+ Post New Thread
MIS Systems Thread, Getting my Marks In in Technical; Genius Wanted I have an excel spreadsheet. I have an assessment table in Facility CMIS. I need to find out ...

Thank Post

Getting my Marks In

Genius Wanted

I have an excel spreadsheet.

I have an assessment table in Facility CMIS.

I need to find out how to get my Excel Spreadsheet into CMIS.

I have very limited access (As it has been decreed I know nothing) but refuse to manually enter the results via e-portal or similiar. I think I need to set up a template but have no manual to do this, and have been told that one does not exist.

Help, instructions, or a genius would all be gratefully received.

Thank Post
    I am not familiar with CMIS but if you have so little rights as you claim, I doubt it will let you import stuff.

Thank Post
    I'm 99.9% sure that you cant import a spreadsheet into CMIS. You cant copy and paste multiple cells either. If you dont have the administrative access you. Results entry templates are what i think you are refering to. These are what you see on the results entry section in either CMIS or eportal. In all honesty your best bet is to use eportal as this supports the ability to enter the same result for all students. I.e. if most of your students are at grade "C" you can enter this and then enter the different ones.

With no disrespect intended, CMIS is an incredibly complex package. In our school no-one but me messes with the assessment templates. Unless you are a qualified DBA or sys admin you're going to have to bite the bullet and just enter using CMIS or eportal.

Sorry i cant be of more help

Thank Post
    Hi, You can import into CMIS providing you have the rights, using Data Transfer. The manual is available from support, but should not be attempted unless you are confident. Make sure a backup is taken of the data before you attempt it and don't attempt to do it whilst people are using it - if you take a backup, import your data whilst people are using it and then restore the table, of course the changes made in between are lost.
    I would strognly recommend you call support in the first instance to seek further advice.
    Support will advise you, but to actually carry out this for you would be considered consultancy.

Michael Sanderson
    Technical Support
    Serco Learning

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by michael2k6 View Post
    Hi, You can import into CMIS providing you have the rights, using Data Transfer. The manual is available from support, but should not be attempted unless you are confident. Make sure a backup is taken of the data before you attempt it and don't attempt to do it whilst people are using it - if you take a backup, import your data whilst people are using it and then restore the table, of course the changes made in between are lost.
    I would strognly recommend you call support in the first instance to seek further advice.
    Support will advise you, but to actually carry out this for you would be considered consultancy.

Michael Sanderson
    Technical Support
    Serco Learning
    I stand corrected. But as said earlier you will need admin rights. By the sounds of it the effort taken would actually be much more than just entering the data.

Thank Post

Replies

Thanks for replies, I may have misled everyone, I will get the access rights if possible, and think a little bit of effort the first time of data importing is well worthwhile if for the next 5 years, 6 times a year, for 7 year groups, I can click on a button rather than fill the results in via e-portal.

My next port of call is Serco. I will see what they can do for me.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Depending on how your data is formatted in excel, and how much database know how you have, it is possible to do this, however, I would suggest that unless you are looking at lots of data, say a one off migration (thats where I learned the hard way.....) it is too easy to trash the database, and need to start again. If you do this during attendance data entry you could break that as well.

I would stick to eportal/facility entry.

If you are going to go bulk data import, take a backup and do it out of hours. be prepared to check the system for "side effects" of your data import before leaving the system for the next day.

You can check this on a standalone copy of facility, but even this does not prove 100% your data import.

Sorry if this sounds very negative, but I write with personal experience....

RobK

Thank Post

Unfortunately

No not a one off migration I'm afraid.

We have rather foolishly, some would say, started to use a VLE. As a department we said how good it was for Pupil Feedback and Assessment but we know need someway to transfer this data into the reporting system of CMIS. Now the whole school want to use the VLE this problem might just be a good one.

Teachers being a rather good bunch will type the mark into the VLE, then type it in to excel mark books and then even copy it down into their planners. Now "The Management" have said we need to enter it back in to the computer via E-portal. I know I'm crazy but . . . . this does seem like a waste of time for teachers.

As I am not touching the main body of the data I am hoping that the risks are slightly smaller, but I guess I will wait and see what Serco have to say.

Thanks again

coquet636
    Quote Originally Posted by wells-74 View Post
    No not a one off migration I'm afraid.

We have rather foolishly, some would say, started to use a VLE. As a department we said how good it was for Pupil Feedback and Assessment but we know need someway to transfer this data into the reporting system of CMIS. Now the whole school want to use the VLE this problem might just be a good one.

Teachers being a rather good bunch will type the mark into the VLE, then type it in to excel mark books and then even copy it down into their planners. Now "The Management" have said we need to enter it back in to the computer via E-portal. I know I'm crazy but . . . . this does seem like a waste of time for teachers.

As I am not touching the main body of the data I am hoping that the risks are slightly smaller, but I guess I will wait and see what Serco have to say.

Thanks again
    I think your time may be better spent trying to build the assessment/worksheet into the cmis assessment module then allow data to be entered via eportal then export the data to our excel worksheet so cmis works as the data collection method then excel does the functions...

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by coquet636 View Post
    I think your time may be better spent trying to build the assessment/worksheet into the cmis assessment module then allow data to be entered via eportal then export the data to our excel worksheet so cmis works as the data collection method then excel does the functions...
    I completely agree. You always have the choice, but that's what it's there for. It will also do all of the analysing for you, but i know sometimes people would rather use Excel, etc.
    I've worked in a school needing to both import and export data. It took me around 3 or 4 times aslong to make the transfer work than it did to type the data. As for yourself, it was not a one off transfer, so the time spent was well worth it. We did the bulk of our assessments in ePortal, the need for data transfering was to import targets we had in spreadsheets.
    Providing your assessment is the same for all years, or atleast for each key stage, it should be fairly straight forward to to change it between each import.

Perhaps if you are looking at making life easier for the teaching staff and getting the best out of the system in terms of return on investment, and ultimately improve the assessment within school, it would be a good idea to review your assessment model and how you enter and analyse the data?

If you know what you want and how you want it, but you need the technical advise, support is your best bet. If you want advice in terms of best practice and exploring the capabilities of the MIS, a good option would be to speak to your RSDM. If you need more information on contacting support, or your RSDM, feel free to PM me.

Lee - What you said about bulk entry and then changing the individual grades is also a good idea. You have to make sure your data checking is much more thorough though - the more times data is intered, the more room for human error exists. If you miss a student, or get the wrong student, and you have entered them individually it tends to be easier to spot that something is wrong and pinpoint where it happenned than if you're bulk entering them. This way is still much quicker than entering them manually.

Hope this helps!

Thank Post
    can anyone please send me a link to the assessment module in CMIS as am relatively new to both CMIS and Data Management. Am about to join my new job next week as Data Manager and am completely clueless here. I have always worked on SIMS so just a bit worried.

Thank Post
    As suggested in the other 3 threads... If you're panicking enough to post in 4 threads, PM me and we'll have a chat.
    Mic

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread