can I just dump the sims share on the server and install SQL Server 2005 64bit and attach the database to that? The clients are all 32bit.

I want a huge performance increase and really want to avoid less then 3.4GB RAM.

The .ICT team never give me a staight answer and go all fuzzy when I suggested running it in Hyper V. We've always had issues whereby someone runs a report and it locks up the CPU usage to 100%. With Hyper-V you can CAP CPU usage for that virtual machine meaning I could stick it to 90%. People accessing files from a share on the server won't be affected then either.

Thank Post
    If you'd like to make yourself known to me, I will see if there is anything more we can do. Your network should not be brought to its knees running SIMS. If this were a common problem I would know about it!!

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread