+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
MIS Systems Thread, SIMS Mobile 3 - Fire Register in Technical; I am nor disagreeing with the virtues on M-register. I am just looking at alternatives....
    Thank Post
    I am nor disagreeing with the virtues on M-register. I am just looking at alternatives.

Thank Post
    Chris Bromcom

Very costly in our opinion when we looked at Bromcom's solution. I presume that the school would need the full Bromcom attendance core system as well to implement Bromcom mobile registers? Is this correct?
    We moved over from Bromcom to SIMS for registration last year after a history of problems with a very poor 2-way interface to our SIMS .NET, slow reports etc. (and don't even mention MarkBook! ) - and we would not be looking to change again.

Will be looking at SIMS Mobile solution for our PE staff, we'll make the decision when we have visited BETT and had a look at the SIMS Mobile app.

Thank Post
    Hi SchoolITLackey,
    Thanks for your recent post about Mobile registration.
    First of all it seems there is some confusion about the M-Register Product, M-Register can be used as a stand alone solution which can interact with Sims.net as well as other MIS supplies out there and has been very successful in many schools around the UK.
    Bromcom is a Technical partner with Capita who supply sims.net; therefore we have the knowledge and expertise to read/write data to the Sims.net database via our 3rd part agreement.
    I am surprised that you think M-Register is a costly solution as you do not need to take out the full Bromcom Package as M-Register can be used on its own; along side your current MIS provider.
    If you think of the cost for 3G Data cards, Laptops, terminal services licensing. it equates to allot of money and not very cost effective, also the amount of time it would take to logon would mean valuable teaching time disappearing. Whereas M-Register is just the cost of software and Mobile phone.
    In my option far more secure as teachers can only access the register they call, not other information about students which could get into the wrong hands.
    You cannot put a price on Data Security as it should be a schools No.1 priority. You have said you will be looking around during BETT 09, please come along to the Bromcom Stand where we will be happy to show you all the benefitsí it can bring to you school.

Thank Post
    Chris

Can you direct me to the information on M-register as when I look at your site the link does not appear to work

Thank Post
    Chris
    Thanks for your reply, very interesting.

(As above - uanble to access mobiel register link via your company website)

So, if I understand your reply, Bromcom's mobile register will talk directly to the SIMS database in real-time, without the need for the Bromcom database / attendance system etc.
    Would any Bromcom software have to be installed on our school network at all?
    So, if we were interested, we would just purchase the Bromcom mobile app software (we would supply our own phones), any platform restrictions, e.g. Windows Mobile 5 / 6?
    Last edited by SchoolITLackey; 22nd December 2008 at 11:18 AM.

Thank Post
    Hi Mcshammer_dj,
    I have had a look round and see you and others are right in reporting that our link is broken. donít worry I have reported this to our webmaster and they are looking into the problem (Iv been told it should be working again tomorrow morning) but in the meantime please use the link below which will give you what you was hopping from the Bromcom website.

http://www.bromcom.com/case_study/pd...n%20Manor).pdf

SchoolITLackey,
    In reply to your question about direct read/write into the sims.net database, we would need to install a small piece of software on a gateway computer (an office PC but a dedicated machine would be better) which will give use the ability to interact via the 3rd party agreement with Capita. Yes any data changes would be REAL TIME without the need to have the Bromcom Attendance solution installed.
    The only platform restrictions are Windows Mobile 5 / 6 on a Smartphone device, which your school / college can provide from any Mobile phone operator.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,255 Times in 786 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by chris-bromcom View Post
    Thanks for your input Mcshammer_dj,
    It is interesting that you make this comment as I have come across many local authorities who will not allow terminal services access to school servers from outside its own WAN. Also you have the added cost of supplying 3G Data cards and a bulky laptop for the teacher to use.
    Would you not agree that a Mobile phone is far a better solution?
    Windows mobile 5/6 has a remote desktop client you can download to them.

Also your comments about a laptops security have the same impact on a mobile.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Domino View Post
    Windows mobile 5/6 has a remote desktop client you can download to them.

Also your comments about a laptops security have the same impact on a mobile.
    Hi thanks for your reply,
    You make a very valid point but now Windows Mobile 6 does not include Remote Desktop and think of the data Costs for that type of setup. Also can you imagine the size of the window... it would be impractical for teacher to use and have said previously the data costs would be high for such a solution you put forward.
    M-Register uses a Pocket PDA / Smart phone software for registration which has been designed to fit nicely on a PDA / Mobile Phone Screen.
    With regards to data security, smart phones carry allot less information about student data than a laptop connected with a gprs data card to your school network. M-Register only shows registration details i.e. Students name only, compared to being logged into your MIS system on a laptop which can show address, other personal sensitive information.
    Some of you have enquired about costs so feel free to email me your details and ill arrange for some price guides to be sent your way.

Thanks

Chris

Chris.nixon@bromcom.com
    Last edited by chris-bromcom; 22nd December 2008 at 04:22 PM.

Thank Post
    IIRC, our school tried Bromcom (before I started) and, from what i've been told, it wasn't a pleasant experience.. Not sure when it was or what the whole story was but no-one was happy with it.. We had all the old protables and still have various transmitters around the school..

So far our Head of PE has tried SIMS Mobile and is finding it very useful, when I return he want;s me to trial it with another of his PE staff..

I think, for now, the Fire Register Idea will need to wait...

Thank Post
    Gatt,
    Thanks for your input... it is interesting that you say your school was using Bromcom with the Grey Transmitters - Did you know that technology is over 15 years old? Thinks have moved on and more and more schools use our Winfolder product for registration in and out of the school.

I have done some research about sims.net mobile but as far as I can see this does not give you the ability to call up registers in REAL TIME from outside your school network which is the point we are trying to emphasize about Fire Register information being up to date. How would a PE Teacher based at a leisure centre all afternoon be able to mark attendance and have it sent back real time? Sims.Net Mobile 3? No..... this is a quote from the Capita Website which states
    "SIMS Mobile Registration is an exciting new software option which gives you the freedom to take attendance electronically from anywhere in or around your school using a Pocket PC."...
    Note you are confined to anywhere in or around your school..... Whereas M-Register is truly mobile and teacher friendly solution for REAL TIME communication anywhere in the world...

I have been told the M-Register Link on the Bromcom.com Website is working now...

Thanks

Chris
    Last edited by chris-bromcom; 24th December 2008 at 07:47 AM.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,255 Times in 786 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by chris-bromcom View Post
    Gatt,
    which is the point we are trying to ethersize about Fire Register information being up to date.
    define:ethersize - Google Search

....?

12. Thanks to Domino from:

chris-bromcom (23rd December 2008)

Thank Post
    Sorry I meant emphasize... Well spotted

Thank Post
    Hi Chris,

I regularly use the full SIMS .net suite, through the 3G card. I have to say that the speed of registering is just as fast as using SIMS .net in school.

For our teachers, it is very important to have one simple system - rather than several - and so we have taken the strategic decision to use SIMS .net throughout our school, rather than have several different software solutions for the same thing. Registering offsite, in the sports hall, etc is carried out with the same user interface as in the classroom.

It works well for us - with no technical issues of speed etc.

However, in terms of data security - we are an Independent School - and therefore, access to student and teacher data from home/off-site is not regulated by the LA. It is for us, as a school, to ensure proper data security measures are in place. They are in place - and I am happy for our staff to use SIMS .net at home - with exactly the same user interface as they would use at school.

I would imagine that schools that use SIMS Attendance, will want to extend this solution - rather than replace it. That is what we have done - giving no training issues (or additional costs!).

Toby

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12