+ Post New Thread
MIS Systems Thread, ePortal + LDAP in Technical; Hi All, I'm new to this forum but, not new to IT but i like the great information on this ...

Thank Post

ePortal + LDAP

Hi All,
    I'm new to this forum but, not new to IT
    but i like the great information on this forum very hand,y, however have a quick question
    We have a Serco Facility system, and it has a web front-end ePortal, however we are setting up AD controller and will have a LDAP system in place to allow accounts to sync authentification, with also a Single-login for google apps.
    However can ePortal support LDAP? the system seams kinda vague and passwords are stored in DB as clear texts!

Thank Post
    There is a single sign on facility for eportal/Active Directory... i believe its covered in the ePortal book you can get from Serco

Thank Post
    It can, but not having our installation to hand I don't remember exactly how. But basically every account has a normal user and password, but also LDAP association, and you tell it to prefer one method over the other.

Thank Post
    I'm not certain if it is now, but the LDAP authentication in E-Portal used to be an add-on that you had to purchase

Thank Post
    Hi all,

LDAP is an addon which can be purchased.
    The passwords are displayed as clear text to the users who have the correct rights in Admin, but are encrypted in the database, with the usernames, and so just openning up the database table will not show you the passwords. You must first log into Admin with the correct user rights.

Michael Sanderson
    Technical Engineer
    Serco Learning

TYO

Thank Post
    we decided not to use LDAP. we use single sign on for other apps but agreed a seperate user name and password for security.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by michael2k6 View Post
    Hi all,

LDAP is an addon which can be purchased.
    The passwords are displayed as clear text to the users who have the correct rights in Admin, but are encrypted in the database, with the usernames, and so just openning up the database table will not show you the passwords. You must first log into Admin with the correct user rights.

Michael Sanderson
    Technical Engineer
    Serco Learning
    Thanks for your info, is this an option in the Irish release of ePortal, + can multiple schools exist on one deployment of eportal and Facility Manager? or is it just a matter of a separate install

Thanks in Advance
    Darragh

Thank Post
    Hi there,

I believe so, but i'm affraid you'd have to check with support.
    It is usually configured so that each school has its own deployment of the MIS on site. This will mean that you will need a server to host SQL, ePortal and Facility.
    If you want to centrally host the MIS system from one location you can, but you will need to be on a WAN to the schools or use a solution such as VPN. In this case, you will need a server of a much higher spec than normal and it will be a little more awkward to install, configure and update. But is indeed possible.
    For example, the only time it has happenned successfuly to my knowledge is when an Local Authority supporting all of the schools' infrastructure have hosted centrally (say 50 schools across 6 servers or high spec) which means they can keep better controll of the MIS system than if it were on site. They have high speed WAN out to each school.
    A VPN or Citrix solution is possible over the net but will be much slower and depending on connection speed might not be feasible. Let me know if you need any more detail or i've misunderstood the question.

Thank Post
    I've no problem with server specs, trying to utilize the deployment we have as much as possible, the two schools will eventually merge, but for now, i'm setting up a fibre trunk between them, have to wait on the ground work to finish

This maybe a bit off topic, but has the irish release of ePortal been tested on Firefox 3?

Thank Post
    Oh, ok i see. Merging the databases will be the most difficult bit as obviously you cant just merge them due to primary keys etc.

I'm affraid to say due to the lack of involvement i have with the Irish software i can't be certain. However, after a recent conversation with a colleague about a school having an issue with firefox which was resolved over here when we started supporting firefox i'd say not. Though the issue could of had a different cause.
    I would imagine it will be in the future as the software develops.
    Again, the only way you can be sure would be to check with support.

In terms of when these databases merge it will either be incredibly simple or incredibly difficult depending on what data you store and how much of it you need to keep (presumably all of it?). I'm sure that support / implementation (who ever is relevant in your case) will be able to advise you further though.
    If there is a fibre trunk between the two, and you have a high spec server, put them both on the same machine is ok, if you have spare machines lying around, keep them seperate, it will be easier to configure, support and update, and will not have any bearing on merging the two databases when the schools merge.

Thank Post
    Ok cool, good to know then, As from a system admin point of view i can do this, but the politics what crazy things like sub netting firewall policy, separate server installed (hardware)
    I just want to setup two vm's of each install, have two domains in the AD controller, utilize the hardware as much because of budget, and make it as redundant as possible.

Well as long as i got on to a good start it will help,
    I have to say the web interface is quite old and buggy, not really a fan of it, as i try to encourage the use of Firefox and Sea Monkey on the Citrix terminals, i've had to create a spacial shortcut just to load IE when someone points to ePortal.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread