+ Post New Thread
MIS Systems Thread, Old Users in Technical; Just checking as I think I know the answer, our SIMS Manager has said that we need to change our ...

Thank Post

Old Users

Just checking as I think I know the answer, our SIMS Manager has said that we need to change our user name format as old members of staff aren't deleted so old usernames aren't freed up. I think this is a bit suss as surely the username could be deleted but the person be left in personnel archived.

Any comments?
    Last edited by TechMonkey; 10th October 2008 at 03:42 PM.

Thank Post
    No one ever deleted a user from SIMS?

Thank Post
    Jus started a big clean up and tidy up. I've just deleted the old users from System manager though realistically you just make them inactive. I've also made sure all the staff who have left have left according to SIMS staff. (DONT get me started on how we actually use SIMS here I have enough of a headache at the minute)

I still have to delete some staff from system manager and then create in SIMS and re-import into system manager again (No Comments! I just do OK!)

I can't see why usernames would be a problem if the old user has been deactivated? But then I've never tried it?

4. Thanks to Stuart_C from:

TechMonkey (13th October 2008)

Thank Post
    What you could do is rename the old users to be "alumni_username" as opposed to "username"... you can't use "old" someone'll bound to get offended. It would also mean you could easily see the staff that have left, as they're alphabetically separated from the existing ones.

I'm guessing you have two john smiths or something, and one is long left.

6. Thanks to User3204 from:

TechMonkey (13th October 2008)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by User3204 View Post
    ... you can't use "old" someone'll bound to get offended.
    Funny thing that, we changed our policy on username config a while back on our domain (off topic, sorry)

To minimize fuss, we decided to implement changes only for new accounts and leave the existing ones be so they would be phased over time.

Student usernames were moved into groups called 'Students' and 'Old Students'.
    For staff, I had to use 'Teachers' and 'New Teachers'.

Funny how some people react isn't it!!!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuart_C View Post
    Jus started a big clean up and tidy up. I've just deleted the old users from System manager though realistically you just make them inactive. I've also made sure all the staff who have left have left according to SIMS staff. (DONT get me started on how we actually use SIMS here I have enough of a headache at the minute)

I still have to delete some staff from system manager and then create in SIMS and re-import into system manager again (No Comments! I just do OK!)

I can't see why usernames would be a problem if the old user has been deactivated? But then I've never tried it?
    Thanks. I think we have the same kind of problems so no need to explain When you say about making a user inactive does that free up their username? As ever the Help and Manuals are either useless or contradictory!!

May have to go the rename route if all else fails.

Thank Post
    I don't know... Basically I just hit delete, SIMS tells me thay they can only be made inactive, hit yes and SIMS removes the from the list of system manager users. I've not had the problem of dupliacte usernames, we use a <firstname>.<surname> syntax and I've yet to have someone with the same name.

This sounds a little obvious but have you tried creating a user JUST in system manager, deleting them and then craeting another one with the same username just to see what happens? If you don't create them in the main database they shouldn't interfere with anything.

Thank Post
    Ahhh well there is the slight problem, it isn't actually meant to be my job it was reported to me and the guy who does SIMS has stated that is not possible, which rings alarm bells for me but I can't actually test much.

If you create a User in System Manager I think it is different in that the user can be deleted easily as there are no links, imported from Personnel users are the ones that have to be archived.

Cool though I have some info to go with. Many tas

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread