+ Post New Thread
MIS Systems Thread, Parental access to student data in Technical; I am looking into providing online access to pupil data for parents. We are using SIMS.net so I have been ...

Thank Post

Parental access to student data

I am looking into providing online access to pupil data for parents. We are using SIMS.net so I have been looking at the SIMS webparts and I am sure this solution would work but there this a large cost to this. We are also using PARS for the collection of some pupil data and I beleave they are releasing a system that would work, but I am having difficulty getting any sort of information like cost and system requiements for this.

Anyone using any other solutions out there that are worth a look at?

Thanks

Andy

Thank Post
    Hi,

In our school we have been working on an in-house system to provide exactly this. We intend to run a trial with some interested schools in January. The software will be released under an open source / GPL style license with non-extortionate fees for support from our department. PM me for details of our trial launch date / event if you're interested and I'll let you know as soon as it's arranged.

Hello
    :-Dave

Thank Post
    As you will be exposing children's data to the Internet be sure that any solution you put in place has been pen tested. Approx £10K a go!

Thank Post
    We'll ignore that Capita's SLG2 isn't fully compliant with Becta recommended security. (Two type authentication)

Thank Post
    Becta has only just recommended this for teacher access only. There is nothing in our design that prevents this from being implemented and we are looking at options that can be deployed.

Thank Post
    I would argue the fact it wasn't orginally planned. It's not exactly a new type of attack that has prompted this. Becta has taken advice from a number of security experts.

I would hoped Capita would have done this in a more proactive way then waiting for it to be "forced" apon them.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,860 Times in 1,154 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Becta and the group contracted to work on data protection guidance have spoken with a number of companies, including Capita and other MIS providers, about the new guidance.

It would be a tad harsh to get expect these companies to roll out the changes overnight and I think we will see the changes happening over the coming year (remember the amount of time it takes to change development plans in coding projects).

Also remember that as much as what we get is driven by Becta guidance on the letter of the law, we also have to consider the needs as stated by schools.

If more schools (and LAs) say that they want two-level authentication for IL3 and higher data then it will be put in. Also remember that when we are talking about things like MIS web-parts you are really talking about what your VLE / Learning Platform provider and how *they* do authentication rather than the MIS provider. However it would be nice if the MIS provider did put some pressure on the platform provider to sort their act out.

Personal opinion ...

Thank Post
    Surely adding a pin then asking for a random character isn't too hard. HSBC is running on Vista\Windows 2008 and they've been doing it for a long while. I fail to see how it's purely done to Microsoft. Only using Microsoft security is foolish. Otherwise when Microsoft has a security hole everyone will be rushing to upgrade (not that you shouldn't anyway)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Adding a pin then asking for a random character isn't two-factor authentication though, its essentially no different to a password.

Two-factor authentication would be based on two of the three security factors, the three being something you know (password), something you have (smartcard) and something you are (biometrics).

Requiring biometrics to be installed on all PCs that teachers might use to log in could be a little difficult, so it'll probably end up being smartcard authentication. That's my guess anyway.

Thank Post

Thank Post
    I quite like the passfaces idea...works too! I just logged onto the test site having not used it for 6 months or so and can still remember the required faces!

Welcome to Passfaces

Home: Telford Office: Wolverhampton Work Travel: all over UK!
    Thank Post

Parental Access

TRUE Realtime Read SIMS data - google search 'TASC Insight' Have worked with lots of schools and discussed requirements with BECTA and other authorities. All 2010 requirements covered I love that smilie .......

Home: Telford Office: Wolverhampton Work Travel: all over UK!
    Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jenny_urey View Post
    TRUE Realtime Read SIMS data - google search 'TASC Insight' Have worked with lots of schools and discussed requirements with BECTA and other authorities. All 2010 requirements covered I love that smilie .......
    ....login secure - includes pin code

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread