+ Post New Thread
MIS Systems Thread, Help - Sims problem 'reason: 6' in Technical; Help, We are currently without a technician (interviewing Monday). I am an ICT teacher at a Junior School with a ...

Thank Post

Help - Sims problem 'reason: 6'

Help,

We are currently without a technician (interviewing Monday). I am an ICT teacher at a Junior School with a fair bit of server (MS and Linux) experience.

I have done sims updates many times before as we seem to go through technicians quickly. Anyway i downloaded the Nov update today and was in the process of installing when the upgrade stopped with some warning (sorry did not make a note). Anyway I cannot now log in to sims or solus and get reason:6 and the system does not let me in.

On the capita website http://support.capitaes.co.uk/websup...from=HotTopics

It tells me to detach and then re-attach the database. http://support.capitaes.co.uk/websup...spx?KB=KB23423

I would like some help on how to do this please. I can get DBAttatch up and connect using the SA log in. The part in the second link I am most stuck on is in brackets and upper case on the second link.

Anyone offer any help with this please?

Regards,

Matthew

Thank Post
    Ah, the infamous reason 6 Good luck!

Thank Post
    So many questions!

Why do you lose technicians so quickly, should this be addressed? A happy technician will normally take some shifting!

If you can use Solus, you should have Capita/LEA support, why are they not helping?

If you don't have maintenance for a core system, why not?

Thank Post

Reason: 6

I guess it feels like we go through technicians quickly (4 in 8 years).

In reality three of the technicians secured promotions elsewhere and were sad to leave and one retired. I think we are a good employer but being a junior with 1 tech position cannot offer much progression.

As we are a Foundation school we do not buy in to LA support and have up to now not found this to be a major issue.

If no-one can offer any thoughts I will contact a local secondary with whom I have some good contacts with and see if any of their techs wants a bit of overtime. They don't usually turn me down!

Regards,

Matthew

Thank Post
    Ok, in dbattach, login with the sa account and in the detach a database section select the database called sims and also tick the box 'do not make backups' then click the detach button.
    Once this has done, you need to use the attach databse section. In the database name type sims and click on the box next to attach file with the three dots in it. It should be in the databse directory alreadt and you should see a file called sims.mdf and then click on open. If it is not in the data directory you need to find a folder called SIMS2005 and then go into MSSQGL.1, MSSQL and then data.
    Once you;ve found the database, click on attach. Once you done this try running SIMS again. If SIMS still fails you'll need to restore the database from the databse backup made before you ran the upgrade, which you'll need some help with. If you want PM me and I'll guide you through it.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Ah the reason 6...

Ok yes try what teejay said first, i dnt see no reason why that wont work..

If u have any problems, feel free to PM me

James.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread