+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
MIS Systems Thread, Deployment of SIMs in Technical; My batch file is run from GPO and seems to work. I run all the app installs seperately as documented ...
    Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Re: Deployment of SIMs

My batch file is run from GPO and seems to work.

I run all the app installs seperately as documented here, add simsusers to the local machine Power Users group, run simsperm, then finally copy the shortcut to the Default User profile.

I'm holding off for AJBs question on the Power User issue before final rollout across the whole site.

Thank Post

Hi - it was a missing comctl32.ocx file. Downloaded and now WIWW OK. Will try the script route first as I am not fully up to speed with WIWW. I am going to run the batch file as a login script using a new domain admins username. If I can do this, I don't need to worry short term about deployment. Thanks again.

PS - will your compiled .exe allow paths and other 'local' variables to be changed?

Thank Post

Nein! Nein!

Have a the script in the startup scripts section of the GPO.
    It will then run in the system context and so have administrative access to the destination computer(s).

You will probably have to put the computer accounts in a group with access to the SIMS share so that they can download the setup executables.

Thank Post

Interesting. I thought that the system context was denied access to the network.

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by ajbritton
    R U sure you waited long enough? When I do this via an MSI and GP, the install takes yonks. Have you tried watching the process list for cpu activity?
    Are you saying that either script, referred to above your post, can be wrapped into an MSI for deployment through GPO? If so, how did you create the relevant MSI? Or, is the script run as a startup script? Sorry if I am being a bit dim here! By the way, I have been able to run the script whilst logged in as an administrator at the client, but this defeats the object of rolling out at startup! Thanks.

Thank Post

Interesting. I thought that the system context was denied access to the network.
    Not quite. It seems that System has 'anonymous' network access, so as long as 'Everyone' has access by the share and file permissions, then this can be made to work.

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by pmassingham
    R U sure you waited long enough? When I do this via an MSI and GP, the install takes yonks. Have you tried watching the process list for cpu activity?
    Are you saying that either script, referred to above your post, can be wrapped into an MSI for deployment through GPO? If so, how did you create the relevant MSI? Or, is the script run as a startup script? Sorry if I am being a bit dim here! By the way, I have been able to run the script whilst logged in as an administrator at the client, but this defeats the object of rolling out at startup! Thanks.
    I used WIWW (Windows Installer Wrapper Wizard) to create an MSI which executes the various SIMS installers. I think tweaked the MSI to set some essential INI values for SIMS.INI (or was it CONNECT.INI, I'm not sure now).

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mark
    Scripted adding the simsuser group to local power users
    I've noticed a potential problem with this. Some of a access rights granted by SIMSPERM are not available to PowerUsers (something on HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT IIRC). I'm working on an AutoIT script which sequences the installation, including copying SIMSPERM.BAT and SUBINCAL.EXE to a local temp folder then running them with the SIMSUSERS group as a parameter. I'll post this when it's tested.
    I'm still eagerly awaiting this ajb - any progress to report??

Thank Post

I've been out and about for a few weeks doing installations and upgrades in schools so haven't had the chance to get into the office to finish testing. I've got a big SIMS roll-out in a secondary school coming up though so I'll have to get it working. Watch this space...

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

A document on http://support.capitaes.co.uk named optimisingsimsdotnetstatupspeed-1.pdf says:
    Seperating SIMSLoad from Pulsar

A step which some network administrators may wish to take is overriding the default SIMS. net behaviour and modifying the SIMS. net shortcut that the user runs. If the shortcut points directly at Puslar.EXE the SIMSLOAD.EXE can be run as part of the user's network logon script. SIMSLOAD will operate without needing to start a subsequent program and can be used in this manner to completely seperate the action of starting SIMS from the checking of upgrades.

It is important to note that each time SIMSApplicationSetup is run on a workstation the shortcuts are recreated to include the call to SIMSLOAD. If a customer wishes to adopt this strategy they must establish an alternative set of shortcuts that thier workstation users are trained to use (including potentially restricting the visibility of the 'standard' SIMS. net shortcuts).
    So you still have the inconvenience of the user slowed down at some point. They're not suggesting this can be done at startup. So a reboot out of hours wouldn't update the machines without a logon.

<edit>
    I've just noticed apeos' post from this thread: http://www.edugeek.net/index.php?nam...&p=26467#26467 with his startup script. I'll be giving that a try on Monday.
    If you wanna do it by startup script still and stop sims from looking for updates before it loads, here is how you do it:

Change the teachers shortcut to "C:\program files\sims\sims .net\pulsar.exe"

The current shortcut has Simsload.exe before pulsar.exe (simsload is what checks for updates.)

To get it to automatically upgrade during computer startup, create a script that will run the following:

\\simsserver\sims\sims\setups\simsapplicationsetup .exe /s
    \\simsserver\sims\sims\setups\simsmanualsetup.exe /s
    \\simsserver\sims\sims\setups\SIMSAMPARKSetup.exe /s

The /s switch does a silent install which i found using different switch combination as capita claimed there wasnt a switch.

Thank Post

I just ran SIMSLOAD at startup and that seemed to do the trick.

Thank Post

I've done my own AutoIt script which I'm hoping to test soon. If it's OK and anyone is interested then I'll post it. It's designed to be used as a GP assigned Startup Script and does the following...

- Check for SIMS already installed. If not, then install SIMS (including running SIMSPERM.BAT)
    - Modify the SIMS.NET shortcut so that it just calls Pulsar.exe
    - Runs SIMSLOAD.EXE

All the SIMS components (SIMSInfrastructureSetup, SIMSApplicationSetup & SIMSManualSetup) run silently but a simple progress bar is displayed to show the user that something is happening.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Lovely! :P

Gimme!

[erm... yes pleeze - i'd be interested! ]

Thank Post

I've done my own AutoIt script which I'm hoping to test soon. If it's OK and anyone is interested then I'll post it. It's designed to be used as a GP assigned Startup Script and does the following...

- Check for SIMS already installed. If not, then install SIMS (including running SIMSPERM.BAT)
    - Modify the SIMS.NET shortcut so that it just calls Pulsar.exe
    - Runs SIMSLOAD.EXE

All the SIMS components (SIMSInfrastructureSetup, SIMSApplicationSetup & SIMSManualSetup) run silently but a simple progress bar is displayed to show the user that something is happening.
    What about the SIMS folder Permissions to Domain Users with Modify Rights ?

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by Grommit
    What about the SIMS folder Permissions to Domain Users with Modify Rights ?
    That's handled by SIMSPERM.BAT

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast