+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
MIS Systems Thread, SIMS Mobile 3 - Fire Register in Technical; Now that we have Sims Mobile working, and have a couple of Acess Points in place - our SMT are ...

Thank Post

SIMS Mobile 3 - Fire Register

Now that we have Sims Mobile working, and have a couple of Acess Points in place - our SMT are wondering if they can be used for taking registers during a Fire Drill?

If so - how's it done..

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Slight OT, but how are you getting on with SIMS Mobile?

I've been handed the PDA back in disgust by the PE Teachers as they find the interface unworkable, clunky and just awkward having to Sync the damn thing for offline registration. I have to admit I'm not impressed by the Server side of things either.

As a result, the PE Staff are doing paper registers during the lesson that happens at the local sports centre and doing the entry when they get back to their office.

Pete

Thank Post
    Is this a technical or a legal question?

Thank Post
    Technical - looking to trial it but not sure how best to do it

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Gatt View Post
    Now that we have Sims Mobile working, and have a couple of Acess Points in place - our SMT are wondering if they can be used for taking registers during a Fire Drill?

If so - how's it done..
    Depends upon whether you're talking about sync'ing and taking an "offline" register or whether you want to try and do it online via the wireless. - If so, be cautious in that what if the fire is in your server room?

Thank Post
    Would probably be in offline mode just wondering how it'd be done- cos we line the kids up by year so not sure how the registers would be taken...

Thank Post

Is this any help???

Is this any help???

28-07-2008, 01:55 PM #3
    Bromcom2008

Hi there.. I understand your frustration with mobile registration, as it is a serious issue faced by many schools.

A school that I have been working with in East London reported similar problems as to those you described and we resolved it very neatly. The solution is to have a solution that can work 'off-line working' with wireless (either GPRS, Wi-Fi or both) It needs to be a seamless operation from a P.E Teachers point of view.

The solution that I am referring to enables attendance to be taken remotely using Smart Phones. This is ideal for P.E staff to use on the sports grounds and also for use during school field trips.

Making use of GPRS technology means that registration can be taken anywhere there is mobile phone network - so even abroad. Some schools started using it to take attendance in assembly halls rather using paper! Schools can be sure that they have the latest pupil attendance in realtime at all times.

I'll drop you a PM with more details - otherwise I will be accused of unauthorised promotion!

If there is anyone else with the same problem or if anyone wishes to have further details, please just contact me - I am happy to help.

NB: In case you're wondering - yes, the solution I have works directly with SIMS Attendance and Lesson Monitor software.[/i]

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    SIMS Mobile... hmm!.. never even knew about it

This might be something we need.. how are you getting on with it

sorry to jump off topic

Thank Post
    It's rubbish if you want my honest opinion.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by EduTech View Post
    SIMS Mobile... hmm!.. never even knew about it

This might be something we need.. how are you getting on with it

sorry to jump off topic
    SIMS Mobile = Useless. As I said earlier, very clunky interface and has been given back to me by PE Staff as unworkable.

Looks like we're going to drop it completely. I need to look at other solutions.

Pete

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by FragglePete View Post
    SIMS Mobile = Useless. As I said earlier, very clunky interface and has been given back to me by PE Staff as unworkable.

Looks like we're going to drop it completely. I need to look at other solutions.

Pete
    Pete,
    I recall you were also looking at Bromcom's one. Did you ever got to look at it?

If what Bromcom2008 says stands - then it may the answer for PE Teacher registration.

You seem to be leading this topic and hence your feedback will be most welcome.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Tiger View Post
    Pete,
    I recall you were also looking at Bromcom's one. Did you ever got to look at it?

If what Bromcom2008 says stands - then it may the answer for PE Teacher registration.

You seem to be leading this topic and hence your feedback will be most welcome.
    We got some intial pricing, and to be honest the cost is just way too much.

I think we're just throwing money & IT at a problem for the sake of it. PE Teachers do the register on their return to the School after being at the local sports centre.

WiFi access reaches into the changing rooms, so Teachers are using their laptops with SIMS on to register with no problems.

One solution I guess would be to get a VPN connection to the local sports centre to our network over a ADSL Line. But again, it's just throwing a complicated setup and lots of cost at what really is a small problem.

Oh well, maybe BETT will throw something up.

Pete

Thank Post

Thumbs up M-Register Solution for Registration off site

I have been reading your threads and felt the need to explain a bit more about Bromcom's Solution for the registration of pupils by P.E. Staff or for the purpose of offsite learning i.e. Leisure centre.

It seems you are all looking for a simple solution to allow P.E. Teachers to take a register without having to be confined to working on a PC or laptop in an office away from the class. You may also want to be able to mark attendance for students who are on a school trip and without network access to your school network this would be imposable for most companies to give you the tools to provide REAL TIME attendance data to your MIS system.
    This is where Bromcom's M-Register comes into its own by giving schools and colleges the ability to record REAL TIME attendance data to their MIS System whether it be Bromcom, Sims.Net or others. Firstly teachers would have a Smart Phone or PDA device which has a registration Product installed (some of you may know Winfolder) and then the teacher logs in with their credentials and calls up the days timetable. By simply clicking on a Register / Period they can download the class register and send it back to the MIS System.
    We can do this by a simple interface which allows a Smart Phone or PDA device with GPRS to retrieve a register for marking. The teacher would then mark the register and return it via the same way it was delivered, all over a mobile phone network. Of course if you have a wireless 802 device, you can have the added benefit of duel connection back to your MIS system, in school via your wireless network and GPRS when outside your school network.

M-Register software is the only solution that allows you to send registration data via a Smartphone / PDA anywhere in the world with a mobile phone signal REAL TIME! You are not confined to having to remember to input a register at the end of a lesson or worry about fire drill data being up to date as M-Register provides REAL TIME communication between your MIS System and the teacher.

If you want any further information please see the Bromcom Website or come and see us at BETT 09 for a live demonstartion (Stand E20)

Please feel free to ask any questions and I will reply as quickly as I can ...
    Thanks

Chris

Thank Post
    you could always stay with SIMS and use terminal server.

Add a couple of 3g cards for off site reg

Thank Post
    Thanks for your input Mcshammer_dj,
    It is interesting that you make this comment as I have come across many local authorities who will not allow terminal services access to school servers from outside its own WAN. Also you have the added cost of supplying 3G Data cards and a bulky laptop for the teacher to use.
    Would you not agree that a Mobile phone is far a better solution?

I also take the direction that giving access to Terminal services from outside your school, say down the leisure centre would mean having allot of personal data being accessed outside your secure network environment.

If a teacher leaves a laptop connected to a Terminal services session whilst logged in to sims.net, that poses a big security risk and letís say this laptop got stolen from the leisure centre changing rooms. That person who has now got it has access to all the student records for addresses, SEN, Phone Numbers amongst other personal information.
    Also you have to remember that it would take a considerable amount of time to logon to the laptop, start up the 3g Data Service, login to the terminal server and them into sims.net. You have to do all this even before you have taken a register, can you imagine a teacher wanting to do that in front of a waiting class? What a waste of time.

Why take that risk, after all teachers just want to be able to take a register and nothing else. I still say that M-Register is the most versatile, secure and user friendly software on the market. Whatís more it can download a register in less than 20 secs!

Thanks

Chris

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast