+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
MIS Systems Thread, SIMS + SQL 2005? in Technical; Considering that Ramesys don't supply pressed Microsoft media any more, that has to be complete crap. For at least the ...
    Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Re: SIMS + SQL 2005?

Considering that Ramesys don't supply pressed Microsoft media any more, that has to be complete crap. For at least the past year they've just been supplying burnt CDs with Microsoft software on. I'd get back onto them and get the SQL 2000 media if I were you.

Thank Post

The Capita position is that we will ensure that the SIMS 2007 August Main Release will work on both SQL 2000 and SQL 2005 (and correspondingly MSDE & SQL Express)

We will also ensure that any fixes that are related to the September School Census (or DENI in Northern Ireland) are coded to work on both platforms.

Subsequent releases (from the SIMS 2007 September Update - planned for 15th September 2007), will be tested and developed on SQL 2005 only.

For all installations before August 2007, we will support SQL 2000 - and therefore, in the case above, I suggest that you request the SQL 2000 media.

Regards,

Toby Belfield
    Capita

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by Norphy
    Considering that Ramesys don't supply pressed Microsoft media any more, that has to be complete crap. For at least the past year they've just been supplying burnt CDs with Microsoft software on. I'd get back onto them and get the SQL 2000 media if I were you.
    They did send me the genuine SQL 2005 media. Don't know if it's because I added it to our MS Agreement though.

HBJB

Thank Post

I've read the paper work today from our local LEA support team which states the same as above. September onwards needs to be on 2005 SQL. I also read that we need to make sure that all work stations have Net Framework 2.0 as a minimum but 3.0 is recommended.

Also something about installing the workstation software but did not read this far down the info. I'll guess I'll worry about it in early September.

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by Kyle
    I've read the paper work today from our local LEA support team which states the same as above. September onwards needs to be on 2005 SQL. I also read that we need to make sure that all work stations have Net Framework 2.0 as a minimum but 3.0 is recommended.

Also something about installing the workstation software but did not read this far down the info. I'll guess I'll worry about it in early September.
    I ask out LEA about this a few weeks ago and as of yet have had no reply.

Its SMBC if anyone else knows what they are doing.

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by Kyle

I ask out LEA about this a few weeks ago and as of yet have had no reply.

Its SMBC if anyone else knows what they are doing.

Thank Post

.Net framework 3 is not recommended yet. I heard on the grapevine that a few schools have reported issues which were supposedly caused by FW3. The official blurb is to stick to FW2 for the time being. That may be a different story come september but we shall have to wait and see.

As toby said, you're much better off with SQL 2000 or msde at the present time otherwise you will not be supported by Capita should anything catastrophic happen. I have been running my test server on 2005 Express and had no problems as yet but capita are not approving this as 'no testing has been performed on SQL 2005 prior to the august release'.

There is also a mention that a workstation 'clean' is required which, as far as i understand, is wiping the old connection protocols etc from each machine. The initial plan is that a script will be produced closer to the time. Whether this will be launched by SIMSLOAD is another question.

Thank Post

A file has been produced by SIMS this week that installs .net 2 and .net 3 and also does the cleaning up of old sims installations. Have run it on a couple of workstations with no discernible ill effects (so far!)

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12