+ Post New Thread
MIS Systems Thread, SIMS, PARS and Terminal Server Recent Slowness in Technical; Briefly: We've been running PARS and SIMS .Net under MS Terminal Server on a 2003 SP2 box for about 25-30 ...

Thank Post

SIMS, PARS and Terminal Server Recent Slowness

Briefly: We've been running PARS and SIMS .Net under MS Terminal Server on a 2003 SP2 box for about 25-30 concurrent users and all has been fine for well over a year. PARS is used to take registers and this is the only use of the terminal server. Besides security patches, no configuration changes have been made on the TS or sql server since last SIMS update.

We recently upgraded from PARS 2.20 and SIMS June 2008 to PARS 2.269 and SIMS Sep 08 and enabled Windows Authentication for SQL 2005 (as PARS was now using Windows Auth rather than cached sql auth). Yay for changing 3 things at once and making it hard to diagnose issues.

Anyway, a significant proportion of my reliable users say that PARS is running slower than previously, some say PARS itself, others say initial login.

Running perfmon on the terminal server and sql server for 24hrs show nothing out of the ordinary - load on the TS peaks and stays a bit high during the initial scamble to log on for morning and afternoon registers but usage patterns are the same as they were pre-upgrade. The SQL server isn't thrashing disks, the buffer cache hit ratio is at a minimum of 99.5%, there's oodles of ram spare and processor use is a maximum of 55%. SQL is also set to take and hold half the ram as a minimum at startup.

Users have a mandatory profile set when using the TS and all unnecessary visual guff is turned off.

DNS resolves correctly all ways, so Windows Auth for SQL shouldn't be bogging it down, though the TS is being noisy (in terms of informational events, not errors) in the DCs security log.

To add to the confusion, a couple of users have said they found it faster. I'm assuming they don't usually log in when lots of other people are on it.

I'm still digging around to see if there's any clues I've missed, but has anyone got any suggestions?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,107 Times in 785 Posts
    Is it the first initial login to SQL as this can take longer than normal so the first person to login to SQL will complain about the slowness.
    Have you checked the login speeds first thing in a morning i.e. be the first to login to Sims?
    Only some people you say are finding it quicker. Know it sounds daft but have you any login times from these users that say it is slower?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by bossman View Post
    Is it the first initial login to SQL as this can take longer than normal so the first person to login to SQL will complain about the slowness.
    Have you checked the login speeds first thing in a morning i.e. be the first to login to Sims?
    Only some people you say are finding it quicker. Know it sounds daft but have you any login times from these users that say it is slower?
    Sorry. by "initial login" I mean initial login to the TS, should have made that clear.

When I log into the TS early in the morning it's speedy and I've been logging in and out regularly over the last couple of days to see if I can replicate their issues. The TS account I use is identical to a teacher. It does slow down a bit if multiple users launch PARS at identical times (a single PARS instance momentarily sucks up to 25% CPU), but it's not slower than it was in July.

I've asked the users who say it's slower "how much slower?", but responses have been vague or "I went and did something else, when I came back it was up". I've tasked some reliable ones with jotting down where in the process it's slow/how slow.

Thank Post
    Do you use Sophos or antivirus software that does on Access Scanning ?

Thank Post
    We use mcafee, but on-access scanning is turned off on the terminal server and the sims server

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread