+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
MIS Systems Thread, sims learning gateway ad takeover? in Technical; I'm aware of that, but my point was more that people regularly use multiple logins for different systems....

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I'm aware of that, but my point was more that people regularly use multiple logins for different systems.

Thank Post
    My worry with this like the rest is that it smacks of BSF. Luckily our AD doesn't attach to SIMS (the SIMS manager wanted it her own way so I din't feel like arguing), but what happens if the LEA's server gets compromised? We all know how good the public bodies are at looking atfer info.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,308 Times in 1,784 Posts
    Blog Entries
    This is how Somerset County Council have done it:

The LEA has AD servers, which are provisioned from your SIMS data.
    Our staff already have an LEA AD account.
    The 2 accounts created can be consolidated (ie. the existing LEA AD account takes over the role of the SIMS provisioned account), leaving only one username.
    The school maintains its AD system separately.

Now, this means that staff only need to have one AD account (which for us is used for various SCC and SouthWest One provided services), pupils will have one account and parents will have one account for the service. Your in school AD stuff stays separate. It does, of course, mean that pupils will need to remember their 2 different usernames.

I have enquired into ADFS with our SLG bods, which could solve this issue, but it is just an idea.

Thank Post
    We have it installed here onsite self hosted, it works with AD very well. Just do not expect a speedy response if you need support, as its really bad.

It does adjust the schema.

With the student accounts you can consolidate their sims login with there network login, so it all links in.

It all works well, just a shame its so over priced.

Thank Post
    We have it locally installed here as well.

Student and Staff accounts are consolidated so it silently logs them in when they are logged onto the domain.

Parents are to be provided with their own username / password for the launch in September, which have been created on our AD. This links the username provided with their sons / daughters.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    This is also falls in line with a project called Merlin on the SWGfl.

I idea of Merlin being one login does all. Using Shiboleth (sp?) to authenticate against all the different systems a user will need access to.

The example given that if a parent has a three children at two different Schools they should be able login once through the Merlin portal which will then authenticate them against the MIS system at two different locations. The same for students who may have access to the School VLE and a College VLE and resources. Again, Merlin authenticates them and they get automatic access whereever they go.

We're involved in the Pilot at the moment, but at the moment it's only the Portal that's active.

When asking the technical questions about how it all ties in with network accounts, etc it was mentioned that the MIS would be the system that generate the network accounts, etc. So I guess this all ties in with that.

Pete

Thank Post
    Consolidation means that all your users can access SIMS online using their 'normal' network username and password. We have been running it since it was made available - some teething issues but it does work. At least it makes transfer from your learning platform to the SIMS data and vice versa seamless.

Thank Post
    we have had integrated AD happen at some of our local schools here, a high school and its family of feeder schools had there AD integrated by the LEA service provider.

they said that from a support aspect nothing would change and that third party support would still get the required access to maintain and configure the individual networks.

but it did...... it took weeks to get a logon account (administrator status gone) and then when that happened you still couldnt do anything on the networks.

there were lots of promises and nearly all of them were broken, it seems like they just wanted total control, they even offered free technical support to try and Persuade the primary schools to offload the third party support.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12