+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
MIS Systems Thread, November Update 2008 in Technical; So has anyone installed Nov v2 yet? Any issues?...
    zag
    Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    So has anyone installed Nov v2 yet? Any issues?

Thank Post
    Phil Neil should offer a bloody apology and good reason every time this happens.

I DELAYED UNTIL LAST NIGHT to move to November, watching the forum looking for the usual its broke post, even though I was getting pressured for it as it’s a required update for us.

We have to download the ISO and apply from CD, why couldn’t they have given me the download link for MAIN2 when I called for the URL YESTERDAY, or at the very least told me to hold on for a day or 2.

I have both Technicians going round the school and manually upgrading the workstations, that don’t upgrade themselves, even though simsperms has been run on all of them AND sims is launched in the correct way.

Now I have to do another upgrade again tonight and the techs will have the same job to do again tomorrow as my Sims manager is telling me it’s broken our rewards system and other things.

It’s bloody August all over again, you truly are amateurs Capita.

Thank Post
    I would be looking at getting your SIMS support team to come out and have a look.

You should be downloading it via SOLUS, which you can automate and if clients aren't updating I would get that looked at. I would guess if you've been installing manually from a CD your SIMS setups path in your sims.ini would be incorrect. I would be suprised if it took any good SIMS team more then a day to fix all your "bugs".

If I am correct and your setups path is incorrect let me know and I can provide a script to fix this.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ittech View Post
    So has anyone installed Nov v2 yet? Any issues?
    Not me, I'm going to hold out for v3 :-)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by NickJones View Post
    Not quite true. Nov 08 v2 is needed by those secondary schools who have to do school census.
    The content was if you've applied the Nov '08 release, you'll need to do v.2, really, if your a secondary school. I don't know many schools that don't need to do the school census. After all, the government and such use the Census return to determine funding as well as 3rd party who use the Census to collect information.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by matt40k View Post
    The content was if you've applied the Nov '08 release, you'll need to do v.2, really, if your a secondary school.
    Ah, I see what you meant.

I don't know many schools that don't need to do the school census.
    2000+ independent schools.

Thank Post
    Compared to the 22,000 that do... still amazed they don't have to submit it to collect. Still I suppose they have there own method.

Thank Post
    You should be downloading it via SOLUS, which you can automate and if clients aren't updating I would get that looked at.
    Solus doesn’t work for us behind ICT solutions (last time i checked). Last time we tried getting it sorted, Capita said it’s not our problem as ICT Solution was using multiple proxies. ICT Solutions said it’s not our problem it’s bad coding by Capita, both were aware of the problem, no one wanted to take ownership of it; ergo CD Updates.

I would guess if you've been installing manually from a CD your SIMS setups path in your sims.ini would be incorrect.
    We are updating the server from CD using solus, not the clients.

The problem is not consistent, local connect.ini on a client that upgrades and one that doesn’t are both the same, a redirect to the sims network share.

Thanks
    Last edited by ChrisP; 18th November 2008 at 12:00 PM.

Thank Post
    @ChrisP

On a workstation (with the error), go start, run, type sims.ini hit enter
    Note the setupspath.

You SIMS server appears to be missing an SQL instance name, which may cause issues (DocStorage mainly). Tho it does "work".

SOLUS is a HTTP service. If your downloading direct from Capita, I would ask your LEA (or such) to setup a mirror. Perhaps looking at using HTTPS which would prevent dig. sign failures due to the proxies caching on top of the no-cache and limiting the ips etc.

I would recommend creating a no-cache rule on the cache boxes for SOLUS.

PS: SIMS support I mean Capita\LEA\such.

zag
    Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisP View Post
    I have both Technicians going round the school and manually upgrading the workstations, that donít upgrade themselves, even though simsperms has been run on all of them AND sims is launched in the correct way.
    Just add your teachers and admin AD OU's to the local power user group and Sims should upgrade itself no problem forever.

You really should not need to spend technician time installing the updates manually.

Oh and as mentioned previously, its always best to wait a week or 2 after a capita release for them to find all the bugs and re-issue the release Its hardly the first time this has happened.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ittech View Post
    Oh and as mentioned previously, its always best to wait a week or 2 after a capita release for them to find all the bugs and re-issue the release Its hardly the first time this has happened.
    I'm sure we don't know what you mean

zag
    Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Installed November Update 2 today all seemed to go well except for the odd permissions error on client machines.

The server update went smoothly and was pretty quick for a change.

Thank Post
    Updated our test system Monday and it seemed OK. How much of it CAN you exercise?

Live update last night went OK.

It was more of a rush job than I would like as our exams officer could not print exams cover and this one fixes it. And it did too

Thank Post
    I had planned to do the upgrade on Tuesday afternoon, but after a rush of blood to the head I decided for the first time to do it remotely from home (you don't get the problem of trying to get all the teachers off the system!).

So on Monday evening I started, luckily the V2 package was there so I ran that. It seems to have gone without too much trouble - just 4 or 5 clients didn't upgrade properly so I had to re-install.

Thank Post
    Oh how we all miss the button where we could just kick everyone off the database while we do the SIMS upgrades!

I've aways state SIMS will be offline from 4pm on the day of the upgrade. Stop the MSSQL service, backed up, disconnected the network cable, started the service, run the upgrade then plugged the cable back in. You do ofcourse need to send a lot of reminders so when they moan about losting data, you can say, well don't say i didn't warn you, also you need to have it re-downloaded.

Remember, check any machine that doesn't auto update at next logon. There is no reason why it should happen. An extra few hours of investigate now saves you having to keep going back and visiting each sims upgrade... specially if they are annoying people!

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast